Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: area lag question  (Read 922 times)

zach123b

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
area lag question
« on: April 25, 2012, 10:48:26 am »

does running a large embark 5x5+ with say a depth of 40 cost more in fps than a 3x3 with 150ish depth in fps?

would it make much difference in the 5x5+ embark to have more depth like 100-150? assuming i atom smash like a good dwarf
does the height matter much? like how many z levels are above the highest dirt layer

wondering for i want to try my hands at a mega construction :P
"IT'S WORLDGEN TIME!"
"No, Meph, No!"

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: area lag question
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 11:17:27 am »

Last I heard, all factors effect it, except how high the sky is. So I guess it boils down to how many individual tiles are on each embark your considering, and how large a pathing area exists, for you, and surface/cavern creatures.

I do 2x2's, myself, unless there's something I want nearby. Then I'll do 2x3.

That being said, 5x5x40 should be smaller than 3x3x150, so it'd prolly run faster, I would think.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 11:20:20 am by rtg593 »
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

caddybear

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 01:24:58 pm »

As an extension of the first question, how can I make it so I have about 40 layers down from the surface with all the fun/magma sea/caverns and all that? I find that I'll probably need a bigger embark than this, but I don't want it to become unplayable with 200 dorfs and 100 zlevels depth.
And then did ARMOK say, the east is the holiest of directions, and thou shouldst not stand there lest thou be strucketh down by my holiest of beards. And then did the dorfs did say, we shall build from the west, for more do we fear the beard of ARMOK than the strike of the elephant.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 02:59:58 pm »

Go to the "Z Levels Above X" and reduce all of the numbers except for "Above Ground". That should compress all of your stuff vertically.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

caddybear

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2012, 03:40:34 pm »

Thanks!
And then did ARMOK say, the east is the holiest of directions, and thou shouldst not stand there lest thou be strucketh down by my holiest of beards. And then did the dorfs did say, we shall build from the west, for more do we fear the beard of ARMOK than the strike of the elephant.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2012, 03:42:35 pm »

I find raising the z lvls above ground tends to drastically reduce the amount of layers between cavern levels and the SMR. 100z lvls above ground, and it's 33z lvls to SMR