Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Inconceivable Forgotten Beast  (Read 3256 times)

Don57

• Bay Watcher
  • Commanding Fortresses Since 2010
    • View Profile
Inconceivable Forgotten Beast
« on: February 10, 2012, 11:06:39 am »

Yeah, I'm not sure how a four-legged creature can have six legs.

Anyone else come across any nonsensical FB descriptions?

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
Re: Inconceivable Forgotten Beast
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 11:13:09 am »

Yeah, it's because toady uses 'quadruped' to mean a beast that would normally have four legs.  It's sort of a 'generic four-legged beast that doesn't have a specific species' base.  Unfortunately, it does lend itself to this sort of thing.

As for me, looking in legends yesterday (I have bad Fortress ADD to begin with, made worse by the wait for the new update) I found a triceratops made of vomit, instead of the usual humanoid or blob I see.  I don't think it's nonsensical so much as weird.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 11:14:24 am »

See Sleipnir.
This is a very dorfy thread, and you WILL read it.

Urist McGyver

• Bay Watcher
  • I love Roc Birds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 11:34:08 am »

It's treated as completely normal because this is Dwarf Fortress.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with surrounding yourself with a wall of flames, only to later realize that you're surrounded by a wall of flames.
There's nothing that can't be solved by hurling fifteen roc birds at it.

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2012, 01:55:12 pm »

The way I look at it, is that it only uses 4 of its legs for walking.
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

Hotaru

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange foreigner fond of industry
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2012, 02:34:14 pm »

Well... I'm no English speaker. But doesn't quadruped mean "four feet"? And "leg" mean that part below the knee, but above ankle? So, maybe he just has six legs, but only four of those end in feet...
It is said knowledge is like a foul-smelling herb. It must be cooked well and thoroughly with experience to make it palatable. A young scholar's knowledge is therefore not only worthless but disgusting. -- In Dwarf Fortress you have another paradigm. Gather as much of that smelly herb as you can and toss it at your enemy, fracturing his skull through the +capybara man leather cap+.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2012, 02:40:36 pm »

Technically it is possible, there's a type of millipede which has four legs distending from each pair of legs.

Make sense?

No.

But nature is awesome like that.

Hotaru

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange foreigner fond of industry
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2012, 02:44:11 pm »

Technically it is possible, there's a type of millipede which has four legs distending from each pair of legs.

Make sense?

No.

But nature is awesome like that.

Huh. So maybe a six-legged quadruped might have one pair of legs and one pair of feet in the front, and two pairs of legs ending in one pair of feet in the back...

Also, I've long since wanted to mod in millipedemen who would have 998 weapon-wielding hands and 1 pair of walking legs, but it's still waiting implementation
It is said knowledge is like a foul-smelling herb. It must be cooked well and thoroughly with experience to make it palatable. A young scholar's knowledge is therefore not only worthless but disgusting. -- In Dwarf Fortress you have another paradigm. Gather as much of that smelly herb as you can and toss it at your enemy, fracturing his skull through the +capybara man leather cap+.

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2012, 02:44:50 pm »

Well... I'm no English speaker. But doesn't quadruped mean "four feet"? And "leg" mean that part below the knee, but above ankle? So, maybe he just has six legs, but only four of those end in feet...

You may have a point, though "leg" generally refers to everything from hip to foot.  If we take quadruped to mean "four feet," then we could have something like that bizarre four-armed lemur from Avatar, but in reverse.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also, ninja'd
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

Elf Lover

• Bay Watcher
  • AAA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2012, 04:02:51 pm »

Needs more deadly dust.
Every Dwarf Fortress Fort is a concentration camp, only without the nazis.

Malakai Makaisson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2012, 04:36:36 pm »

Perhaps it's some sort of creature, made of water, which would normally have only four legs but this has an extra two.