Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Floating Babies  (Read 3454 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Floating Babies
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2013, 01:03:31 pm »

Wouldn't babies fall down, though? They spawn on the tile their mother stands on, not in her arms.
I've seen quite a lot of Dorf babies in my time and they all appear 1 tile around the mother when they are given birth to. So there's that.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2013, 03:01:15 pm »

The things we come up with one this site...

Well, there's always the DFusion "empregnate" plugin that makes a female pregnant with the timer set to 10 ticks.

Also, we must wonder if the velocity of the mother is transferred to the baby. For example, mother takes 10z fall, gives birth to baby after falling 7z. Does the baby suffer the effects of the whole 10z, or just the last 3z?
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

lorb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2013, 04:06:43 pm »

You may want to set your FPS-cap to 1 prior to making your mommydwarf a fallingdwarf to make it easier to save at the right moment.
Please be gracious in judging my english. (I am not a native speaker/writer.)
"This tile is supported by that wall."

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2013, 04:36:29 pm »

FPS is not the same as timer ticks per second.

Eg, flashing animations like 2 entities on a single tile, or lovely flora like squirming tentacles will update while paused, and each time the tile gets drawn (updated or not) is a frame.

Dwarven decision making and movement happens every timer tick, with a maximum threshold of timer ticks being equal to the FPS. (Usually it is some fraction thereof, unless you turn on fastdwarf.)

Mommy's midnight flight (to test if she's actually a witch! LOL!) Has her falling at a rate measured in timer ticks. Usually, doubletapping the spacebar from a paused state will advance one tick.

Dwarves usually fall at a rate of about 5 ticks per second, meaning that if you drop mommy 3 zlevels, you have a good chance of catching her before she hits the ground.

That's just anecdotal experience though.

lorb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2013, 05:22:53 pm »

In df, fps is the same as ticks per second or whatever you want to call it. (steps, time unit ...)
The graphical refresh rate has it's own init entry called G_FPS

Creatures fall with a rate of 6 ticks per z-level.
Please be gracious in judging my english. (I am not a native speaker/writer.)
"This tile is supported by that wall."

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2013, 05:53:20 pm »

I always play with a graphics pack, which probably explains it then.

Ascii mode reminds me too much of really old BBS games.

SharkForce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2013, 02:32:50 am »

all this FPS/ticks talk is rather a moot point anyways.

as has already pointed out, a period can be used to simply advance 1 tick. no mucking around with double-tapping the space bar and hoping you're quick enough required.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2013, 10:47:40 pm »

Nor FPS cap. Just . . . . until the desired number of frames has been advanced.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2013, 07:16:12 pm »

In the same file that most people change to make warm/damp stone notifications to not pause the game, you should also be able to make births pause the game too. Not 100% sure though.
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2013, 07:30:44 pm »

You're correct, Person. You can force the game to pause and recenter when a dwarf gives birth. Coulda swore that was default, though...
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2013, 07:33:39 pm »

too busy watching grass grow to run this experiment....

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2013, 07:52:42 pm »

too busy watching grass grow to run this experiment....
DF, a world of excitement and science.

Coalwalker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2013, 08:13:49 pm »

You're correct, Person. You can force the game to pause and recenter when a dwarf gives birth. Coulda swore that was default, though...
It's not default. May have been in a previous version, though. Can't say I'd blame Taody for changing it; with 100 dwarves running about, one more useless child added to the bunch means nothing. Come back when he reaches adulthood, please.
So to recap, one minute everything was going just great, and the next we have caverns collapsing, firebreathing cave beasts, underground brush fires, a screaming swarm of poltergheists back for revenge, zombies in the corridors, drunken brawls in the dining halls, magma pouring into the caverns, rotting miasma everywhere, insanity, madness, and a flying crocodile heading right towards us!
Pages: 1 [2]