Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Best use for silver bars?  (Read 7008 times)

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
Re: Best use for silver bars?
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2012, 10:59:22 am »

I thought that bolt effectiveness was not based on mass but sharpness. Nobody can agree. In the adamantine thread someone said that adamantine bolts were the best they tried and other people said they were the worst.

Still, if you like using traps, make spiked silver balls. They're more of a blunt-force trap component and they hit three times so something dense like silver would be a good fit.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=116151.0

We DO have a well researched answer now. Read linked thread.

TLDR; Use ANY metal bolt, it'll work - if you have lots of silver, go ahead and make silver bolts.

darkgloomie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2012, 11:15:23 am »

I am going to import stone, but in general I have better uses for it.

Namely, some slabs to appease restless ghosts -.- nothing too annoying yet, but i don't want anybody scared to death due to a murderous ghost I couldn't prevent.

Canadark

• Bay Watcher
  • meet me in the mead hall
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2012, 11:21:00 am »

Isn't silver the ideal for mashing weapons like maces and war-hammers?
You all do know that we everytime we gen a world in DF, a new universe is created somewhere, and everytime we delete a save we kill a whole world?
Aye, we are Armok, god of blood, evil, villager gutting, fortress building, legend making and elf thongs.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2012, 11:31:29 am »

Been mentioned.

Have everyone bring tons of stone and buy every rock. Even stupid ores like garnierite. That will encourage them to bring more rock.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

jcnorris00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2012, 11:42:11 am »

Look up the two slit method for getting past the aquifer.  Since you're dealing with aquifer-bearing stone instead of soil, you can modify the technique to use stone smoothing instead of digging out soil and building walls.  It's pretty quick.

I think everyone has mentioned the good uses for silver, with hammers, spiked balls, and bolts being best.  Crossbows would be good, too, but apparently the mountainhome keeps the secret of forging silver crossbows for themselves.
My contribution to dwarven science: the dwarven kiddie pool

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2012, 11:46:17 am »

The two-slit method has been mentioned, and I think the OP mentioned he had tried it already.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2012, 01:54:13 pm »

Silver crafts, toys, instruments and mugs to trade with.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2012, 02:04:06 pm »

Silver flasks for military! Forgot about that one.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2012, 08:33:14 pm »

Silver hammers and maces make very good military weapons due to their weight. These weapons are good against armored foes (Scroll to the very bottom and read the chart).

Silver has also been found to deal plenty of penetration damage when used against armor, by this thread.

The value of silver is also pretty high, making it good for furniture, crafts and decorations. It can be made into the following alloys:
     Billon = 1 copper + 1 silver (no value gain). Silver colored.
     Black Bronze = 2 copper + 1 gold + 1 silver (no value gain, not weapon useable). Violet colored.
     Electrum = 1 gold + 1 silver (no value gain). Gold colored.
     Sterling Silver = 3 copper + 1 silver (no value gain). Silver colored.

I have had a lot of silver in my fortresses, mostly coming from galena rock. Your best bet is to get some blacksmiths and metal crafters to make furniture and stud things with silver. If you have a color preference, or perhaps lots of copper, you can also turn it into those various alloys.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Berossus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2012, 04:31:27 am »

In that case, id get my best metalcrafter to make masterwork silver-crafts, which Id then trade for steel weapons/armor. Thats the way my other fortress operates. No metal save copper and gold (not even bronze) but everyone is so clad in steel because one masterwork gold craft yields between 3500 and 5600 urists. I reckon silver would work much the same, just with a (obviously) lower yield, but still...
My son, many speak of the honor in war.
My preferred method is to wait until their back is turned, then impale them with a pike held by someone else.
Preferrably from a distance.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2012, 05:02:23 am »

I always made bolts. Can never have too many bolts.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

clockwork

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Performer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2012, 04:23:19 pm »

Silver war hammers are very good...

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2012, 10:02:01 pm »

Silver war hammers are very good...
Against armored opponents. Not versus megabeasts and other creatures. Hammerdwarves with silver hammers should be your homefront defense, mixed up with a few others for support.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2012, 10:37:44 pm »

Bolts! A stack of 25 masterwork silver bolts sells for 3000, 6000 if you sell it to humans. Also quickly gets you a legendary weaponsmith while you're at it. I pour out a constant supply of silver bolts for my military to waste on gobbo shooting
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together
Pages: 1 [2]