Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Floating Babies  (Read 3455 times)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Floating Babies
« on: January 08, 2013, 12:58:57 am »

I thank wierd for the formatty stuff, and basically everything here.

--FLOATING BABIES--
Premise: To initiate a bug that keeps dwarves from falling properly after a save occurs with a falling dwarf in mid air, followed up with a load.
In previous science experiments, this has a chance of getting a status flag ("falling") stuck on the dwarf, with all downward motion suspended.

Procedure: To create a fortress with a modded set of raws to remove corporeal requirements for dwarves (food, drink, alcohol dependent), wait for the initial marriages to occur, then attempt to suspend the married females in the "falling limbo" state.

Ultimate goal: To determine if scheduled pregnancies of married females will result in births while "in flight."
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 01:17:15 am by Xantalos »
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Floating Babies
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 01:06:28 am »

The basic premise is to initiate a bug that keeps dwarves from falling properly after a save occurs with a falling dwarf in mid air, followed up with a load.

In previous science experiments, this has a chance of getting a status flag ("falling") stuck on the dwarf, with all downward motion suspended.

The proposed experiment is to create a fortress with a modded set of raws to remove corporeal requirements for dwarves (food, drink, alcohol dependent), wait for the initial marriages to occur, then attempt to suspend the married females in the "falling limbo" state.

The goal is to determine if scheduled pregnancies of married females will result in births while "in flight."

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 01:10:04 am »

Well, you just summarized it better than I could. Mind if I cannibalize it and put it in the OP?
Sig! Onol

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 01:13:01 am »

Go right ahead.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 01:17:26 am »

Thank you.
Sig! Onol

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 01:22:32 am »

Ok, does anyone have any additional suggestions to refine this experiment?

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2013, 01:26:53 am »

Well, we need a tower, but that's obvious.
Other than that ... I can't think of anything, and I have to go to bed anyhow.
Maybe turn invasions off so our goblinoid friends don't interrupt our plans?
Probably would be a good idea to max embark points out so we can focus solely on flight and none of that silly 'food' oh wait we're removing that.
...[NOBREATHE]?
Sig! Onol

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2013, 01:29:53 am »

For expediency, it could be possble to make use of teleportation to teleport the dwarf several zlevels up in the air while paused, then quickly doubletap the spacebar.

Since all that is required is a falling dwarf, the method of inducing the fall should not impact the experiment, and would reduce the setup time and complexity.

I think DFHack has a teleport option for dwarves, but am unsure. I know runesmith does, but it is obsoleted. Does therapist have this ability?

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2013, 01:31:04 am »

No clue.
Sig! Onol

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2013, 01:44:31 am »

You can teleport a dorf onto a tower 10 z-levels up, and then collapse it.

Also, I recall an old bug (maybe fixed, maybe not) about dwarves being stuck in stasis being unaffected by anything, including demons and the fall of the fortress itself.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2013, 02:00:28 am »

Would it be easier to fling the dwarfette using a bridge?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2013, 03:12:24 am »

You can teleport a dorf onto a tower 10 z-levels up, and then collapse it.

Also, I recall an old bug (maybe fixed, maybe not) about dwarves being stuck in stasis being unaffected by anything, including demons and the fall of the fortress itself.

Well, in the Battlefailed example, the miners who were trapped "in stasis" did not starve or thirst. They weren't affected by anything whatsoever, actually, so when a forgotten beast destroyed the fort, the last suspended miner was the sole survivor and released mostly so the poor fool could finally die.

So, you wouldn't need to remove the dwarves' need to eat, drink or sleep except to lighten your work load so you can concentrate on the experiment.

I think Wierd's idea of dropping them off a bridge several stories up and tapping the space bar to pause/unpause is most likely to get them in the air safely. You could also hit the period key for a frame-by-frame. :P

I'd also suggest letting married migrants settle for about one month before tossing them. That should give them plenty of time for initial copulation.

[edit]

I suppose we should just be glad Girlinhat didn't jump in on that conversation; recalling what she's done in the past, she would have gone with my "drop a million pregnant women off a really high tower and hope one of them gives birth before she hits the ground" idea. :P
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 03:14:49 am by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2013, 09:52:50 am »

Wouldn't babies fall down, though? They spawn on the tile their mother stands on, not in her arms.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Kofthefens

• Bay Watcher
  • Keep calm and OH GOD CAPYBARAS
    • View Profile
    • Marshland Games
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2013, 10:28:54 am »

Wouldn't babies fall down, though? They spawn on the tile their mother stands on, not in her arms.

I think the goal is also to see what will happen to them. If they end up falling, then they go splat and everything is good!
I don't care about your indigestion-- How are you is a greeting, not a question.

The epic of Îton Sákrith
The Chronicles of HammerBlaze
My website - Free games

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2013, 12:11:32 pm »

This is what science is made of. PTW.
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.
Pages: [1] 2