Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Author Topic: Where Flesh Meets Flesh Mod  (Read 12207 times)

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
Re: Where Flesh Meets Flesh Mod
« Reply #90 on: May 29, 2009, 05:02:01 am »

Heh.  ;D

Yes, these are placeholders, you're absolutely right. They're going to remain placeholders for a while yet, I'm afraid... The idea is to just get the basic gruntwork done, and then put in the research and balancing, over time, filling them in as I go

That's where I'll need the most help, by the way, since I can't playtest anything.

I'll get everything fixed, but it's going to take some time. I very much appreciate any help with the plurals.

In other news: I've decided to split this thread up into separate "mods", due to the vermin just becoming too enormous of a project. This thread will remain for general discussion.

And yeah, I agree that the other name was better, but I like to change it around, just for my own pathological amusement. You can probably expect a new name (or a newly recycled one) every month or two, just to keep things entertaining for me.

Here's the fun part: Come up with a good name for the mod, and I'll happily use the name, and give you credit for it, on the OP.  8)

It's not much, but it's one easy way for me to show my appreciation for all of your support. I'll try to come up with some others. Thanks, everybody!
For they would be your masters.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress: The Fleshening!
« Reply #91 on: May 30, 2009, 12:48:20 am »

Elven genetic engineering- well, without precision (metal) tools no chance of that.

Well, Mendelian engineering and the understanding that teaching an animal to be friendly has no impact on the innate friendliness of the next generation (*read friendly:any trait) would more or less make them masters of modifying nature- but I can't think of the ways they would choose to master it.

Random idea I wanted to express: I know the town types are hard coded in but having 'natural' wooden walls (as in not constructed) and the buildings all being tree shaped would make for more interesting elven ruins and such.
With occasional areas where some distinct plant grow (bundle of leaves,) around the exterior and on top of these would make it tree-like enough I think. Though a bunch of hanging materials like with GCS webs could also work.

Two options I see for this. Hollow trees or basically tree houses with twig constructed walkways for getting up the trees- like a spiral ramp since two people trying to move past each other on a ladder would be even worse than narrow hallway syndrome.

And exploring "the deku tree" as an adventurer...
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
Refresh the Flesh.
« Reply #92 on: February 17, 2012, 08:05:16 am »

I'm bumping this thread, even though it's admittedly ancient, so that I can post and update new entities and beings I'm adding to my mod, without crowding my other ongoing mods, particularly as I still reference this mod, and plan on using, or atleast updating and/or somehow incorporating, the information herein.

Here's what I'm planning, first off:
Six small elven entities, four of which will be interdependant on one another, and which will each operate during a single season, plus two less organized, nomadic entities: the Liosalfar (light elves) and the dokkalfar (dark elves), which will have some trading capacity.

The 4-in-one elvish "empire" will be in general very peaceful, and mercantile in nature, but will have very powerful allies in the form of various impressive "forest spirits" (based on plants and trees, but more various than just entlike beings) as well as guardian animals and animalmen, forest trolls, and various creatures of faerie.

Each division of the "empire" will function only during a single season, will have a seasonal theme, and I'm going to work hard to make each quite distinctive.

The other two elf entities (liosalfar and dokkalfar) will be less peaceful in general, but also less powerful overall, with fewer allies. They will show up throughout the year, however, and have more basic, less expensive goods, overall.

I'm going to try to work out a way to mod in some kind of mercenary system, into the game, so that you can hire beings from other entity civilizations to join your Fortress, and any such elf mercenaries will probably only come from the two nomadic groups, although the elf empire entity may occasionally offer some quite powerful guardian beasts for your Fortress's protection, or some very valuable pets.

The second entity I'm going to add will be a powerful group of giantish beings. These will be a most dangerous civilization of beings, one of the least moral entities that will actually be willing to trade with you. This will be an effort to transform the "giant" semi-megabeast into something more extraordinary than a "giant human", so I'm going to give them a civilization with several subgroups, high skill in bronze crafting, unique goods and materials, including metals and alloys that can't otherwise obtained, and a fully fleshed out entity that you may either trade with, or go to war against. This will be a very risky entity to attempt to cheat or steal from.

I'll add other information as I come up with it, but this should be a nice area to put ideas for critters and entities.
For they would be your masters.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]