Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Empty space in laptop?  (Read 3867 times)

ISP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Empty space in laptop?
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2012, 07:28:42 pm »

I havent even seen a floppy disk or drive in what... 5 to 8 years, I'm not sure what the hell noises they make.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2012, 07:35:50 pm »

Also, even if your laptop has room to slap another hard drive in there, I wouldn't assume this to be a good idea, because you don't know why that space is empty to begin with. You can't necessarily be sure if the laptop can supply enough power to it in addition to the other things, or if heat would be a problem, for instance. It would probably be fine, but I wouldn't assume anything.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2012, 07:41:06 pm »

Also, even if your laptop has room to slap another hard drive in there, I wouldn't assume this to be a good idea, because you don't know why that space is empty to begin with. You can't necessarily be sure if the laptop can supply enough power to it in addition to the other things, or if heat would be a problem, for instance. It would probably be fine, but I wouldn't assume anything.
If anything he would lose 20 minutes of battery life. Well at least now you can do a SSD + HDD combo for the win.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2012, 07:46:06 pm »

I wasn't talking about battery life, I was talking about the actual voltage and current supplied to the machine's components. I'm not sure of the details of laptop power supplies, but I'd rather not make any assumptions either.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

rutsber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2012, 07:49:04 pm »

I meant Roboboy33, not you.

Also, floppy drives never really beeped.
I think he meant that if you used the empty space as a storage container for a flash drive, anytime you moved the laptop it would bounce around in there.
Gave me an idea. I'm gonna add the milkable tag to the male minotaur. MMMMmmm minotaur cheese.
A loud angry voice and instinct. "FUCK OFF URIST THIS TABLE IS MINE!"

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2012, 07:50:26 pm »

I wasn't talking about battery life, I was talking about the actual voltage and current supplied to the machine's components. I'm not sure of the details of laptop power supplies, but I'd rather not make any assumptions either.
Oh, well if they are using the SATA standard then voltage should be the same and current wouldn't affect much except as i said run the battery down a bit more, current is the biggest thing to change around in a computer without causing too much adverse effects.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2012, 07:55:04 pm »

I meant Roboboy33, not you.

Also, floppy drives never really beeped.
I think he meant that if you used the empty space as a storage container for a flash drive, anytime you moved the laptop it would bounce around in there.

Oh. I assumed he meant something like an SSD, not a USB drive.

Oh, well if they are using the SATA standard then voltage should be the same and current wouldn't affect much except as i said run the battery down a bit more, current is the biggest thing to change around in a computer without causing too much adverse effects.

Again, I don't know much about laptop power supplies, but I know that desktop ones are generally rated for how much power they can, er, supply, at a given time. It's unlikely that a single additional hard drive would cause an issue, but frankly, there can be any number of reasons why something inside the case has gone unused; I've had electronics where external ports aren't even supported by the hardware, for that matter, so there's no guarantee it would even work.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2012, 08:00:50 pm »

You have a good point, if the manufacturers are dicks they can disable the extra port but that usually means more effort on their end. Dual drives is their new gimmick now so they probably expect somebody to ask for a extra drive. Was there a extra bay door underneath the laptop for this specific spot?

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2012, 10:30:40 pm »

greatorder, are you thinking of modems?

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2012, 10:34:00 pm »

greatorder, are you thinking of modems?
This post both confuses me (since people are still calling things modems) and has nostalgia.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2012, 11:08:37 pm »

Beep Beep Kchhhhhhh beep bop beep kchhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh <robot groan> bink-abink

Ding! :) You have mail!

EDIT: Yes there was a ding, it's coming back now.

Also yeah there was some weird removable media drive that was quickly obsolete between floppy drive and CDs. The Career Center I went to in High School must have used them because my senior year the computer wizard guy was tossing about 50 of them out and I nabbed one from the garbage pretty much. I don't know what they are called though. Zip drive or something maybe?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zip_drive

Yup it was.

I might still have it lost somewhere but I probably have tossed it by now. I never used it.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 11:19:19 pm by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2012, 11:36:52 pm »

I want to know why this guy thinks flash drives make a lot of noise.
It's a laptop, so stashing a flash drive in there would probably result in a lot of rattling as it was carried around, since there is no port for it - it'd just be a hidden spot for something he didn't want people to find, and an impractical one at that.

At least that's how I'm interpreting it.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2012, 05:54:11 am »

This seems to be an amazingly good idea for smuggling goodies into festivals.  Can anyone recommend me a laptop?  Performance is basically unimportant, empty space is the priority.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2012, 10:18:15 am »

This seems to be an amazingly good idea for smuggling goodies into festivals.  Can anyone recommend me a laptop?  Performance is basically unimportant, empty space is the priority.
Get a netbook and empty the insides out then. Cheaper and less useful than a laptop, but you lose a bit of space.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2012, 01:41:31 pm »

I havent even seen a floppy disk or drive in what... 5 to 8 years, I'm not sure what the hell noises they make.

These are the noises they make.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.
Pages: 1 [2]