Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Adamantine Shields  (Read 3554 times)

Quift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Adamantine Shields
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2008, 02:56:00 am »

From personall experience you don't need to train the armorsmith up to those levels.

instead focus on training the troops.

2 champions, legendary weaponskill, wrestling, armour use and shield use and pump operators or siege operators.

let 4-5 undergo basic training and count that not all of them will make it all the way up.

give them medium quality adamantium gear, hammers, spears or swords depending on what they will be figting.

These 2 are enough to kill off an entire siege, any monster thrown at them and can handle infinite amounts of ranged troops aslong as they dont jump into the chasm or a pond when dodging.

I had 4 separate squads of this, each squad with a different weapon which enabled me to kill every single goblin in each and every sige (dispatched them in every direction to get the goblins from behind.)

complement this with 2 sqauds of 8 with champions markdsdwarves (the reason I needed all that bone), to man the ramparts, and if you train them in wrestling and armor and shield aswell you can use them as adamantine cld shocktroops.

I used chainmail to save up on the adamantine and still had a few hundred units left after everyone who needed to was clad and trained.

btmedic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2008, 07:08:00 am »

right now i have 2 legendary axe dwarfs, 2 legendary hammer dwarfs, and 2 legendary crossbow dwarfs with full plate adamantine armor and weapons (except the crossbow troops, they got steel weapons)i really need to add about 6-8 more crossbow dwarfs, and 2 of each other class and have them all reach legendary status before ill be happy. (playing with a limit of 75 dwarfs. only useful nobles in my fort  :D ) until then, the drawbridge over the lava moat shall remain up and in the locked position (till the caravans show up)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2008, 07:50:00 am »

You know what's more fun, after training up your super elite ultra amazing military of doom (I'm talking at least 20 5x legendaries(weapon, shield, armour, wrestling, pump) wearing the very best gear you can possibly field (at least chain+plate)), abandon, boot up adventurer, hunt down and try to kill them.

It's one of the hardest challenges in Dwarf Fortress. You can spend real life weeks training up a super legendary adventurer only to have him minced in one shot thanks to one of those guys above, not to mention that when you fight them, you'll be fighting them in huge groups. If you can do it, post the screenshot and battle log and everyone will worship you.

Pages: 1 [2]