Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: My Water is Ruined  (Read 4745 times)

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My Water is Ruined
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2012, 05:55:34 pm »

And based on some checks I made of my 34.05 fort with seasonal saves, the stagnation spreads about a tile or two per month. Maybe slightly more.  It doesn't matter if its a brook or a river, either.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2012, 06:07:27 pm »

All this also applies to salt, as well. Had an embark with a river source next to an ocean. There was a stagnant pool mixed into the source, a good dozen tiles out were stagnant. In my attempt to kill off all the dwarves, I breached the ocean and the river halfway back from in my fort. The ocean and river flooded in, met, and salt flooded back up into the river, so within 5 tiles you had stagnant, water, then salt water.

If I'd hung around it probably would have spread, and turned into a stagnant salt water river, lol.
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

Heavily Armed Effigy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2012, 06:35:12 pm »

Hi guys,

Noob question here. I have run into this bug and my entire river is now stagnant. I have heard folks mention that you can use DFhack to change water from stagnant to normal. Which command do you use and how do you go about doing this? Thanks in advance!

I would also like to know the answer to this question. Trying to make a clean reservoir is getting to be too much trouble - I even pumped the water into my reservoir and it was clean, then had the pumping dwarf step away and stagnant water flooded everywhere and infected my reservoir.  ::)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2012, 06:41:31 pm »

Go vote in the most serious bug thread, the stagnant water issue is seriously under-represented compared to what seem like far less important issues.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2012, 08:11:46 pm »

My newest fortress is the first time I've seen the problem with creeping stagnant water.  I've had waterfalls and adjacent murky pools in 34.05, and never had any problem with my reservoir and well.  I've ported three of those to 34.06 and, again, no problems.  In my first fortress built in a 34.06-generated world, I can't even purify the infectious stagnant brook water with a pump.  I made my new reservoir more than two tiles from the brook and lined the "pipe" with rock, but it's still stagnant.  It's a shame, too, because the embark is such a nice location and we spent a long time building the bee farm.   :'(

My point, among all the moaning, is that maybe a lot of other people just haven't run into the problem yet.  It's certainly not one you would miss seeing if you had it.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

zehive

• Bay Watcher
  • [DRAGONFIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2012, 09:34:59 pm »

i had my river go stagnant because i created an artificial lake, which required going through some murky pools. No losses, dorfs go and get water from it for wounded dorfs just fine and I HAVE A USE FOR THE SOAP INDUSTRY!!

StabMasterArson

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2012, 06:32:06 am »

Hi guys,

Noob question here. I have run into this bug and my entire river is now stagnant. I have heard folks mention that you can use DFhack to change water from stagnant to normal. Which command do you use and how do you go about doing this? Thanks in advance!

I would also like to know the answer to this question. Trying to make a clean reservoir is getting to be too much trouble - I even pumped the water into my reservoir and it was clean, then had the pumping dwarf step away and stagnant water flooded everywhere and infected my reservoir.  ::)

Anyone have an answer to this? It would be most helpful because every square of water on my map is now stagnant. I even tried pumping water.. worked the first time, now just makes stagnant water. Id like to at least change the river back to normal. Thanks

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2012, 06:48:20 am »

Someone mentioned using a well to get around having stagnant water; does this actually help?  Will a well make a stagnant cistern usable?
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs
Pages: 1 [2]