Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A Question About Caves  (Read 1106 times)

Hypo0008

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Hypo0008
A Question About Caves
« on: August 04, 2012, 09:45:58 pm »

Hello there, I recently got back into playing Dwarf Fortress. I have the genesis mod installed and I'm having a blast with Adventure mode. Only thing is, I noticed natural caves are hard to come by for me, I have yet to find one.
So what I did was generate a new world and set the cave count to its maximum. However I still cannot find a cave in the wilderness.
It's not like this puts me off from playing, I just find it would be far more interesting if I can find a small cave in safety to call my home. Might anyone be kind enough to fill me in on this?
Hello there, I play Dwarf Fortress and record myself falling off waterfalls on accident.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A Question About Caves
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2012, 09:53:59 pm »

Go into the advanced worldgen, turn "Caves visible" to yes. Not sure what the actual term is, but there is a option to make them visible.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Hypo0008

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Hypo0008
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2012, 10:17:32 pm »

Go into the advanced worldgen, turn "Caves visible" to yes. Not sure what the actual term is, but there is a option to make them visible.

Hey thanks for the reply, so what you're saying is that the caves should be there, I'm just not getting lucky enough to find them?
Ok, so I will do as you recommend and try turning them to visible to see just how many there are. I just thought with the max amount of  caves generated, that they would be easier to find. Thanks again!
Hello there, I play Dwarf Fortress and record myself falling off waterfalls on accident.

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 05:42:53 pm »

In my experiences, they are pretty rare.  What I think Corai was saying is that there is a way to turn them visible on the adventure map.  One other thing to try is to look in legends mode for a cave, mark it down somewhere, and then go to it in adventure mode.

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2012, 05:33:04 am »

This only affects the pre-embark screen. For adventure mode all you need to do is ask villagers of the surroundings.

Hypo0008

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Hypo0008
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2012, 05:18:54 pm »

Thanks for the help everyone, I did the same generation with caves set to visible in a pocket region.... Entire world full of caves! No settlements what so ever. :P

Oh and I finaly managed to find a cave on my large region. I'm currently living in it but it seems my collection of corpses keep walking away lol. I will continue to investigate the situation, perhaps the are reanimating at night and walking around. Ooooh spooky!

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2012, 06:01:04 pm »

No, that's the game not keeping track of the cave when you leave it.  Try storing the bodies in a lead container.

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v