Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Branching story lines in RPGs  (Read 7342 times)

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
Re: Branching story lines in RPGs
« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2012, 04:18:26 pm »

Ren'Py (and by extension the Ren'Py community) is mostly interested in dating games. By exchewing graphics, an individual or small team could easily make a rpg-style text-adventure with branching storylines. I've made some forays into this, making an open-world post-apocalyptic puzzle game which supported at least three ways of solving every puzzle, but while there were different endings and player-goals I didn't go the whole hog and have fully divergent story-lines.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 03, 2012, 04:37:48 pm »

so, what's the branches to ending ratios?

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2012, 05:11:48 pm »

You asking me? Hard to say: it's not like a choose-your-own-adventure where there are a series of choices which lead off into different directions. The design was more like, 'here's a world- choose what your goals are and how you like to deal with the challenges'. There's about a dozen or more puzzles, but you don't have to solve all of them- the game revolves around keeping your stress low and motivation high, so the challenge this poses allows for creative and divergent choices as you proceed. At the end, what you've found out, picked up and chosen in conversations, opens up different ending sections (six endings, if I recall).

I intend to make a more NPC focused diplomacy game where you have to balance the concerns of different factions while persuing your own agenda, with each conflict being amenable to resolution in at least three different ways each time, and optional followers you can recruit along the way who give advice and grow to respect/disrespect love/fear you depending on what choices you make (with their dispositions opening new dialogue options etc.)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]