Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I have never found a cave of something.  (Read 1222 times)

Captain Willy

• Bay Watcher
  • I like rum.
    • View Profile
I have never found a cave of something.
« on: September 05, 2012, 09:27:03 pm »

I have experienced most of dwarf fortress at least once, except for lairs of something. I even have a bad habit of making new worlds when I'm bored so all the more opportunity. Are they just really rare or am I unlucky. Do they show up on map stream, like when it says there is a river or town in that square?

I think something else living on the map would be cool, a little competition, at least int he start.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Re: I have never found a cave of something.
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 09:54:19 pm »

In the init.txt files, there is a way to make lairs show up on the embark screen. Use the wiki to find it and utilize it. My last fortress was (accidentally) on a Night Troll Lair.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 10:34:27 pm »

I turn on caves always visible and I've never found one either.  It would be useful to hear any anecdotes about how to find such a thing for myself as well.  Is there any specific indication on the world map or anything?
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2012, 12:33:32 am »

I turn on caves always visible and I've never found one either.  It would be useful to hear any anecdotes about how to find such a thing for myself as well.  Is there any specific indication on the world map or anything?
It will show up on the region map looking like a boulder. The local map will then have a square of boulder icons denoting exactly where the cave is.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2012, 12:42:30 am »

It helps to set the number of semi-mega beasts and sites higher
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2012, 08:38:13 am »

I have accidentally embarked on a "lair".  In my case, it was a bit of hillside covered in about two dozen bits of elf-gear and craft goods.  Apparently, not all lairs are in caves.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2012, 08:43:51 am »

On my map lairs/caves looked like the square icon (like trees views from one level up). But this may be the fault of a bad tileset.
My wooden badge was delicious.

vadia

• Bay Watcher
  • tacky picture given the forum; I know.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2012, 10:06:41 am »

Embarking on them often sets a new level of difficulty.  How long can you go without your next door neighbor the bronze collosus realizing you're next door (as soon as I realized he wasn't going to automatically attack, I became complacent and FUN ensued.)

Adequate Swimmer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2012, 10:30:59 am »

Next strange mood, keep fingers crossed for artifact hatch cover.
[VALUE:PEACE:0]