Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Minotaur child?  (Read 567 times)

Mohawk_Bravo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Minotaur child?
« on: June 30, 2012, 09:05:18 pm »

So I started a new fortress after the gloriously bad failure of my last fortress (resulting from a dog pile of ghosts, trolls, AA, and giant crocodile riding goblins), and I've got a nice fortress going. So I've got a nice little industry going with charcoal powered furnaces and a nice silver nick nack industry. I've got about 55 dwarves and everything was running smoothly, however, a minotaur child attacked. I've sealed off my draw bridge and he can't see my dwarves through the walls around my trade depot/underground entrance. There really is no threat except to a couple of wild animals and a few useless dwarves who decided to tip toe through the woodlands for no reason, but it's cutting of my charocal industry. What are some possible solutions? Can minotaurs be trained? For that matter, could cage trapping my entrance way and baiting him in catch the child minotaur? I have absolutely no milita right now (as the only metal I've found so far is silver (and I'm wary to set out some hammer/mace dwarves as my last line of defense). Any tips, strategies or any other ideas?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Minotaur child?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 09:29:39 pm »

Cage traps catch minotaurs. Aside from modding (it's possible, if you want to I can help you through it), there is no way to tame a caught minotaur. Yet. To my knowledge.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Auning

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 12:40:30 am »

Yeah, probably cage trapping the entrance would be good, but may be a bit disastrous if you fail and have no military (hopefully you do.)

I definitely recommend following through with the idea of catching it. It can have many uses. Upon catching the minotaur, put it in a pit that has one way out that is mechanically operated by a lever. This will be used for later, and will hopefully open a passageway to let the minotaur outside.

With the minotaur in the pit, let me him age. Once it's an adult, start throwing useless peasants and leeches (children) down at him as training fodder and let him become mighty. When a siege comes around, block up your fort using any means you would like, but pull the lever that opens up the pit to your decided area. The minotaur will be released at the siege and it will hopefully do some work. I won't get into too much detail, but try to design it so the minotaur murders within a specific controlled environment and will wander back to his pit to be locked up again of his own free will (again, assuming it wanders). If not, bait it back in with a peasant.
[DESCRIPTION:A horse-like creature susceptible to severed nerves when muscles are torn in limb, grasp and starting length are all the same.]
[BLOOD:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:EGG_YOLK:LIQUID]
[PUS:LOCAL_CREATURE:BIRD_ROC]

Mohawk_Bravo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 12:41:40 am »

No, that's alright, I'm still trying to adjust to vanilla right now, thank you though.

Either way, I've got another question. I have a 3 wide path surrounded by two rooms with fortification facing outside. If I placed cage traps three wide and in a solid block (maybe 3x3?) would it gaurantee one of them triggering?

Also, I'm considering creating a megabeast/major threat/whatever-the-****-pisses-me-off trap. My (entirely over-elaborate) trap would involve a channel opening with a a remote control bridge to close over it should I need. Would a hatch be a better choice? Or does it matter with building destroyers? Second, I wanted to use a pressure plate to activate a lock that would seal the creature in an underground tunnel. My two options would be either a tunnel full of cage traps or spikes (similar to the goblin grinder I've read about) or to create a room lined with fortifications to allow some marksdwarf training without any risk of them dying (would I need to dig a channel in front of the fortifications to prevent construction destructors?). I'm not sure if any of that is doable, but I haven't really built any elaborate traps yet, and I'm finding that my military ends up dying before they can train up there skills to be useful. I'm thinking a death trap might supliment my strength.

Also, if I could cage the minotaur, would it age to adult at any point? Would it be aggressive to other creatures (I saw an adult get ripped apart by goblins once)? And if so, is there any common set ups for creating a trap to utilize this so I can use the minotaur to dispose of minor sieges?

Sorry for all the questions, but I appreciate all the help. Thanks in advance.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2012, 01:50:03 am »

cage traps block wagon access, so you might need to think about how you set things up.

Fortifications can't be destroyed.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2012, 02:08:58 am »

Be evil and add [PET_EXOTIC] and [TRAINABLE] to its tags.

Stray War Minotaur Child (Tame).

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2012, 07:05:52 am »

About cage traps: A single 3X3 line would garuntee that the minotaur gets caught, usually. In case of bad luck (e.g. a swarm of wild vultures or something getting themselves caught), it's probably best to have at least two rows, maybe more.

If you're going to deconstruct the traps after catching the minotaur, don't worry about wagon access.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.