Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Killing Floor  (Read 5377 times)

Shzar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Killing Floor
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2012, 03:51:47 pm »

I'm The Minstrel Boy on Steam. I'm a lvl. 6 medic, and I would like to play some more Killing Floor, but as in L4D, pubbing around can be a hair-pulling experience, so my play time as of late has dropped off.

A few wee pointers from an experienced medic:

All players should heal each other rather than themselves if it's viable to do so. By healing others you (a) use less of your syringe charge; (b) earn a few pounds; and (c) earn a few points to your medic perk. (Of course, if you're in mortal danger or far away from your teammates go ahead and shoot yourself up, but you get none of the above benefits by doing so.)
If you have a medic on your team, let him heal you. As Metalax said, don't hop around if you're waiting for a healing dart. Keep line of sight with your medic, and a good medic will heal you within a couple of seconds of injury as long as he can get the shot off.
Medics can't kill as effectively as other classes, so they rely on healing to make their quid, and that quid will often be given back to the team. I've even played rounds with other players that would self-harm by jumping off cliffs near the ends of rounds so that I could earn more money and creep ever closer to the next level up.
000634 □ [adventure mode][environment]   jumping into water while on fire resulted in steamy death

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2012, 10:54:47 am »

I would've found it nicer if the progression had rewards like in Alien Swarm, where newer != better.

The current leveling allows people who play worse than you but have +50% damage call you a noob...

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2012, 11:31:16 am »

Fun fact: Ironsights actually don't improve accuracy at all. Their only effects are showing you the center of your screen and slowing you down slightly. So if you know where the center of your screen if, there's basically no downside to hipfiring. And if you don't know where they are, you can just run up to a wall, shoot it, and put some tape on the bullet mark.
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2012, 05:48:59 pm »

Hmmm, I do have the feeling that your cone becomes smaller. Is that just me?

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2012, 05:59:36 pm »

It's always seemed that way to me. The spread on the shotgun tightens up a lot with IS.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Vibhor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2012, 10:42:11 am »

The weapons use hitscan for bullets. I don't know whether its relevant or not but just throwing it out there.
Also, could anybody give some pointers for the bezerkers? Also, what the hell is kiting?

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2012, 10:45:56 am »

Also, what the hell is kiting?
Running away when the enemies get too close, or more like not letting them get close at all. Keep your enemies at the exact distance where they cant hit you, but you can hit them.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2012, 10:46:56 am »

Kiting = Running away from your enemies, keeping them just out of reach, while you shoot them in the face. A sharpshooter can easily clear several waves by themselves doing this, as long as they have good situational awareness and level knowledge.

Zerking - It's a hard freaking job in KF. For any non-boss mob, you want to go for head shots (decaps.) It is by far a more efficient way to kill clots, bloats and gorefasts than wailing on their torso. Any mob that has been decapitated takes bonus damage from all sources...so your second swing as a zerker will usually kill a decapped zed.

You have to change your style for boss zeds though. Now your job isn't to kill them, but to tie them up so your other teammates can kill them. You want to get in their face ASAP (with good lines of fire from your team to the zed) then use your stun attack repeatedly. If you're doing it right, the boss zed will remain stunned the whole time. (Fleshpounds tend to not stay stunned as long though.) If you did it wrong, you'll get a stun or two off and then a skrake will stick his chain saw into your guts.

Being a berzerker is very, very hard until you reach ~Rank 4. Even with passive damage resistance, you get hit more often than anyone else and are in great danger of getting hit by multiple guys at once. A good berzerker set up pretty much requires a dedicated medic. You can get by without one, but you'll spend a lot of time running behind the lines to heal yourself, blocking people's shots ect....with a medic at your back, you can take a doorway and sit there the whole wave without moving. It also makes leveling for the medic pretty easy too.

But yeah. Berzerker takes longer to level and is more difficult to get leveled than any other class IMO. Even SS. Because while headshots take longer to get, your survival rate is about 100% higher.

As for Chainsaw vs. Katana, I prefer the Katana. The CS can be good under some circumstances, but you honestly want the quickness of the Katana stun over the much slower (but probably more damaging) chainsaw stun attack.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 10:51:16 am by nenjin »
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Vibhor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2012, 10:52:06 am »

You have to change your style for boss zeds though. Now your job isn't to kill them, but to tie them up so your other teammates can kill them. You want to get in their face ASAP (with good lines of fire from your team to the zed) then use your stun attack repeatedly. If you're doing it right, the boss zed will remain stunned the whole time. (Fleshpounds tend to not stay stunned as long though.) If you did it wrong, you'll get a stun or two off and then a skrake will stick his chain saw into your guts.

I've noticed this that the stun gets broken when the enemies are hit by another team mate. Is this true or just me going bonkers?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2012, 11:03:43 am »

Could be. I haven't played in a while so that may have been a balance change, so good zerkers can't trivialize the boss zeds.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2012, 12:06:40 pm »

Yes the stun gets broken if they take damage that doesn't put them into another stun.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2012, 12:28:36 pm »

Generally it's best to let a support guy with a double barrel, or a sharpshooter with a crossbow, try to take down the big 'uns while the berzerker stuns them. As opposed to having the Commando unload a SCAR into its head and break the stun. Generally what I've noticed is, when the stun gets broken and isn't instantly reapplied, skrakes and fleshpounds will charge immediately upon coming out of stun. Which makes it practically impossible for the berzerker to re-apply it.

Also, as berzerker, one of your jobs is to put yourself between a charging skrake or FP and their target. They often won't switch targets and continue trying to charge through. Intercepting a charging boss zed can often save lives, if your team mates were already wounded.

MantisMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Say what you mean, mean what you say.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2012, 06:13:21 pm »

I normally play as Commando. The only use I've gotten out of pistols is as an emergency weapon for when a fleshpound or scrake gets into close range. At ranges like those, the lack of decent iron sights doesn't matter as much.

I use the name Charles on steam at the moment. I'm thinking of changing it this summer.
How I usually build my fort.
We're all secretly mantises. Except that one guy. We're trolling the shit out of him.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2012, 06:32:17 pm »

If a scrake gets in close range empty a mag of MK17 into its face and it dies.

What I do is I use the AKM throughout the wave, and then pull out the MK17 when bigger stuff comes around. It's also good to takes shots at an FP or scrake's head before it gets pissed off, then switching to the Mk17 once it's pissed to fill its head with lead as it charges. It's a little harder if the scrake is targetting someone else though, since they'll be moving laterally.

The pistol is good when there isn't much danger, so you can conserve some ammo.
Pages: 1 [2]