Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Some questions  (Read 2761 times)

RickiusMaximus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Some questions
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2008, 05:51:00 am »

Wow, I don't know if any of you guys have ever actually played on terrifying biomes but I think you'll find that your hunters and fishermen don't last very long!

I would recommend relying solely on internal farming and having a big drawbridge to lock yourself in...

You'll also quickly find that even 20 dwarfs arn't enough, you want at least 5 of each basic profession- particularly miners, masons, stone detailers and farmers.

Then at least two of every other minor profession, as there is less work in minor professions you don't want to have to many dwarfs doing them as they will take ages to skill up.

Once you have all your professions sorted then draft everyone else, you need at least 10 marksdwarfs. Not to mention 20 guards and 10 royal guards once you get bigger.

quot;A Noble would have to be very fast, very tough, have the ability to breath water, survive a fall from about 30 stories, have asbestos skin, innards made of titanium... then, and only then, would he dare to demand Adamantine items"

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2008, 06:18:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Goblin Dragoon 085:
<STRONG>@martinuzz thanks for the armed civilians principle.
Sound very interesting and convenient. I need to try it some time.</STRONG>

I've just put it up on the wiki, under fortress defence

Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2008, 10:53:00 am »

Rickius: so long as you can lock yourself in, it's fairly straightforward to be self-sufficient indefinitely. So you can just ignore the outside world and skill up normally. Particularly when you're mining for ore, you want to get two miners up to legendary ASAP instead of having 5 professional miners. Of course, once you've dug out everything you need, you can just draft everyone who isn't involved in food production or making gear for the military. The more dwarves who aren't totally hopeless in a fight, the better, especially if you aren't going to rely on traps for defense.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels
Pages: 1 [2]