Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Did they really need to buff range this way?  (Read 10310 times)

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
Re: Did they really need to buff range this way?
« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2012, 05:25:11 pm »

I've outright broken my arms before, and although it hurt, obviously, like heck, it wasn't about to get me near to passing out, and it didn't even really slow me down. And I was even a child for all of those times.

When I broke my arm I distinctly remember although being in a lot of pain and there being a bit of a haze, I was able to hold my arm and walk towards my house.

Also losing a toe isn't much. You can walk with nine toes, obviously, I have a relative who does just that, although the pain and walking on would probably bring you down.

Edit:
And I have a pretty low pain threshold too (I think)

I would think its safe to say breaking a bone as a child wouldn't really be able to compare with an arrow/bolt causing a complex fracture as well as slicing many nerves apart and generally just fucking up your arm.
Alternatively, having it doing nothing but chip your bone through armor.

SuicideJunkie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 22, 2012, 12:41:39 am »

also found wrestling was buffed or something, seems even strangling anyone a little bit makes them instantly pass out, makes killing just about anyone easy work, strangle a turn and they pass out, chop off there head, win :D

That's been like that for quite a while, actually.

My last adventurer died (indirectly) from an arrow despite blocking it with his shield...

The first combat action against sapients:
> The bolt strikes you in the arm severing many nerves   >:(
> The bolt is deflected by your shield   :-\
> You drop your shield  :o

It didn't take long after that to die.

That's almost as if the arrow deals its damage before considering the effects of any defensive measures...

Are you sure you weren't just shot by a second bolt fired by a different crossbowman at the same time? I've never had any problem blocking arrows/bolts with shields.
Shouldn't the shield-drop have happened along with the first bolt impact before a second archer would even decide to fire?  There weren't any archers on screen at the time, but that doesn't mean there couldn't have been two.

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 22, 2012, 05:27:01 am »

Could it be that the bolt just hit the wrong side of your shield?

Maybe (out of bad luck, clumsiness or dumbness, or because the marksman was behind your adventurer) your adventurer had the backside of your shield facing the enemy ...
in this case the bolt could first have hit the arm holding the shield, going right through it and then, after coming out of the other side of your arm, getting deflected by the backside of your shield

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 22, 2012, 02:13:00 pm »

Yeah, I think reloading needs to be a manual action. Different types of crossbows/ longbows should have different reloading times.

But you ou should be able to say, fire a bolt and then run away without reloading right away.

Knigel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 22, 2012, 03:29:27 pm »

also found wrestling was buffed or something, seems even strangling anyone a little bit makes them instantly pass out, makes killing just about anyone easy work, strangle a turn and they pass out, chop off there head, win :D

That's been like that for quite a while, actually.

My last adventurer died (indirectly) from an arrow despite blocking it with his shield...

The first combat action against sapients:
> The bolt strikes you in the arm severing many nerves   >:(
> The bolt is deflected by your shield   :-\
> You drop your shield  :o

It didn't take long after that to die.

That's almost as if the arrow deals its damage before considering the effects of any defensive measures...

Are you sure you weren't just shot by a second bolt fired by a different crossbowman at the same time? I've never had any problem blocking arrows/bolts with shields.
Shouldn't the shield-drop have happened along with the first bolt impact before a second archer would even decide to fire?  There weren't any archers on screen at the time, but that doesn't mean there couldn't have been two.

I repeat, a second bolt fired at the same time. One is blocked, the other screws up your adventure's hand, the shield is dropped one frame later.

dirty foot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 22, 2012, 05:05:23 pm »

Yeah, I think reloading needs to be a manual action. Different types of crossbows/ longbows should have different reloading times.

But you ou should be able to say, fire a bolt and then run away without reloading right away.
Why should we not be able to reload while moving?

Not all crossbows pull the same way.

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 22, 2012, 05:45:48 pm »

But you  should be able to say, fire a bolt and then run away without reloading right away.

A crossbow has to be braced to the ground to be cocked. Unless it's a very weak crossbow, then maybe it could just be treated as a type of conventional bow, where it is drawn prior to firing.

dirty foot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 22, 2012, 06:33:46 pm »

But you  should be able to say, fire a bolt and then run away without reloading right away.

A crossbow has to be braced to the ground to be cocked. Unless it's a very weak crossbow, then maybe it could just be treated as a type of conventional bow, where it is drawn prior to firing.
I'd like to see some pistol crossbows.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]