Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Pathological Avoidance of the Dining Room  (Read 3732 times)

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pathological Avoidance of the Dining Room
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2012, 12:54:11 am »

Yes, it's actually a dining hall, and no, it isn't anything else. I wonder if maybe they are thinking in three dimensions, and reasoning that a destination ten z-levels down is closer than one that's fifteen steps away, even when it takes more steps to get there.

GalenEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mac-Man Games
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2012, 02:05:01 am »

back to the Dwarven ER:

*munch munch munch*
"Oh hey... this legendary egg roast is magnificent! Hey, looks like Urist McStarvin is tryin to shake hands!"

*munch munch munch*
"MMM... tasty tasty plump helmets... oh so stuffed >.< Im gonna throw this food in the refuse pile"

*nearby on a table Urist McStarvin moans in his starvin pains*
"P-p-p-please... foood... please just a nibble..."

*munch munch munch*
*through a mouthful of food* "No this is my plump helmet roast! Get yer own!"

***Urist McStarvin has starved to death!***

"Oh look, now he's gone and died... I don't feel like eating anymore..." *Throws his stack of 10xPlump Helmet Egg Roasts into the refuse pile*
Fun is Fun......Done is Done... or is that Done is !!FUN!!?
Quote from: Mr Frog
Digging's a lot like surgery, see -- you grab the sharp thing and then drive the sharp end of the sharp thing in as hard as you can and then stuff goes flying and then stuff falls out and then there's a big hole and you're done. I kinda wish there was more screaming, but rocks don't hurt so I guess it can't be helped.

Fen

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretly A Kobold Werebull
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2012, 04:20:46 am »

Tales of The Dwarven Foodcourt ER

*munch munch*

"So ah, Loram, what's this guy got? looks a little funky."

"This 'ere is Urist, he was fighting that great big eyelass jackal wot wus droolin' all over our microcline bedrooms downstairs. Got some of 'is blood in an eyeball, and now he's rotterin away from tha inside oot."

*munch munch*

"Oh. Sounds horrible!"

"kill me..."

*munch munch*

"Don't worry Urist, I'm sure you'll be fine."
This space for rent

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2012, 04:25:34 am »

Check for any tables with chairs that aren't marked as belonging to another dwarf. I had this happen repeatedly in my fort with a hospital... I put up a bunch of tables for operations, then I figured "If I put a chair here, the doc will be able to sit and he'll work better!" Wrong; it was a rare day all the tables weren't occupied by dwarves chowing down mere feet from their dying breatheren.

I completely forgot about that.

Genius.

quarague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2012, 08:18:08 am »

I wonder if maybe they are thinking in three dimensions, and reasoning that a destination ten z-levels down is closer than one that's fifteen steps away, even when it takes more steps to get there.

Dwarfs do indeed think in three dimensions.
More importantly, ... , making the project pointlessly difficult and requiring greatly overcomplicated means to set up  ...
from Sphalerite

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2012, 11:16:09 am »

I'll probably end up with an entire fortress of dwarves with the "doesn't care about anything" tag, and the elves will probably come to it to try sneak some fresh dwarf liver knowing them.
It seems like a pathing error to me. My dwarves wouldn't eat in their adamantine statue filled dining room until I made a hallway directly to the food stockpile from the dining room. I guess this is Toady's way of saying that dwarves are incredibly lazy.
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.
Pages: 1 [2]