Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Dwarf's dying of old age - too great impact on morale?  (Read 8510 times)

FalseDead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf's dying of old age - too great impact on morale?
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2012, 01:30:53 pm »

she witnessed one of her daughters recieve a knighthood from the queen

Wait, what?

You didn't know?

Do you live under a rock? :o

Sooooooo..... ::)

I liked the Idea of a sliding scale of Death sadness, however I think if a dwarf is in the military for a time relatives should get a positive modifier in addition to the negative.

Some thing like, "proud that husband/Son/Daughter/Wife served their nation bravely"  , with an additionally modifier if they were legendary "Proud of _______'s Skilled service", and if he had a large amount of kills, "proud of _______ 's Distinguished Service"

Made more hilarious if you know exactly how they died....
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 01:33:05 pm by FalseDead »
"Ah the Internet; where the men are men, the women are also men, and the little girls are the F.B.I."

greenskye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2012, 02:11:41 pm »

Hopefully in the personality rewrite, happiness gets a lot more complex.

Death should be very complex. There are a myriad different ways real life people handle loss. With death so prevalent in DF, it would be good if it also modeled the toll it took on the dwarves.

Fortresses should have a sort of global happiness value. Lots of deaths should lower fortress morale overall. Even if a dwarf didn't know any of these dwarves, the loss of your entire military should come as a shock to the general population. Certain events could raise morale (defeat of siege, murder of elves, etc).

An individual dwarf should only tantrum if he is significantly more depressed than the average. I'd say a lot of people are upset about the recession, but the idea that I'm not the only one helps me feel a sense of community. Misery loves company after all. This of course could change based on the dwarf's personality, whether or not he's a noble, etc.

A dwarf dying should affect other dwarves in different ways. The way he dies should also affect how others feel. In all cases it should take into account who the dwarf was. A legendary axedwarf dying in battle should be less upsetting than Urist McMilker dying to a goblin.

Assuming that in the future dwarves will be capable of more relationship types (squad mate, coworker, childhood friend, etc) the relationship should shape their reaction. Time should also be a consideration. If you are friends, but you haven't seen that dwarf in 5 years, it probably won't matter as much.

Basically I'm looking for Dwarf Fortress: Soap Opera Edition  :P

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2012, 02:48:13 pm »

Probably religious beliefs have an effect on whether you are willing and/or eager to go on to the *cough* next step.  Also, someone who is in a lot of pain might want it to end, and a lonely person might not care one way or the other.  I will say, though, that my father-in-law at the age of 92 changed his mind about not having extraordinary measures taken to keep him alive.  20 years earlier he had been very cavalier about the idea of not hanging on, but his statement to the physicians at the later age was "whatever it takes".

DF has a kind of charming naivete in that grief can be relatively quickly overcome by eating in a legendary dining room and looking at a waterfall.  I guess they have short memory spans, except when it comes to missing trousers.   :P
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

greenskye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2012, 03:00:06 pm »

This is a good point. Certain forms of sadness or happiness are more like a slow simmer. Others are quick spikes that fade swiftly. Perhaps happiness/sadness could have multiple sets of numbers?

A death might cause a quick spike in "shallow emotions". This sadness fades in a few days/weeks and can be affected by things like good meals, nice clothes, etc. But a death also raises a "deep emotions" level of sadness. Not by a whole lot, but this value is unaffected by food or tables and takes years to return to normal.

These two numbers interplay to determine if a dwarf will break. The shallow sadness value can spike very high before a dwarf will go berserk. Losing 1 friend probably isn't enough to do it. Losing his whole family? Instant madness. This could also result in anger more often than melancholy.

However, losing several friends over the course of a few months might drive a dwarf deeper into depression as his "deep emotion" sadness level continues to rise. Losing hope, he decided to commit suicide. Or perhaps he holds a deep seated hatred and plans to take the rest of the world with him. Sort of a cold anger type of thing.

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2012, 03:20:46 pm »

Oh, so like sanity would work like HP in Halo! The shallow emotions being the regenerating shields, and the deep emotions being the non-regenerating health.
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

greenskye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2012, 03:23:17 pm »

Found someone else who had a similar idea. Check out this thread for an idea of moving to a "moods" based system. Different factors such as frustration, grief, and stress would contribute to the overall mental health of a dwarf. Pretty interesting read if you have the time.

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2012, 05:25:24 pm »

Of course, sometimes a naive system is great for hilarity.
Urist has been happy lately. S/he was forced to eat a friend to survive. S/he enjoyed a truly decadent meal.

superkret

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2012, 07:21:38 am »

Of course, sometimes a naive system is great for hilarity.
Urist has been happy lately. S/he was forced to eat a friend to survive. S/he enjoyed a truly decadent meal.

In my last fortress I had a flooding accident that killed half the population. The other half was "pacified by a waterfall lately".
Until they found the bodies in their well.

Myshaak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2012, 01:39:33 pm »

I tried to finish once more with my fort, where 4 very popular dorf died of old age at the same time. The whole fort went into mayhem and eventually the game crashed, at which point "MYSHAAK CANCELS PLAY; THROWING TANTRUM!" I fired it up again today and I did the best I could, locked everyone I could in their bedrooms to prevent them from punching legendary axelords in their faces or kicking puppies (we wouldn't want to waste this valuable resource of leather, bones and meat, would we?)... not much helped. From a very happy population of cca 100 dorfs I was left with 11. 11! That's something even a couple of FB's couldn't do...
Pages: 1 2 [3]