Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: I have an artifact lignite bed.  (Read 6720 times)

NonconsensualSurgery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I have an artifact lignite bed.
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2012, 09:59:50 pm »

Can they destroy grates?  Because I'm thinking you could trap one in a 1x1 cell with a single steel grate and use it as an eternal fireplace to decorate somebody's room with.

If you can get it into a 1x1 cell then the grate will hold it because building destroyers need to stand one tile away to start destroying anything. Fortifications are similar but cannot be destroyed.

The beast must also always be near an edge to breathe fire. If it's not jammed right up against the fortification then nothing happens. If you can get it into a 1x1 space then that's good because it will always be in the same spot and always be able to shoot.

If they're contained by a dry moat instead of fortifications then you get even more glorious pyrotechnics because they start using both fireballs and fire breath, but with no fortification they're also very vulnerable to goblin archers.

Oh, umm, be sure you have a simple and reliable system to turn the whole affair on and off and that you can easily and clearly see whether or not the bridge that blocks site is in the on or off position.
Never had a bat massacre people with an axe before.
EDIT2: Oh god, the bat has got a title now.

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2012, 10:52:13 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEgALu8kswY

^--  (That's going to be stuck in my head all night now, thanks.)

I say set it on fire and assign it to a vampire.
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.
7+7

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2012, 10:55:23 pm »

I'm psyched by that temple of the flaming bed idea. And since its artifact, will it never burn out?
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

ImBocaire

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALL_WORK] [NO_PLAY] [IS_DULL_BOY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2012, 11:14:57 pm »

Indeed. You might want to install an airlock system for the temple, though, so the smoke doesn't irritate other dwarves.
[STATE_ADJ:GAS:boiling fish woman]

Hotaru

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange foreigner fond of industry
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2012, 04:38:15 am »

So, once a potash maker goes to sleep on that !!bed!!, will they a) realize it's on fire and now they are too, jump up and run around trying to set everything on fire, or b) sleep like a baby and mercifully vaporize?
It is said knowledge is like a foul-smelling herb. It must be cooked well and thoroughly with experience to make it palatable. A young scholar's knowledge is therefore not only worthless but disgusting. -- In Dwarf Fortress you have another paradigm. Gather as much of that smelly herb as you can and toss it at your enemy, fracturing his skull through the +capybara man leather cap+.

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2012, 08:11:49 am »

Lock the door behind them and find out.
Lately, I'm proud of MAGMA LANDMINES:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91789.0
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104354.0

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2012, 08:26:35 am »

I like the idea of having random migrants drawn to sleeping in it while its on fire.  Except, surround the bed with windows and build a dining hall around it so dwarves can watch.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Hotaru

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange foreigner fond of industry
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2012, 09:06:23 am »

I like the idea of having random migrants drawn to sleeping in it while its on fire.  Except, surround the bed with windows and build a dining hall around it so dwarves can watch.

That's cool. I wonder if it would make them all completely psychologically hardened soon, watching their comrades burn in their sleep. Those fiery black stone mattresses behind the windows seducing them, haunting their dreams, as they know one day they too will succumb to the desire to admire and sleep in a legendary artifact bed.
It is said knowledge is like a foul-smelling herb. It must be cooked well and thoroughly with experience to make it palatable. A young scholar's knowledge is therefore not only worthless but disgusting. -- In Dwarf Fortress you have another paradigm. Gather as much of that smelly herb as you can and toss it at your enemy, fracturing his skull through the +capybara man leather cap+.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2012, 10:50:18 am »

Even before I read this thread, I already knew that someone (or really, most of everyone) would suggest you set it on fire. Therefore, I suggest this:

1. dig a room at the bottom of your fortress. All the way at the bottom.
2. Place the bed in the newly-dug room.
3. Place a noble in this room.
4. Place a miner in this room.
5. Seal this room off with walls.
6. Dig to spoilertown.
7. Get the bed back, then set it on fire as an eternally burning trophy of your accomplishments.

I find releasing the entire horde to kill a single dwarf far more dwarfy and amusing than setting a bed on fire.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand
Pages: 1 [2]