Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Goblin Thief a friend of nature?  (Read 1401 times)

Urist McMontros

• Bay Watcher
  • HHNNNNNNNNNNNNNG
    • View Profile
Goblin Thief a friend of nature?
« on: December 30, 2012, 03:33:55 pm »

I made a thread a few days ago about what to do with the Trolls I captured in cage traps. I decided that I would make a pit to throw my prisoner goblins and kobolds in, as a sort of hellish arena.

Turns out that Goblin thieves are buddy-buddy with wild animals, and won't attack them (or vice-versa). That means my pit of 26 Troglodytes, a Troll, a Blind Cave Ogre, a Reacher, and a Voracious Cave Crawler have gone to waste.

Is this a bug, or is it intentional? I was honestly looking forward to a bloodbath for Armok, and I'm disappointed.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Goblin Thief a friend of nature?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2012, 03:44:44 pm »

I can't say I've ever tried to actually use goblin thieves. I just station my soldiers in the animal stockpile and cut them down when they escape the grasp of the dwarf trying to pull them somewhere. Catch some goblin soldiers and try them instead; for bonus points, strip them first.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2012, 04:27:11 pm »

Yup, it seems that most (all?) released hostiles end up buddies. Gobbos won't attack human guards that get caged, captured wild animals, captured elves, etc. Zombies might be an exception, but I haven't tested it.

It's a bit of a bummer if you're looking to have some gladiatorial fun.

Urist McMontros

• Bay Watcher
  • HHNNNNNNNNNNNNNG
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2012, 04:32:26 pm »

Yup, it seems that most (all?) released hostiles end up buddies. Gobbos won't attack human guards that get caged, captured wild animals, captured elves, etc. Zombies might be an exception, but I haven't tested it.

It's a bit of a bummer if you're looking to have some gladiatorial fun.

Well that's a joy-killer. I really wanted some blood.

I guess I'll just flood the whole pit and drown the bastards. I'll test the soldiers and some tame animals first though, to see if there's a difference.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2012, 04:33:11 pm »

Dumping tons of nanny goats in can still be pretty satisfying.

Skid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2012, 04:59:36 pm »

Prisoners generally lose all their aggressive behavior and revert to just trying to constantly flee the map. 
Playing a cheesemaker in an average Fortress 'round here would be. Freaking. Terrifying.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2012, 05:14:35 pm »

it isn't the goblin or the pit i have certainly disposed of goblins in such pits before. Maybe the animals are the problem?  Wild animals are almost never hostile to outsiders (or every kea flying over your fort would detect goblin ambushes and engage them). tame the animals first and they will slaughter the thieves
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 05:16:16 pm by thegoatgod_pan »
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Urist McRas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2012, 05:37:47 pm »

That means my pit of 26 Troglodytes, a Troll, a Blind Cave Ogre, a Reacher, and a Voracious Cave Crawler have gone to waste.

Use it for training marksdwarfs. There will be plenty of blood.
The fortresses are penal colonies.
The mountainhome has far too many degenerates too deal with by itself, so it sends out minor nobles to establish penal colonies across the world.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2012, 06:01:31 pm »

it isn't the goblin or the pit i have certainly disposed of goblins in such pits before. Maybe the animals are the problem?  Wild animals are almost never hostile to outsiders (or every kea flying over your fort would detect goblin ambushes and engage them). tame the animals first and they will slaughter the thieves

This. Wild animals are only attacked by people with [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] token, which in vanilla games means only undead and husks. Titans, megabeasts and invaders ignore them.

Now, if you pit a titan, megabeast or forgotten beast in with the goblins, that'll do the trick.

Or just tame the animals, but be aware that only war-trained animals, and ones with [LIKES_FIGHTING] token will attack the thieves, the rest will flee unless cornered. The same is mostly true for caged and released invaders, so it won't be much of a fight. And even war animals fare poorly against large daggers, let alone armed and armored goblin soldiers.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2012, 03:36:21 pm »

You sure these just aren't [BENIGN] creatures?

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2012, 04:33:33 pm »

You throw enough stuff in and they will start to fight eventually.  Once it get crowded enough.

Much simpler, and more useful, to use them for target practice.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

SharkForce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2013, 11:42:04 pm »

You throw enough stuff in and they will start to fight eventually.  Once it get crowded enough.

Much simpler, and more useful, to use them for target practice.

yup. clearly the problem is that you need more stuff. bomb them with 49 female turkeys worth of poults all hatching at the same time or something :)

Nirreln

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2013, 01:18:24 am »

This reminds me of an old dwarven saying, "When in doubt add magma."
Quote from: a rather odd engraving
This is a masterful image of your FPS and the HFS. The HFS is committing a depraved act on your FPS.