Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Split Surface Fort Challenge!  (Read 1688 times)

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
Split Surface Fort Challenge!
« on: August 03, 2012, 11:12:17 pm »

This challenge is related to that Cult of Bones thread that came up earlier, but with a much better twist.

Phase 1
Your dwarfs must build a sky fortress stemming from a single support and up stair. The support must be accessible by dwarfs. You may dig out underground, but no buildings may be constructed there - tough luck if you breach a cavern full of cave swallow men! The exception is for constructions (like pump stacks) that will eventually end up aboveground. Then, preparations should be made for Stage 2.

Prep for Phase 2
  • Pump stacks are allowed, but all other constructions from the surface must be in separate buildings connected by bridge so that they do not provide support for the main sky fortress. The bridges will open towards the sky fortress so as to seal it off in case of emergency.
  • The pump stack will be needed for well water and farming, since it'll all be on constructed floors.
  • Outbuildings like the pump stack can be protected by wall at the base but MUST only be big enough to do their job - no dwarfs will be allowed to loiter!

Phase 2
Once you hit 80 dwarfs or 100,000☼ of wealth, everyone files one by one into the sky complex. The hapless migrants left behind must deconstruct the up stair and leave the sky fortress to its luxury-filled life in the clouds. A system must be set up for the left-behinds to fire useful goods and artifacts into the sky fortress, or possibly a minecart rail (see above for rules on this). The no-underground-constructions law is repealed, but only for the bottom-dwellers.

The sky fortress is on its own for population. If every dwarf succumbs to a particularly nasty flying beast attack that shoots syphilis-causing dust out of its eyeballs, then it must remain alone forever. On the flip side, it's getting valuable goods constantly so it shouldn't be doing too badly.

Production
Everyone in the sky fortress is one of the lucky early adopters. It should be a sustainable building without the flow of goods from below, so that means indoor mud flats to grow trees on and farm plots. You will also farm herds of top-quality livestock in expansive underground pastures, but they will have to be kept under control so you don't have fifty thousand cows stinking up the place. However, leave professions for growth - if you have an indoor tower-cap farm then there's no reason not to have some decent carpenters on hand. They will also live in the lap of luxury. This means at least 3x3 bedrooms for everyone, and they will live like nobles. Give them a bed, a chest, a cabinet, an armor stand, a weapon rack, and hell, throw in a nice metal or stone statue imported from below. They also get the nice foods, so grow sun berries and wild strawberries instead of plump helmets and sweet pods. Good industries to be placed upstairs are the meat, clothing and leather industries - rock and metal isn't sustainable (easily).

The ones who have been left behind can start their own fortress, but all they can eat is plump helmets and dwarven wine (the sky-dwellers want their slaves to be somewhat efficient, so no cruel alcohol deprivation). Prepared meals are to be loaded onto the Rich and Famous Express. When the nobles begin to arrive, they can all live underground in the same conditions as the unwashed masses. They are also the only ones allowed to trade.

Moving Things
Preferably, the minecart(s) doing the moving are made out of solid gold. Everything goes on it - artifacts, masterpieces, prepared food, rocks that your favored citizens prefer (omg microcline dis is de hapiest day of mai lief!!!!!), metal crafts, cloth, extracts... the list goes on and on.

As for waste dumping, you live in a sky fortress for a reason! Don't settle for dwarven atomsmashers when you can settle for taking potshots at the unfortunates scurrying below. Keep track of who's been maimed or killed by falling xcave spider silk socksx or worse! A peasant is two points, a baby or child is one, a miner's five, a noble is twenty, and everyone else is three.

Architecture
Honestly, this is up to you. But lots of glass windows are recommended - who doesn't like being able to see the giant cave bats trying to menace your fortress bang into a ☼crystal glass window☼ until they spiral to the ground of concussions? Bonus points for having bedrooms with glass ceilings - prevents cave adaptation AND provides a scenic view of the white storks your military has shot down! Think the castle from Howl's Moving Castle, you want lots of little decks and windows looking out on the world. Expand organically as you grow.

Defense
Oh. Right. The single support. That needs defending, doesn't it? Yes it does! The only rule is that it must be accessible from all four directions and nothing can be built within two squares (measured in a 5x5 square, not some sissy elven circle) of it. From that point on, the sky's the limit, really (HAW). Restrict trap use for a superdorfbonus. Have it defended by ballistae manned by the mushroom-sucking bottom-feeders. Include a defense system to pump magma from the great magma sea, then route it through your fortress and pour it on enemies! This is why I mentioned pump stacks - it's always good to have a steady supply of magma. Drop socks on goblins! Mass-pit ornery cats on them! If fall damage is too lethal, take advantage of it!

This should be a fun challenge, because it's a weird mish-mash of aboveground challenges, split-fort challenges and equality/inequality challenges, plus the added Fun of a doomsday support that will crash your entire fort to the ground.

Watered-Down Version
The constant threat of having 80+ dwarves get blown across the continent in a gigantic cloud of billowing dust getting to you? Just build an actual wall (preferably out of soap or gold or something) and continue as normal. It's not as dwarfy but you still get to experience the power of being in a sky fortress.

Additional Notes
GhostDwemer knows that this is impossible because pump stacks are teh cheatinge and I only typed it to waste his time. THE ILLUMATI STRIKE AGAIN!
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 12:06:42 pm by GoombaGeek »
My wooden badge was delicious.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Split Surface Fort Challenge!
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2012, 04:40:02 am »

Glass ceilings are not needed - an outside tile is outside forever.

Sprin

• Bay Watcher
  • I am Sprin Dragon, Master of Madness!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2012, 08:36:16 am »

Iam trying this as soon as I can.
Iam gana add dificulty doing it in an evil biom.
THREE CHEERS FOR !!FUN!!
Quote from: Karnewarrior
HOW DID YOU KNOW I WAS LOOKING UP RULE 34 OF D*CKS?
Sprin is certifiably insane, but there is no denying his brilliance.

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2012, 10:55:00 am »

Glass ceilings are not needed - an outside tile is outside forever.
Huh.

I still like the idea of glass architecture in a dwarven fortress, though. But this challenge isn't really about materials :P

MrAnderson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2012, 11:11:40 am »

why is a  pumpstack cheating? if you build it like this:
Code: [Select]
            ________   #
        ___|  _____ |  # your fortress here
       |pump |         #________
       |stack|    |__________-> to cistern
       |     |         #
       |     |         ###########
       |     |

it provides no support and is separated from the fort. plus, if you don't secure the bottom and all bottom dwellers are slaughtered sleeping, you may have a problem in the sky fort

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2012, 11:25:35 am »

why is a  pumpstack cheating? if you build it like this:
Code: [Select]
            ________   #
        ___|  _____ |  # your fortress here
       |pump |         #________
       |stack|    |__________-> to cistern
       |     |         #
       |     |         ###########
       |     |

it provides no support and is separated from the fort. plus, if you don't secure the bottom and all bottom dwellers are slaughtered sleeping, you may have a problem in the sky fort
It's not, it was a joke because there was a thread where I suggested something and turned out to be wrong. So then this guy said that I must have been wrong on purpose to waste his time.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2012, 11:59:45 am »

Who needs a pumpstack? Mine carts are the wave of the future, delivering glorious water to the denizens of the skies.

Awesome challenge. The skies above should be filled with cart tracks bringing supplies to the glorious ones.

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2012, 10:01:08 am »

I tried this. Unfortunately I was running my creeper mod, which causes your playable creepers to explode on death.

So, here's what happened.

• A floor is designated next to a floor grate.
  • Floor grate != structural support and the rock immediately falls, causing a cave-in.
  • The creeper who the rock lands on has his body caved in vertically. Despite having a broken spine, he sticks around for about five seconds before suffocating, and exploding.
  • As luck would have it, merchants arrive as the various grasses of the surface erupt in a pillar of flame. The expanding ring of death killed everyone on the surface, with the exception of one absolutely badass ranger in a strange mood who survived by standing in one place on our surface craft-shop, with absolute implacability. He made an iron bracelet. On it are images of creepers burning.
  • He is also the only survivor, with the exception of seven creepers trapped in the sky fort who are all going berserk from their friends dying. This is not being helped by three perpetually burning slimes running around giving everyone a hug.

DWARF FORTRESS CREEPER CAVERN

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2012, 10:26:53 am »

Only in Creeper Cavern. ;)

Can't wait to see if anyone manages this.

Pyro627

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2012, 01:17:12 pm »

Couldn't you make a pump stack by extending it up to above the fortress, building a channel over the skyfort, and then just having it dump the liquid inside?
Here's a tip, though... Use Russian characters in your WPA5 passphrase. If your spontaneous AI is anything like my spontaneous AI (not as aggressive as yours, good conversation, but actually worse than me at chess*), it can't handle any character outside of the CODEPAGE 437 list.

*I hope. It could just be lulling me into a false sense of security.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2012, 02:13:39 pm »

Make a waterfall, and run the river throughout the skyfort! May it never run dry!

Also, a magmafall in the prison.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.