Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help with world gen please: Necromancers, Savagery?  (Read 837 times)

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
Help with world gen please: Necromancers, Savagery?
« on: December 01, 2012, 09:10:55 am »

It's been ages since I tried to gen a new world and it's a lot more complicated than I remember. Basically I want to create a hot, savage world. I increased the min and max temperatures and increased the min savagery to 50 instead of 0. All my maps are being rejected with the message "savagery not evenly distributed." I tried changing the savagery variation but that didn't help.

Can someone give me a hand here? What does it mean by "not evenly distributed" and why does it need to be evenly distributed? How do I fix it? Am I going about this all wrong?

EDIT: This problem has been solved, I'm now looking to mess with the necromancers. See most recent posts for details. Thanks!
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 06:29:37 am by Sappho »

squishynoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Savagery not evenly distributed? Custom world gen help please!
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2012, 09:22:16 am »

Not sure if it will help you, but at adv worldgen, check the options near the end:

You'll see:
Minimum Number of Mid-Savagery Squares <number>
Minimum Number of Low-Savagery Squares <number>
Minimum Number of High-Savagery Squares <number>

Try setting them all to zero.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2012, 09:44:02 am »

Aha, that worked, thanks. World is still a bit green and pleasant-looking, though. What should I change to make it more desert-and-badlands-y?

squishynoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2012, 10:06:04 am »

I guess by working on rainfall and drainage. Never really played with them, anyway.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2012, 10:17:59 am »

Hm... I will experiment. What about necromancers/goblins/zombies/etc? Any easy way to increase their general presence in the world?

Basically I want a superharsh world full of ridiculous amounts of strong enemies for a project to be announced at a later date, assuming I manage to make it work.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2012, 10:29:28 am »

Necromancers require a pantheon religeon, and a god of death. You can either add death gods to dwarves and goblins, or just change/add conditions for necromancers to appear.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2012, 11:43:34 am »

Hm... I'd rather not  mess with the raws since I'm trying to plan a community game. Maybe instead of increasing necromancers a lot, I could focus on other beasts. What happens if I crank up the numbers of caves? Are they automatically filled with hostile critters? Or will I run into problems if I put hundreds of caves everywhere?

I remember that if I crank up the megabeasts and titans too high, civilizations tend to die out quickly... I want to make sure there's at least one surviving human, dwarf, and elf civilization.

I'll keep playing with it but suggestions are very welcome. I'm terrible at these things.

In case it helps, here's my idea: an adventurer succession game in a devastated world. Sort of a post-apocalyptic idea, not safe to go outside. There's a safe haven in the middle of the map but it's difficult to get to (to try to keep monsters away, of course) and the player has to make it there, locate the entrance, and get inside and lock the doors behind them without letting any beasties in, then retire there (made possible with DFHack). The challenge will be to see how many adventurers can make it without raining doom down upon the whole place.

Replica

• Bay Watcher
  • Temp. leave of absence
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2012, 12:20:28 pm »

Perfect World DF allows you to create all savage, all desert world gens.
They also be made entirely flat if you are looking for a desolate badland kind of gen.

It doesn't allow you to change temperature though, so you'll still have got and cold poles, but that can be somewhat mitigated by just raising the overall temperature.
Quote from: tahujdt
I don't know about unicorns, but back in .95, one of my PA soldiers was diagnosed with power armor. I drew a fairly good picture about it, but my science project (a bunny) pissed all over it.
Fallout: Equestria - Index of Stable Reports x Fallout: Equestria - Orange

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2012, 12:45:27 pm »

Ohhhh.... I didn't know about that! That will make things much easier, thanks!

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2012, 06:13:45 am »

Can anyone give me a hand locating the necromancer information in the raws? I might like to tinker with it depending on how much control I have and how complicated it is, but I can't seem to find any references to them. Thanks!

EDIT: Watching world gen it seems that necromancers will only build towers in places that civilizations would build towns, ie in non-savage areas. What I really would like, if possible, is for necromancers to build towers in savage areas, away from civilization. Is there any possible way to do this? Thanks!
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 06:29:06 am by Sappho »

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
Re: Help with world gen please: Necromancers, Savagery?
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2012, 07:53:34 am »

Necromancers (and vampires, and other such things) are randomly generated. However you can still add a custom variant, an example is in the 'interaction example' folder called interaction_secret.

Copy that to the object folder, and add/change a number of conditions that allow worldgen characters to become a necromancer, which should be among these tags:
[INTERACTION:EXAMPLE SECRET]
   [I_SOURCE:SECRET]
      [IS_NAME:the secrets of life and death]
      [IS_SPHERE:DEATH]
      [IS_SECRET_GOAL:IMMORTALITY]
      [IS_SECRET:SUPERNATURAL_LEARNING_POSSIBLE]
      [IS_SECRET:MUNDANE_RESEARCH_POSSIBLE]
      [IS_SECRET:MUNDANE_TEACHING_POSSIBLE]
      [IS_SECRET:MUNDANE_RECORDING_POSSIBLE:objects/text/book_instruction.txt:objects/text/secret_death.txt]

I havnt realy experimented with these yet, adding IS_SPHERE tags for other shered like REBIRTH, THRALLDOM, etc should up the chances a bit. You can find a full list of those on the wiki by searching 'spheres'.

Though it may be a lot simplier to just give dwarves and goblins a death god, like so:
   [RELIGION:PANTHEON]
   [RELIGION_SPHERE:DEATH]
After adding that to dwarves I have seen tower pop up on things like evil glaciers.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!