Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: What's the lightest possible thing to make out of stone?  (Read 5062 times)

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: What's the lightest possible thing to make out of stone?
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2012, 06:01:47 am »

Just dispose of the stone with constructions or something, your best bet to cram the most into the wagons is food or clothes, thehy're light/valuable enough it's impossible to overload the wagon.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2012, 10:27:25 am »

Hm. I must be doing something different, because I ran out of stone, despite exploratory mining. And my battery of training catapults shoots to the trench, to recover any stones. I don't want to dig more than necessary in interesting areas because it wakes my dwarves. I'm designating remote and uninteresting areas for digging ONLY to get some stone for mechanics and masons. Paving skybridges and other areas with mechanised spikes takes large amounts of stones (one tile takes three stones and I;m not counting the lever tile) for example. As for wagons - average caravan brings me about 120000 of free inventory space, which means a lot of stones in one form or another. If I had them to spare. Stones turned into gems are probably most effective, though I don't care about gems and gems setters, I care about mechanics. Cut gems are much cheaper than stone mechanisms of good quality.

ObeseHelmet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2012, 09:15:16 pm »

I don't want to dig more than necessary in interesting areas because it wakes my dwarves.

Who cares about waking the dwarves? Let them have their terrible sleep.

Also, thanks for all the ideas. I hope the dwarven caravan likes their infinite supply of quartzite cabochons! :P

I am Leo

• Bay Watcher
  • Ia ia Oggez Rashaz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2012, 07:43:54 am »

Cut it all into gems and encrust with it. Stone gone, objects prettified.

Friendstrange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2012, 10:15:30 am »

Since Im always embarking with flux stone(limestone, marble, etc) in the first layers I set a garbage dump next to my furnance and metalworks.
But even so the more efficient ways of getting rid of the stone imo are:
1. make a 3-thick wall around your fort, at least 3 high and on top place fortifications on the side blocks, leaving the central block free for marksdwarves to pass through and patrol. And make an aerial marksdwarf barracks and dorms linked to the walkway.
2. Cabochons.
3. Crafts. Sell the useless "superior quality" "exceptional" and "well crafted" to traders. Hell, give them away for free. Hoard the masterworks. Always hoard the masterworks.
4. Internal remodeling. Military training rooms above ground near your entrance is excellent, but I believe that no dwarf should sleep on the same level trees grow. Soily maps make this dificult as the dwarf would be sleeping surrounded by soil. So I just clear a space under the above-ground barracks, refubrish everything with stone and make my military sleep there.
5. Statues. Fill your fort with masterwork statues, atomsmash the rest.
6. You can never have enough doors, chairs, tables, thrones, cabinets, chests or pots (if only my dwarves would just use the damn pots in the stockpiles).

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2012, 11:24:43 am »

Heh, I thought I was the only one that did that. Anything that's not masterwork gets sold off or atom-smashed, and if I have the wood, every dwarf gets a masterwork bed. The good thoughts from admiring valuable items are totally worth it.
Pages: 1 [2]