Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Let's Play: Cannon Fodder- HOME 286:13 AWAY Updated 05/18/12  (Read 5139 times)

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile

This game is not endorsed in any way by the Royal British Legion.

This, Gentlemen, I am obligated to share with you: Cannon Fodder, put simply, is an extremely dwarfy game. Made by Virgin Interactive Entertainment in 1994, you can get it on GOG, and possibly other sources (not that I would know anything about that!) I run it through DOSBox.

Why is it so dwarfy, you ask? I'll get to that in a minute. First let me tell you why it's fun. CF is basically an isometric shooter- its mechanics are extremely simple. You control a squad of soldiers who travel as a group- you only directly control the leader, and everybody else follows in a line. Clicking the left mouse button moves your group, clicking (and holding) the right mouse button tells everybody to fire in a given direction. Left clicking while firing will throw a grenade or shoot a bazooka, if you have any. You can also split your group into up to three squads- you can only control one, but the others will fire automatically and can handle a small trickle of enemies just fine. There are crates full of grenades, and barrels of bazookas to find (or shoot and explode) on the maps, and usually buildings with must be destroyed with explosives and spew enemies, like in Gauntlet. Bullets do not cause friendly fire, but explosives do. There are also vehicles, and a few other tricks the enemy will pull on you. Everyone in the game, whether friend or foe, dies in one hit (though later in the game there is armor which you let you survive one more hit).

The basics of the game are simple and addicting. But the level designs quickly become massive, sprawling, complex, and devious. We'll see more of that later.

Then there's the game's sense of humor. Everything is in irreverent, mermaid-farming good fun. There's pretty much no dialogue in the game, and in fact few "jokes", but somehow the atmosphere of the game carefully builds towards something pretty funny, in a dark sort of way. I have a hard time describing this, but consider this quote from the tips section of the manual:
When you have shot a man and he’s lying there, dead, shoot him some more to make him jump around like a bunny.

This is "Boot Hill", the screen from which you save and load, and visit between every mission. This is the part of the game, more than anything else, that smacks of Dwarf Fortress. Each soldier in your group is not a faceless pawn. Well, they're not faceless at least. As you can see in the above screen, each one has a name, rank and kill count. After each mission, if they survive they will persist to become part of your squad in the next mission, and they will gain a rank. You also get 15 new recruits after each mission, who rank up every three missions they go without being in combat. Once your solider is dead, he is dead permanently. There's also the HOME/AWAY counter- bet you can guess what that's for. This screen has another important function. You will see it later.

And we're ready to go! Let's assume I've already beat the first mission. Here's mission two: It has two phases (two levels you have to pass before you can save your game). It tells us that in this phase, our only objective is to "KILL ALL ENEMY". There are three soldiers in our squad, including Jools and Jops from the first mission, and 27 people back at Boot Hill (15 for the mission we beat, 15 for this mission, minus the three we're taking with us).

So, what should we do now? I can cover the game in screenshots, videos (does anyone know a good free video editor?) and maybe livestream if you guys are up for it. I think videos would be nice because the game can be very fast paced and it can be hard to take screenshots that express all the suddenness in this game. A live stream of course has time restrictions, and I know some people would rather just read the thread than get on youtube to watch a video of the game being played.

Also: Bets on how long Jools and Jops will live?

« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 03:01:27 pm by Sensei »
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

two missions tops.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I remeber playing this ages ago! great game!

Sadly, I think poor Jools won't survive the end of phase 2, and Jops, deeply saddened by this loss, will sacrifice himself in mission 3 for the greater good.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Welcome back, gents! We're starting off on mission two, of the game's twenty-four missions.

Our two Soldiers, corporals Jools and Jops, take the lead of a new soldier, Private Stoo.

Spoiler: Mission 2 (click to show/hide)

Jools is building up quite the kill count! We get a new recruit, private RJ.
Spoiler: Mission 3 (click to show/hide)

More recruits join the line for war. As you can see, Jools has 94 kills and... well, Jops doesn't. Okay, I can excuse the new guys, but what the hell, Jops? Really, Jools could have just been fighting the war himself so far. The first 15 recruits to get in line have also ranked up to corporal.

Spoiler: Mission 4 (click to show/hide)

We're 1/6 of the way through the war. More and more recruits line up on Boot Hill. In addition, there is now the gravestone of Stoo, our most honorable serviceman. Jools continues to lead the army, as GOD EMPEROR OF MAN-KIND.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!

njero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play: Cannon Fodder- HOME 180:1 AWAY Updated 05/15/12
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 10:53:29 pm »

This is quite simply one of the best games I ever found on a shareware disk.

Jools' time will come.
these aren't buzzards, they're cliff racers!

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2012, 11:02:11 pm »

Y'all are welcome to 'call' characters if you'd like. I should warn you though, my playings from before I started the Let's play haven't really gotten past Mission 5...

Liber celi

• Bay Watcher
  • council does your hair
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2012, 09:26:06 am »

Ubik is, as you may know, actually the title of a quite awesome novel by P. K.Dick -and a mysterious force inside the story.
Not as mysterious or powerful as Jool, of course.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2012, 10:34:17 am »

PTF.

Loved this game as a teenager. Found it very hard though as I owned it on a Genesis and the gamepad wasnt quite as nimble as a mouse.
This is a blank sig.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2012, 02:46:01 pm »

Heh, the first version I downloaded was a genesis emulator. I had toyed with Cannon Fodder 2 just briefly enough to know how the game worked before hearing that the first game was much better, and as soon as I saw the SEGA logo I was like NOPE NOPE NOPE. I can't imagine playing this with a gamepad cursor. I bet a dual-analog version of this game would work very nice though, aside from the squad selection controls. Sure would be neat if they made a Cannon Fodder game for Xbox Live Arcade or something...

Get ready for Mission 5. This is where things get more difficult- perhaps even the God Emperor will be tested.

Spoiler: Mission 5 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Aftermath (click to show/hide)
Boot Hill sure does look different. But it was worth it beating up the Vietnamese and the Finns, right? Well, wait 'till you see who we're fighting next...

Any bets on Hector's survival? Thoughts, comments?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 03:01:39 pm by Sensei »

mellonbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play: Cannon Fodder- HOME 286:13 AWAY Updated 05/18/12
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2012, 09:06:44 pm »

njero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2012, 10:27:01 am »

Yeah, that'd be the missions where it always started going to hell...

I bet you can't wait until bunkers and turrets.  :D
these aren't buzzards, they're cliff racers!

DarkerDark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2012, 09:25:50 am »

I loved this game as a kid.