Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Modding Dwarfs (Very quick question)  (Read 720 times)

thelordberg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Modding Dwarfs (Very quick question)
« on: May 20, 2012, 09:20:29 pm »

I desire my Dorfs to be rather inhumane (more than they already are) little bastards totally willing to butcher and consume all their enemies, and turn goblins into (goblin bone bolts).

What is the exact text file (raw-objects-???) to access, and what is the exact line I want to change to make this blood thirsty switch happen?
I'm unspeakably dissspointed. A dwarven fortress has discovered a sentient creature made out of mushrooms, and no one has proposed brewing him?

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Modding Dwarfs (Very quick question)
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 12:04:00 am »

You must generate a new world for this to take effect.

Alter your dwarf fortress folder/raw/objects/entity_default.txt. The specific lines are the ones that say [ETHIC:EAT_SAPIENT_KILL:UNTHINKABLE] and [ETHIC:EAT_SAPIENT_OTHER:UNTHINKABLE] between the lines that say [ENTITY:MOUNTAIN] and [ENTITY:FOREST] (these also happen to be the first instance of those lines). Change the part that says UNTHINKABLE to ACCEPTABLE for both.

In the future, such questions should probably be directed to the modding forum, as you're asking how to mod the game.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

thelordberg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 12:33:31 am »

Awesome, thanks.

And I didn't want to post this in modding, since it seemed SO BASIC. But thanks for the advice anyway.
I'm unspeakably dissspointed. A dwarven fortress has discovered a sentient creature made out of mushrooms, and no one has proposed brewing him?

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 12:55:55 am »

Oh, and I would recommend generating a world completely normally first, then changing the entity raws in the SAVE folder.  Otherwise your may have problems generating a world with Dwarves in it since Humans will declare war on you, and Goblins may be considered friendly for war purposes (but may still raid you after embark).

So generate the world as standard "nice guys", then cheat the system after you've generated the world already.
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 01:07:34 am »

Oh, and I would recommend generating a world completely normally first, then changing the entity raws in the SAVE folder.  Otherwise your may have problems generating a world with Dwarves in it since Humans will declare war on you, and Goblins may be considered friendly for war purposes (but may still raid you after embark).

So generate the world as standard "nice guys", then cheat the system after you've generated the world already.
I'm 99% sure this wouldn't work, as ethics are assigned to civilizations when the civilization is generated, so altering what ethics would be assigned after the generation process is complete would be ineffective.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

caddybear

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2012, 05:10:35 am »

You have to generate a new world for the entity changes to work. Wars with humans might happen, but rarely kills all the dorf civs. And as long as you don't have babysnatcher they will trade with you as usual if you aren't at war with that particular human civ.
And then did ARMOK say, the east is the holiest of directions, and thou shouldst not stand there lest thou be strucketh down by my holiest of beards. And then did the dorfs did say, we shall build from the west, for more do we fear the beard of ARMOK than the strike of the elephant.