Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Where Flesh Meets Flesh Mod  (Read 12200 times)

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
Where Flesh Meets Flesh Mod
« on: December 27, 2008, 02:59:32 am »

No, this isn't a mod that lets you experience an electronic world-hurricane of endless, tireless, brain-destroying orgiastic pleasure-vistas, tantric fugues that last longer than a single lifetime, or alien-god-erotica.

But that would be awesome.

This, in terms of pure ambition, is a big, big mod. I wonder how far I can get with it?

Wall of Verbage:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Any constructive ideas/criticisms are welcome, but keep in mind that I'm one of those needy, narcissistic people who thrives on encouragement, so if you want a nice mod to play with, without having to do it yourself, please consider my fragile emotional state ;D
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 02:18:27 am by SirHoneyBadger »
For they would be your masters.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress: The Fleshening!
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2008, 04:23:47 am »

There's Mineral mod which adds A LOT of minerals and ores.
There's Martial Arts mod which adds a lot of items and flavour to races.

There will be... ahem... my mod which is partly done (check the FM thread) which centers on expanding existant races.

For example: kobolds. Well, they should use BUGS :). I mean, if you have ever played Kobold Quest you know what I mean.
Also I have a lot of different weapon types for dwarves ready and I draw some new graphics sets for existant races to add to my mod.

So you can try to look at already made things to avoid repeating of something which is already done. Modbase is forgotten for some reasons but it lets you add modular mods which is a great thing so if you can make a few modules for ModBase it would be great.

An idea about various creatures with the same name (i.e. darkskinned/lightskinned people with different items/cultures but both called "humans") is cool. If you can center on it the idea may turn out really fun.

Just my 5 cents. Good luck with your mod, I hope you come up with really cool ideas.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

corvvs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2008, 10:06:13 am »

An idea about various creatures with the same name (i.e. darkskinned/lightskinned people with different items/cultures but both called "humans") is cool. If you can center on it the idea may turn out really fun.

Just my 5 cents. Good luck with your mod, I hope you come up with really cool ideas.

You can actually do this (well, not the skin color, but the two "races", same name) in the current version. I just made a race of "Unseleigh Sidhe" and one of "Seleigh Sidhe" (scottish mythology - evil elves and more-or-less neutral elves) that both show up in Legends as "sidhe." I'm working on making them more antagonistic toward each other - mostly the seleigh (at least I think it's them... possibly the unseleigh due to similar biomes) fight goblins and the unseleigh fight humans (that part probably shouldn't change too much).

Also I guess I need to make slavery less "good" for the unseleigh - they prefer taking prisoners to making totem poles of the bodies of their enemies.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2008, 10:55:22 am »

You can't make them to live in a single entity in normal conditions, that's the problem.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Plank of Wood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2008, 11:37:14 am »

Please, for the love of god, make it possible to smelt cinnabar into something useful? I wouldn't care if mercury walls made my dwarves crazy, because we're talking about the same race which goes crazy and kill everyone if their freind dies from stubbing his toe.
The science of burning innocent children could be perfected into clockwork.
They're like little bearded corals.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2008, 12:34:00 pm »

OK... wow.

Um.. alright let me list the things that arent possible.

1. Sea-salt, for all I know the entity sand (Insert subtype here) is also classified under another rock type. you can add it into the game but dont expect it to appear JUST near the oceans.

2. Titans with gunz, partly because you need to give them the intelligent tag, and give them their own little entity_standard place.
You would need to set maxpop to something like, 1, because Titans dont reproduce (Do they? O.o)

You could make them live in goblin towers.

3. Gem Gnomes;

In order to do this you would need a whole set of reaction_standard stuff for making the gems if you ever want to player them.
As far as I know, the only tag to make them do something like that is [Wood_Pref], and that only works for wood.

mi amigo, no es posible :/

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2008, 03:04:34 pm »

Deon, I'd love to use other mods, and it looks like there are some good ones (thanks!), but-for the love of God!-they're hard to find! I guess there's some kind of stigma against Sticky threads? but one with a big list of all the working mods is desperately needed. It just isn't fair to the artists who make them, or the players who want to use them, to have to wade through the entire mod thread, in order to find what we want.

That's part of the reason I decided to make my own mod, it's inspiration to search through the whole mod thread, and mine out all the little nuggets of goodery.

OK... wow.

Um.. alright let me list the things that arent possible.

1. Sea-salt, for all I know the entity sand (Insert subtype here) is also classified under another rock type. you can add it into the game but dont expect it to appear JUST near the oceans.

2. Titans with gunz, partly because you need to give them the intelligent tag, and give them their own little entity_standard place.
You would need to set maxpop to something like, 1, because Titans dont reproduce (Do they? O.o)

You could make them live in goblin towers.

3. Gem Gnomes;

In order to do this you would need a whole set of reaction_standard stuff for making the gems if you ever want to player them.
As far as I know, the only tag to make them do something like that is [Wood_Pref], and that only works for wood.

mi amigo, no es posible :/

If that's all that isn't possible, I'll be a happy badger  8)

I'm not too hung up on sea salt (rock salt is, after all, more thematic), and getting it from sand (new material: "beach sand"? would be ok with me, although at some point in the game, I'll hope that sea water can be processed. This goes along with the gem gnomes: If a "Gem_Pref" tag is necessary for what I want, then I'll request one from the Devs at some point. Hopefully, they won't find it too unreasonable.

The gnomes, by the way, were inspired by Eric Flint's novella "Diamonds are Forever". Free to read online, if anyone's interested.

Titans, if they specifically can't reproduce, then I'll just mod that part. Going with the "dying Gods" theme, I might make them into a bunch of little tiny civilizations, with like "Max Pop = 5" or something. That way, they can have pantheons.

Cinnabar would make an interesting option for something that alloys with adamantium. I'll have to keep it in mind.

And I like the idea of the Seelie/Unseelie Courts. If and when it becomes possible, they might make good candidates for civilizations made up of many different races, since you could do Daonie Sidhe, Leprechauns, Clurichans, brownies, grigs, sprites, what have you.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2008, 03:20:21 pm »

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=28829.0

Look under the "ModBase" link. It has... a lot.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Dude_Jebawe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2008, 07:45:57 pm »

Sounds meaty.

I'm sorry I couldn't resist.

Thuellai

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody's business but the Turks
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2008, 09:22:24 pm »

One of these races could use Glass Fort, as well!

Mmm, shameless plug.

I had a similar aim in creating grades of metals, though in that case it's mostly dependent on the glass used.
When you're following an angel, does it mean you have to throw your body off a building?

"So kids, what story do you want me to read to you tonight?"
"Oooh!  Oooh!  Goldibeard and the The Rotting Corpses!"
~LegacyCWAL

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Metals Fix: Part the First.
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2008, 11:15:15 pm »

First of all, here's the basic list of forging changes/additions I hope to mod in, explaining the respective weapon/armour grades for various metals. I'll be expanding on this list, and using it as a reference.

20 = Gold, Rose Gold, Bismuth, Platinum: Note: there's no reason dwarfs shouldn't be able to make weapons or armor from other precious metals, the functionality could be assumed to be more or less the same (very poor), and the possibility of forging weapons/armor made from precious metals would
have it's own coolness factor.

20 = Arsenic (new bar, found in arsenide ore)
20 = Calmia (new bar found in calmian ore, about as rare as silver)
20 = Uranium (new bar, smelted from Uranium ore, which is found in lead. Uranium is about as rare as platinum.)
20 = Rhodium (rarer and more valuable than platinum, found in platinum),
20 = Palladium (found in nickel, worth about as much as gold)
20 = Osmium (found in nickel, worth about as much as gold)
20 = Rhenium (found in rheniite, also found in molybdenum, rarer and more valuable than platinum)
20 = Beryllium (very rare, found in red and golden beryl)

33 = lead, electrum, aluminum, black bronze, corinthian bronze (more valuable than black bronze, formula = 1 copper bar + 2 silver bars + 1 gold bar), silver, the various forms of pewter. 

40 = glass, flint/stone, chrome (new bar, 'Chromium' is the ore, about as rare as silver).

50 = Hard wood (maple, oak, walnut, etc.), Shell, Rock Crystal, Molybdenum (Molybdenum is found in molybdenite ore. It is about as rare as platinum).

60 = cobalt (new bar, derived from Cobaltite ore, about as rare as silver), azurite (new bar, derived from Chessylite ore).

66 = Copper, nickel silver, billon, brass, zinc, tin, bone.

70 = Auricupridite (pink, new bar, found in Auric ore, about as rare as platinum)

70 = Black Brass (black, 1 bar of copper, 1 bar of tin, 1 bar of zinc, 1 bar of lead)

75 = Cold Iron (basic iron bar), some extremely hard exotic woods (ebony, lignum vitae, teak, zebrawood, purpleheart, iron wood, hickory, etc.)

80 = Bronze (1 bar of copper, 1 bar of tin), Elven heartwood (specially grown wood), vanadium (new bar, found in Vanadinite ore, which is about as rare as silver, but more valuable).

90 = Pig Iron (1 bar of iron, 1 unit of flux), Titanium (new bar, found in Ilmenite ore).

90 = Red Brass (3 bars of copper, 1 bar of tin, 1 bar of zinc)

90 = Bismuth Bronze

95 = White Bronze (1 bar of copper, 1 bar of tin, 1 unit of ortho)

100 = Nickel (green)

100 = Beryl Copper (red, 1 bar of beryllium, 1 bar of copper)

100 = Wootz Iron (requires 1 bar of iron, 1 bar of pig iron, 1 unit of green glass)

110 = Cast Iron (requires 2 bars of iron, 1 unit of flux)

115 = Auricipride (crimson, requires 2 bars of copper, 1 bar of gold, 1 bar of auricipridite)

120 = Nickel Iron (requires 2 bars of iron, 1 bar of nickel). May occasionally be found in nugget form, about as rare as gold.

120 = Tantalum (blue grey, new bar, found in tantalite, which is found in tin)

125 = Arsenical Bronze (green, requires 3 bars of copper, 1 bar of tin, 1 bar of arsenic.)

130 = Bronzium (bright yellow, requires 2 bars of copper, 1 bar of zinc, 1 bar of tin, 1 bar of calmia).

130 = Tungsten (grey, Tungsten is found in wolframite ore, and is about as rare as platinum)

133 = Steel (1 bar of iron, 1 bar of pig iron, 2 bars of flux)

135 = Red Steel (2 bars of iron, 2 bars of flux, 1 bar of cinnabar)

135 = Blue Steel (2 bars of iron, 2 bars of flux, 1 bar of cobalt)

135 = Auric Bronze (3 bars of copper, 1 bar of tin, 1 bar of calmia, 1 bar of auricipridite)

140 = Black Steel (black, aka high carbon steel, requires 2 bars of iron, 3 bars of flux.)

140 = Patterned Steel (light blue, more valuable form of steel, would require 1 bar of steel, 1 bar of wootz iron)

140 = Mosaic Steel (a more valuable form of Patterned Steel, would require 1 bar of steel, 1 bar of wootz iron, and either 1 bar of cobalt (Blue Mosaic Steel), cinnabar (Red Mosaic Steel), nickel (Green Mosaic Steel), chrome (White Mosaic Steel), or 1 bar of cast iron (Black Mosaic Steel).

140 = Iridium (blue, Iridium is found in iridiosmium, which is found in iron, and is rarer than platinum)

145 = Crucible Steel  (dark blue, requires forging and combining 3 bars of Pig Iron)

145 = Immaculate Steel (aka "Stainless Steel", white, requires 1 bar of pig iron, 1 bar of nickel iron, 1 bar of chrome).

150 = Meteor Steel (sky blue, would require 1 bar of nickel, smelted with 1 bar of Crucible Steel, can be found in extremely rare cases, in nugget form, about as rare as platinum or aluminum.

150 = Osmiridium (dark blue, requires 1 bar of osmium and and 1 bar of iridium)

150 = Stellite (silver, would require 1 bar of cobalt, 1 bar of chrome, and 1 bar of tungsten)

160 = Titanite (white, would require 1 bar of titanium smelted with 1 bar of meteor steel)

160 = Talonite (silver, would requre 2 bars of cobalt, 2 bars of chrome, and 1 bar of tungsten)

166 = Beryl Bronze (dark brown, would require 1 bar of beryllium, 2 bars of copper, 1 bar of zinc, and 1 bar of tin)

170 = Julian Steel (would require 1 bar of nickel, 1 bar of cobalt, and 1 bar of tungsten, smelted with 1 bar of Crucible Steel)

Jovian Steel (if possible, Jovian Steel will be the absolute best metal smeltable by humans, except for Orichalcum)

175 = Jovian Steel (would require 1 bar of titanium, smelted with 2 bars of meteor steel)

Deep Steel and Still Steel (the best non-legendary metals in the game)

185 = Deep Steel (dark grey, would require 1 bar of titanium, 1 bar of iridium, and 1 bar of molybdenum, smelted with 2 bars of meteor steel).

185 = Still Steel (silver, would require 1 bar of cobalt, 1 bar of tungsten, and 1 bar of palladium, smelted with 2 bars of meteor steel)

Anything at 200+ will be considered will be considered a "legendary" metal type, meaning it'll be a candidate for special abilities, in combination with other items.

Orichalcum (A metal especially beloved by humans.)

200 = Orichalcum (reddish orange, would require 3 bars of copper, 3 bars of calmia, 1 bar of gold)

Ithildium (as close to Mithril as I'm willing to get, a light, silvery metal that glows in the dark, invented by elves, who are very fond of it)

200 = Ithildium (Silver, requires 3 bars of silver, 1 bar of aluminum, 1 bar of titanium, 1 bar of vanadium, 1 bar of chrome, 1 bar of iridium)

200 = Drak (dark brown, requires 1 bar of rhenium, 1 bar of molybdenum, and 2 bars of nickel)

Starmetal (basically a fantasy version of Mosaic Damascus, on steroids, comes in various colors)

225 = Green Starmetal (would require a bar of titanium, a bar of nickel, a bar of cobalt, a bar of tungsten, a bar of iridium, and a bar of vanadium)

225 = White Starmetal (would require a bar of titanium, a bar of nickel, a bar of cobalt, a bar of tungsten, a bar of iridium, and a bar of chrome)

225 = Red Starmetal (would require a bar of titanium, a bar of nickel, a bar of cobalt, a bar of tungsten, a bar of iridium, and a bar of cinnabar)

225 = Blue Starmetal (would require a bar of nickel, a bar of titanium, a bar of cobalt, a bar of tungsten, a bar of iridium, and a bar of azurite)

225 = Black Starmetal (would require a bar of nickel, a bar of titanium, a bar of cobalt, a bar of tungsten, a bar of iridium, and a bar of uranium)

225 = Gold Starmetal (would require 1 bar of nickel, 1 bar of titanium, 1 bar of cobalt, 1 bar of tungsten, 1 bar of iridium, and 1 bar of gold)

250 = Stygium (deep blue, would require 3 bars of uranium, 3 bars of aluminum, 1 bar of cinnabar, 1 bar of tungsten)

250 = Zeon (golden, improbably rare metal, found in diamond)

275 = Beryllide (crimson, 1 bar of beryllium, 1 bar of titanium, 1 bar of nickel, 1 bar of cobalt, 1 bar of tantalum, 1 unit of red zircon, 1 unit of black zircon)

300 = Auram (bright yellow, would require 3 bars of gold, 1 bar of iridium, 1 bar of auricipridite, 1 bar of copper, and 2 bars of chrome)

300 = Lunite (silver, requires 3 bars of iridium, 1 bar of tungsten, 1 bar of silver, 1 bar of chrome, 1 bar of platinum, 1 bar of lead)

300 = Witch Iron (Most basic alloy of Adamantite, requires 1 bar of adamantite, 1 bar of cold iron, 1 bar of gold.)

325 = Octirion (bright orange, requires 1 bar of copper, 1 bar of gold, 1 bar of bismuth, 1 bar of cinnabar, 1 bar of cobalt, 1 bar of nickel, 1 bar of vanadium, 1 bar of chrome). Discworld inspired.

Merid (simply the best non-adamantium metal available, extremely difficult to make. Was invented by elves and dwarfs working together. Both vehemently deny the other species had anything to do with it, and generally blame it on the humans.)

333 = Merid (white, requires 1 bar of Rhodium, 1 bar of Ithildium, 1 bar of Orichalcum)

350 = Adamantium (same color as adamantite, Alloy of Adamantite, requires 3 bars of bronze, 1 bar of adamantite, 3 bars of cast iron, 1 bar of gold)

400 = Infernium (deep blue, alloy of Adamantite, requires 1 bar of cinnabar, 1 bar of adamantite, 3 bars of cast iron, 1 bar of red steel, 1 bar of blue steel, 1 bar of gold, 1 bar of arsenic)

450 Demondyne (dark purple, alloy of Adamantite, requires 1 bar of cinnabar, 3 bars of lead, 1 bar of adamantite, 3 bars of black bronze, 1 bar of arsenic)

500 = Hell Metal (crimson, alloy of Adamantite, requires 1 bar of cinnabar, 1 bar of uranium, 1 bar of adamantite, 1 bar of auricipridite, 1 bar of bismuth, 1 bar of tungsten, 3 bars of deep steel)

666 = Mountainheart (rose, alloy of Adamantite, requires 3 bars of adamantite, 3 bars of rose gold, 2 bars of deep steel, 1 bar of zeon.)

1000 = Deep Adamant (black, requires 1 bar of adamantite, only available for use in artifacts.)

The formulas for the various metals may have to be refined a bit, for balancing reasons, and so that they make some kind of sense, but this is generally what I have in mind.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2009, 11:48:06 pm by SirHoneyBadger »

socially_inept_butterfly

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes cows for their haunting moos
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2008, 11:17:29 pm »

Radium and Unununium should be added.
Seriously.
Urist Axebeard, Mayor, has banned the export of brains.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2008, 11:31:43 pm »

I actually considered adding radium and plutonium both :) but I don't think the horrifying radiation death can be modded in, and without that, it's just not the same  :-\

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2008, 11:38:42 pm »

Damascus Steel
It's quite lore-breaking... There's no Damascus in DF world. You could call it Wootz steel as well.
The best choice was done by Sean Mirrsen: he called it "Patterned steel" in his Mineral mod++, and it's correct.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2008, 12:13:13 am »

I'm trying to think of how beings like dwarves would even smelt stuff like Uranium in the first place. Then again, I actually know something about what smelting is, which is a boat some modders seem to have missed.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7