Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: DS with a wired internet connection?  (Read 1380 times)

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
DS with a wired internet connection?
« on: February 19, 2012, 08:58:37 am »

First, does this belong in this sub-forum? I didn't really know where it would fit in.

Anyways, the question:

Is there some roundabout way to hook my DS up to the internet using a cable? I don't have a wireless router because it was hacked before, and I hate having to run to a hotspot every time I need it to get online. Everywhere I've looked says to just give up because it doesn't have a port for anything but a wireless adapter. However, I can't help but feel like there must be something out there to let me do this with a cable. Anyone got any ideas? This is just a regular DS, if that matters at all.

Charmander

• Bay Watcher
  • [!!TAIL!!]
    • View Profile
Re: DS with a wired internet connection?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 10:04:15 am »

The best you can do is a Wi-Fi USB connector. Which is discontinued, so odds are you'd have to trawl through eBay looking for one.

... By which they look pretty common, 'though I've never tested any of them whatsoever, so I can't comment.

amjh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 10:42:04 am »

I use connectify with my 3DS, it's a software that allows you to easily set up a temporary wireless network from a computer. But, it needs windows 7, so it's no good if you don't have that.
I've used the free version for a few months and haven't had any problems with it, it takes about a minute to put up or take down the network.
The truly amazing thing for me here is that a 6 page thread can be created of exceedingly high quality, simply because a group of manic depressive, schizophrenic midgets were able to milk a cow.
Argblarg 5 am not all tiles are done what the

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 07:47:46 am »

I'll check these out and report back.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 08:20:14 pm »

I'm thinking I'm going to try one of the wireless adapters, but which one should I use? The process of getting them to install and function properly looks daunting and uncertain at best. I'm using windows 7. Also, some of them are very expensive for something I won't be using constantly.

Please excuse my ignorance :(.