Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Would you ever consent to give a free-thinking AI civil rights(or an equivelant)?

Of course, all sentient beings deserve this.
Sure, so long as they do not slight me.
I'm rather undecided.
No, robots are machines.
Some people already enjoy too many rights as it is.
A limited set of rights should be granted.
Another option leaning torwards AI rights.
Another option leaning against AI rights.

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]

Author Topic: Would AI qualify for civil rights?  (Read 14193 times)

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
Re: Would AI qualify for civil rights?
« Reply #165 on: September 21, 2012, 01:16:34 am »

It's basically the result of us liking nice discrete boxes to put our analog reality in. That is to say, the word is all but worthless. :P

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: September 21, 2012, 09:35:28 am »

The word "consciousness" is being thrown around here quite a lot. I still don't understand what it means. Is it like a soul or something? Someone give me a simple example of consciousness.

I don't think a convincing, simple example exists, else Flare and I wouldn't have had such a debate.  :)  The best we can do is say that we're all conscious and sort of intuitively understand it.  It's you, the part of you that's looking out of your eyes and experiencing the world.  It's more than a simple machine with inputs and outputs (not to be confused with the claim that machines can't be conscious), since there's no "person" within such a simple machine to experience what's happening.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: September 21, 2012, 09:40:38 am »

Some current neurological theories put it as a post process, active and aware only after the fact.  'You' make up your mind before you are aware, and your mind justifies it[your choice] only after the fact.

Kinda an interesting variation of Freudian logics.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 09:42:43 am by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: September 21, 2012, 10:15:50 am »

That makes sense and is what I would expect really.  The thought process happens sort of invisibly behind your consciousness and feeds into it like any other sensory input.  Your consciousness mostly or doesn't "think" at all, it's a largely perceiving system .  That does sort of make it a bit superfluous... but it's probably an important part of the whole negative stimulus system.  Even if that could probably be abstracted away...
Through pain, I find wisdom.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]