Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ridiculous Bin Behaviour  (Read 1297 times)

Noobazzah

• Bay Watcher
  • Make lye, not war.
    • View Profile
Ridiculous Bin Behaviour
« on: June 30, 2012, 12:36:11 pm »

So after the update my dwarves started doing the job "store item in bin" in a very retarded way. They basically run to the stockpile and PICK UP THE BIN ITSELF and then slowly drag it to the item. Then they slowly drag the whole lot to the stockpile. They do the same with seeds and such too. My farming has gone to hell, because the farmers can't usually access the seed bags because some half-brain potash maker is running around with the whole barrel. My fort was started in an earlier version, and back then they carried just the item in question. After the new version everything went wrong. Is this some bug related to older-version forts, or an intended feature? If it is, please tell me how to stop this. It's particularly funny when my dwarves are busy looting goblinite and something scary appears. All my precious armor and weapons are left lying around, and I just have to hope that thieves don't show up.

Laurin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ridiculous Bin Behaviour
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 12:43:34 pm »

It can be slow, but OTOH they collect several items on the same run if possible.

For better farming make a small seed stockpile near the farm plots with no barrels. The seeds will be stored in bags and only one bag will be carried around, not a whole barrel with a bunch of bags.

Maulkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2012, 01:06:06 pm »

The problem here is that they very often dont pick up several things at once. Deconstructed a whole lot of floor and walls, and the guy came with the bin, tok one of the blocks, then went and put it back... noone came to collect the rest untill much later, then with no bin.

It dont seem to be working as intended

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2012, 02:44:38 pm »

Wherever possible, I avoid using bins or stockpiles altogether. When it is needed, use intermediate stockpiles (next to the main stockpile) that accept from anywhere, have no containers permitted, and give to the main stockpile, which is set to only accept from links. For seeds things get annoying very quickly, as there's no way to not have bags used in a seed stockpile. Having stills and querns give to the intermediate stockpile helps, but will still cause pointless cancellation spam.

Hopefully there'll be an update eventually that'll allow for the choice between the old and new hauling methods for specific stockpiles. And maybe everyone will get free ponies. And licorice.

zeziba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2012, 04:49:47 pm »

Do this it will solve some of that problem ...

Make two stockpile for the items you want to store.
Make it so one does not use any bins what so ever.
The other can use bin but only takes from the former stockpile and you will never see them run around with the bins.

This is a buffer zone and will solve you alot of problems you can make the bin pile as large as you want, the buffer dosn't have to be that large because they will immeditaly move the buffer to the bin pile if there is room enough.

caddybear

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2012, 06:07:57 pm »

I modded feather trees to grow everywhere and started using their wood exclusively to make bins so my guys don't screw everything up with this behavior. Until it's fixed, of course.
And then did ARMOK say, the east is the holiest of directions, and thou shouldst not stand there lest thou be strucketh down by my holiest of beards. And then did the dorfs did say, we shall build from the west, for more do we fear the beard of ARMOK than the strike of the elephant.

Berlioz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2012, 10:22:55 pm »

Hopefully there'll be an update eventually that'll allow for the choice between the old and new hauling methods for specific stockpiles. And maybe everyone will get free ponies. And licorice.
I like licorice! And ponies!
But seriously, the new hauling system is completely idiotic. I don't know which half-brained elf suggested it, but dwarf fortress is a great game which is ruined by stuff like this. With some luck the source gets opened up someday.

vertinox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Let's Play Dwarf Fortress (tutuorial) Videos
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2012, 10:30:09 pm »

I like licorice! And ponies!
But seriously, the new hauling system is completely idiotic. I don't know which half-brained elf suggested it, but dwarf fortress is a great game which is ruined by stuff like this. With some luck the source gets opened up someday.

It's great for hauling up clothing all over the map, but when it's used to haul mats for other industries it gets annoying when they constantly become unavailable to be used for production. Usually I set my clothing stockpile to use bins and everything else to not use bins in stockpile. That way things are in limbo being carried around when they are needed for production.

Binary Toast

• Bay Watcher
  • The duality of sliced bread.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2012, 04:55:15 am »

This problem, in my opinion, is what makes minecarts not worth the trouble. Until this daffy hauling business gets fixed, I've resolved to play the older pre-haul update version. If the newer hauling AI bothers you that much, switch back to 0.34.07.
For me, your comment on the farms is what really rings true. That's what killed the update for me. Not really against the new hauling AI, I just think that the stockpiles need a toggle between the old and new behaviours. Perhaps it would be as simple as toggling whether or not containers can be taken from a stockpile. Naturally I make this claim with no knowledge of the coding involved, but meh.
"...After all, games aren't going to be in the hotseat forever. Comic books, rap lyrics, jazz, metal, violent saturday morning cartoons, and Elvis' hips, have all had their turn in the spotlight as the force corrupting society's young." Extra Credits

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2012, 08:23:38 am »

It's irritating, but for me the minecarts, wheelbarrows, and keeping up with everyone else makes up for it. Especially the minecarts. I like minecarts.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2012, 09:01:24 am »

I think the opposite in fact. Minecarts are what mitigate this issue to the point of functionality. By using Minecarts to move goods, taking advantage of the ability for stops to automatically dump. Smaller binless stockpiles are useful, but you end up moving one block at a time. Using minecarts to move five blocks at a time, moves faster than 3 wheelbarrows, and particularly when they end up getting binned. Put one stock pile at the other end, also binless, and have it give to a second close at hand stockpile that uses bins. They'll only move them a short distance, and then back.

Without minecarts, it'd be twice as hard to move huge stocks of stone.

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2012, 04:05:36 pm »

Dorfs also seem to be unable to stay off the mine tracks even when you set them to restricted traffic, so there's the added advantage of occasional injuries thus preventing skill rust in doctors.
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2012, 05:04:16 pm »

I always separate my tracks, so I don't get that, plus I use guided carts rather than rollers. Yes, it takes dorfs out of rotation, but it completely prevents injuries.