Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Killing Floor  (Read 5378 times)

kg333

• Bay Watcher
  • Derp.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Killing Floor
« on: February 16, 2012, 01:54:26 pm »

Hi all,

Just picked this up on the sale...any Bay12ers who want to play, or any tips for getting started from more experienced players?

KG

Goron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Killing Floor
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 02:08:17 pm »

Great game, superior to l4d in my opinion.
Tips? Learn to headshot. Seriously. Practice taking good headshots- useful for Any and all classes and projectile weapons, even auto ones.

ukulele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 02:08:21 pm »

Aim for headshots, dont angry the chainsaw one or the fleshpound, let the clases "specialized" to deal with them kill them, if by mistake some one makes them angry (it will happen) focus fire on them. I would love a b12 game but the lag would kill me, so theres not much else to say, a far superior game that LF2 if you ask me, so nice purchase.

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 02:45:08 pm »

A nice tip would be which classes are suited against chainsaws and fleshpounds :P

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 03:52:50 pm »

Just got this as well, add me on Steam (siquo) if you want to play with another noob ;)

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 04:01:07 pm »

Some important notes.

Don't jump into higher difficulty games without having spent the time to have leveled up any class you are going to use to an appropriate level. You will simply cause things to be harder for the other players as you will be unable to cause sufficient damage to carry yourself, you will be unable to afford decent weapons and each additional player causes more and tougher zeds to spawn in each wave, which is a problem if you die early each round through being unable to keep up.

Assuming that you are reasonably skilled, aim for beginner 0-1, normal 2-3, hard 4-5, suicidal 6, hell on earth 6 + a good deal of experience.

Assault rifles and the firebugs mac10 have an alternate fire that toggles them from the default full auto to semi auto. You will almost always want to remember to switch to this. Combine this with using their sights and taking headshots, it may take you 2-3 bullets depending on weapon but you will almost always take down a pack much faster than just spraying around on full auto.

Everyone has a medic injector, USE IT. While it is best to use it on another player as you will be able to give two heal shots for the same recharge time, don't neglect to use it on yourself if you are currently away from enemies and are injured. Also when a medic is trying to heal you with his darts, dont keep jumping around. Aside from the husk and phatriach there are no ranged enemies so learn to ignore your instincts from other FPS's of needing to constantly keep dodging. This will not only allow your medic to heal you effectively from long range it will also help prevent zeds from constantly switching directions to follow you which make them harder targets for sharpshooters.

In my experience dual handguns are a liability as you loose the ability to aim accurately with the ironsights and have a much longer reload animation.

Skrakes (the chainsaw wielding zeds) are best taken out by a bezerker with a katana as each hit will briefly stun it and, as long as no one else is stupid enough to shoot at it causing the stun to break, it will be unable to respond.

At range a sharpshooter with a crossbow can kill them with a single headshot on lower difficulties and at higher difficulties will put it in a stunned state that lets you get a second shot to finish it off, alternatively if you have good aim the lever action rifle or m14 can take it out with multiple head shots.

Support can take it out with a few regular shotgun blasts then quick switch to the hunting shotgun and use it's alternate fire to finish it off. Half a clip fired from the aa12 will also put it down.

Demolitions, firebugs, commandoes and medics should avoid skrakes unles they have no choice, in particular dont blindly fire explosives at one as you will just make it much more difficult for your sharpshooter to get off a clean headshot.

Fleshpounds are best taken out by demolitions either by using a pipebomb deployed a little way in front of it and allowing it to walk over it or by scoring several direct hits with a M32. A LAW shot to the head will also work but is harder to pull off if it is headed for someone else.

Sharpshooters who have good aim and are at range can take them out with multiple crosbow bolts to the head. Note, it will stop and play it's enrage animation after the first bolt which gives you a chance to line up a second before it comes charging at you.

Support can take them out with a full clip from an aa12. At higher difficulties they will also need to use the hunting shotguns alt fire, and possibly start off with a couple of grenades.

Beserkers who have the timing down can deal with fleshpounds using the fireaxes alt fireand stepping back out of rangewhen the FP swings at you. This does take a good deal of practice and if you fail to get the timing right, or if someone enrages the FP it will result in a quick death.

Firebugs, commandoes and medics should wait for one of the other classes to engage before firing on the FP. Firebugs should use the mac10 if giving supporting fire on a FP as the flamethrower obscures the FP enough to make it more difficult for a sharpshooter aiming for a headshot. A fully charged husk cannon shot is an alternative option for dealing with a FP on lower difficulties.

A final note, Sirens should almost always be given the highest priority in being targeted aside from an enraged fleshpound. If one is able to get in and scream it can throw the entire team into disarray.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 04:08:57 pm by Metalax »
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

kg333

• Bay Watcher
  • Derp.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2012, 04:57:00 pm »

Added you, siquo.  And thanks to everyone for the tips!  Sounds like the gunplay style will be right up my alley; I'm a big fan of ARMA.

KG

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2012, 05:37:12 pm »

[DFC] Grue over here. I've been playing quite a bit over the past few days and would welcome a somewhat regular group to play with.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2012, 05:45:03 pm »

Metalax pretty much gave the complete breakdown. Only other advice I would give is-

1. Know your role and don't try to step outside of it. Berzerkers shouldn't be wasting time cutting up Clots if there are other more important targets, and Commandos shouldn't try to solo Flesh Pounds on Hard+.

2. Kite the last few zeds in each wave, so everyone has PLENTY of time to reach the trader and get organized.

3. Always give yourself ~30 seconds to reach your camp spot after leaving the trader.

4. There is no shame in a grenade death if it takes many of the bastards with you.

5. Stand behind your demo man, NOT in front of them.

6. Real men play with friendly fire on. And die horribly.

7. Often the best way to cheese the patriarch is to surround him with berzerkers using stun attacks, so he can't run and he can't heal. Chances are someone will die for the team, but zerkers live to die.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2012, 07:06:25 pm »

Phew. Pretty intense, a lot worse than L4D2... This definitely needs teamwork.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2012, 07:18:03 pm »

My friends and I got to the point where we can play KF with our eyes closed on hard. It's amazing to me considering what the game is like when you first start, you're like, omg, there's no way to survive this. Of course perks have a lot to do with the difficulty curve.

And yes, teamwork or GTFO. The only plan is to find a camp spot with 2 angles of attack and support each other. Unfortunately, that's the game's biggest drawback, camping is the only viable strategy. We've tried fighting running battles in KF, but it's just impossible because of how zeds get spawned.

I found KF way more visceral and intense than L4D. When you shoot something in KF, you feel it. Unlike L4D where it feels like you're shooting paper dolls.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 07:24:55 pm by nenjin »
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2012, 08:55:50 pm »

I dunno, when you're alone running around is the best strategy, if you can somehow get insane coordination and cohesion I can see running around being viable. It's best on open maps like Farm though. Westlondon would probably be good because people are guided into 'corridors' to run through.

With a running defense you want to be killing zeds in the direction you are moving, unless it's crawlers.

An addition to Metalox's post I should add, is that the hitboxes for the heads of some zeds are rather peculiar, like the bloat's hitbox is near his jaw, kinda, hitting his forehead doesn't seem to count.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2012, 09:38:39 pm »

Any map a siren can be within screaming distance of you, before you see her, is a map where kiting isn't possible. Sharpshooters used to, with the M-14, pretty much kite the last half of a wave if everyone die. If you can max out the spawn cap and get everything following you in a train, kiting becomes pretty easy, and you're rarely surprised by respawns.

When everyone is gunning stuff down and moving though....new zeds are spawning every few seconds ahead and behind. And as soon as one is a siren....your group is hosed. I'd rather have a Flesh Pound turn the corner on me than a Siren.

So yeah, on farm with some really good players, a running game is possible. Most any other map, it's not. And I don't really count kiting solo as the running game....more like exploiting the limitations of the program.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2012, 10:04:59 pm »

Anyone wants a decent sharpshooter, I'm always on call.

(Click ◄ globe for my SteamID)

Twiggie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2012, 03:27:43 pm »

I play demo mostly, twiggie3103 for steam. gonna have to wait a bit before i play more thanks to uni deadlines all arriving at the same time :<
Pages: [1] 2