Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: When Should I use candy  (Read 2293 times)

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Re: When Should I use candy
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2012, 04:07:55 pm »

If you lack the candy, I'd say just use it for weapons/helmets/mail shirts, in that order of priority.
This order right here. Of course as long as you have a wafer you can technically have infinite adamantine by minting coins and then melting them down again, over and over.
Yeah, I heard of this cheat, but I feel it decreases the !!fun!! of the game.

It's not really a cheat, since it doesn't involve modifying the game to give yourself incredible power with no effort (would would probably just be raws modding anyway). You still have to expend the time and labor to forge and melt the candy, and I don't think the exchange rate is particularly high anyway.

It depends on what you do with that "incredible power".

As for original post, I would say wait until your armorers are better skilled, then proceed to use your candy.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

vadia

• Bay Watcher
  • tacky picture given the forum; I know.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2012, 04:44:05 pm »

If you lack the candy, I'd say just use it for weapons/helmets/mail shirts, in that order of priority.
This order right here. Of course as long as you have a wafer you can technically have infinite adamantine by minting coins and then melting them down again, over and over.
Yeah, I heard of this cheat, but I feel it decreases the !!fun!! of the game.

It's not really a cheat, since it doesn't involve modifying the game to give yourself incredible power with no effort (would would probably just be raws modding anyway). You still have to expend the time and labor to forge and melt the candy, and I don't think the exchange rate is particularly high anyway.
Whether it is a cheat or not is not the issue.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2012, 05:07:09 pm »

I'd go the route of letting your smiths train on lesser metals first, You'll probably get a legendary weaponsmith and/or armorsmith through a mood soon enough, if not at least they'll be skilled up moderately through practice.

Darkgamma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2012, 05:27:35 pm »

Unlimited cotton candy is a very good way to attract all sorts of bronze (or water, or vomit- and slade-based) big children that roam the world. It's also a good way to mutilate them, just as well...
if it's a blob made of steel, don't fight it. it may not heal, but it probably doesn't need to.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2012, 09:30:21 pm »

The biggest danger with early candy can be summed up as follows:
1. Candy is expensive, the extra wealth attracts more goblins.

2. Your candy-armed militia will surely slaughter these goblins, but due to military inexperience and probably goblin archers, you will certainly lose a few people as well.

3. The survivors will tantrum, this would be OK, except candy weapons make tantrums go a whole lot worse. A moderately skilled dwarf with a candy axe can go through a dining room like a hot knife through a tallow roast. Only close to the horrific legendary miner tantrum/berserk insanity.

sO...yeah, good luck and Armok have mercy on your soul
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?
Pages: 1 [2]