Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Full armor sets  (Read 6101 times)

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
Re: Full armor sets
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2012, 07:34:28 pm »

Sorry, didn't see the replies until now, will attach mine when i get back home tonight.

But I don't know if you'd like it because i don't use the decked out set of armor, preferring for a more realistic set where you're not wearing more than 1 of a item.

However, making a macro is actually dead easy and it's probably better that everyone does it themselves to get a customised one that suits their playstyle.
For me, this is how i did it.

0. Make sure you're on the main menu of the UI, pause the game (optional)
1. Ctrl - R (start recording)
2. m (military) n (uniform) N (New uniform) etc etc....
3. Esc (Done) make sure you finish the macro where you started it so if u want to repeat u can just play it again.
4. Ctrl - R (stop recording)
5. Ctrl - S (save)

So now you have a macro file, you can load it using Ctrl - L, play it using Ctrl - P and it's just a text file in your DF folder somewhere.

So i've got one that sets up metal uniform. On an embark, i Ctrl - L to load it. Then Ctrl - P to play it 3 times so i get 3 identical uniforms.
Then i go in and add a weapon. Takes me about 1-2 mins to do all that.

Actually once you do this and get familiar with it, it applies to bedrooms too. But you guys should give it a go, it's dead easy.
start with b a, build armorstand and place the cursor in the right place, then just build your whole bedroom until finished and go back to b a, build armorstand in the next bedroom. so when i want to build a bedroom, i just load up my bedroom macro and hit Ctrl-P 5-20 times depending on how many migrants just arrived.

What makes it *really* awesome is that my workflow orders maintain 20 of each furniture, so i don't need to keep asking for each furniture type 30 at a time and then realise i missed one and have to wait for that furniture to be built before doing the bedrooms then forget about it because of another 100 things that needs to be done in the fort.
I only give my dwarves 2 mail shirts since it makes sense to put one under the breastplate and one over the breastplate in my head.  And the multiple cloaks would actually provide really good protection against slashy weapons as they would pull them around while they cut through.
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

mordrax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2012, 07:44:51 pm »

I only give my dwarves 2 mail shirts since it makes sense to put one under the breastplate and one over the breastplate in my head.  And the multiple cloaks would actually provide really good protection against slashy weapons as they would pull them around while they cut through.

hehe, that's probably a dwarfy thing to do :D

but come on, a loose metal mail shirt designed to fit to the body over leather, put that over a rigid, bulky piece of metal plate... the clangy noise itself would deften your soldier to the point of deafness. cloaks don't even make sense on a melee based soldier as it would hinder their movement more than help... 3 cloaks!?!? and ur just asking for trouble.

but yeah, i don't mean to criticise your playstyle, just the less than realistic representation of armor wear.

i was actually going to go one step further and have them wear a leather tunic and trousers underneath their mail and greaves and if there is no more bugs on clothing, i'd change my setting back to over clothing so that way, they wear clothing, then leather between cloth and metal to cushion and prevent cuts from ur own armor. then on top of that, armor.

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2012, 12:53:52 am »

Considering I consider a set to be 2 mail shirts, a breastplate, a hood, a helm, gauntlets, mittens, high boots, socks, 2-3 cloaks trousers and greaves (and nothing less) it is a pain to designate uniforms.
I'll echo the "I find more than 1 of each item unrealistic" and "I'd like to see padded/quilted armor underneath the metal armor" sentiments, and add one of my own: I go with chain leggings + high boots rather than greaves + boots. I just find it silly to run around with boots AND greaves protecting my shins, but leaving my thighs (apparently) completely bare. I know, the wiki says that technically, greaves are better, but still.
Ideally, high boots should interfere with greaves, while low boots do not, and chain leggings go with everything. That would give players the option of going [leggings + high boots], or [leggings + low boots + greaves], giving better protection but at the cost of an additional bar of metal.
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

mordrax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2012, 11:05:23 pm »

As for uniforms, i created a macro that will make a full steel set of uniform. On embark, i run this macro 3 times to create 3 sets of uniforms and then add axe, hammer and spear to each of them manually and name them.
Then with each squad i create, i assign one uniform to the squad so they all benefit from demonstrations and train together.

Can you attach that macro by any chance?

here's what i do if you haven't got your own by now
just copy this into text file, name it BasicArmor.mak and place it in your data\init\macros folder.
Then you can load it in-game via Ctrl-L and play it Ctrl-P
Should give you a rough idea how to go about it.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Halo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2012, 01:54:07 am »

I consider a set to be 2 mail shirts, a breastplate, a hood, a helm, gauntlets, mittens, high boots, socks, 2-3 cloaks trousers and greaves (and nothing less)
I've had a few good soldiers become less good due to hand/foot loss due to a bug when a pair of socks or mittens prevents them from putting on one of the boots/gauntlets. Since that time I don't give them socks.

Toady fixed the boot/sock issue a few releases ago.  Not sure about the gauntlets, I haven't heard that one mentioned so much.

Is there some trick to make this work?
I've got a set mail shirt/breastplate/greaves/guantlets/high boots and the dwarves won't put on their boots or gauntlets. I've got the latest version but haven't played for awhile.

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2012, 02:10:51 am »

Is there some trick to make this work?
I've got a set mail shirt/breastplate/greaves/guantlets/high boots and the dwarves won't put on their boots or gauntlets. I've got the latest version but haven't played for awhile.
I had a similar problem where they wouldn't put on boots or gauntlets. In the equip screen of the military I turned of wearing over clothes, so all they were wearing was the designated armour
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together

Halo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2012, 02:19:36 am »

Yeah, I just tried that. It was 75% successful. The idiot still won't put on one boot. Wtf, I thought this stupid armor crap got fixed ages ago.

Friendstrange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2012, 02:44:27 am »

Did you set TWO boots in the uniform? Or just the one?
Note that you must asign "Boot" and "Boot" for two boots to be in the uniform. Same with gaunlets.

Halo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2012, 03:20:28 am »

Thanks. I swear it didn't used to be like that.

It seems to work ok without any clothes on under the armor. I'll try not to think about how it feels wearing full plate with nothing underneath it lol.
Pages: 1 [2]