Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Public challenge (completed): Defend against these tigermen  (Read 8035 times)

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
Re: Public challenge (with reward!!): Defend against these tigermen
« Reply #45 on: February 02, 2012, 12:55:55 am »

Make sure that you are:
1) Taking advantage of the terrain. Use chokepoints to limit the amount of enemy soldiers who attack at once and protect your marksdwarves. Ensure that enemy marksmen don't have much time to loose volleys at melee. Sure, twenty enemy squads seems like a lot, but if you make them take a long way to reach you, often you can rout some groups before the rest get there, while increasing the amount of time your marksdwarves have to empty their quivers at them.
2) Effectively controlling your troops: letting a few soldiers charge out at once is a recipe for death. Never let your troops scatter and get surrounded if you can help it. Isolated troops are probably dead.
3) Training and concentrating elite troops: when the enemy are coming in such numbers, you cannot rely on quantity to defeat them. You need to concentrate your best warriors and tear apart the enemy squads as they reach your army, so that the rest of the enemy force loses morale, breaks, and flees
4) Using quality weapons, arming and armoring all your warriors, and using superior metals. Shield and weapon bonuses alone can dramatically increase survivability. The Fortress Defense Mod is designed to force you to use all the tools available at your disposal.

That said, don't forget that removing civs from Fortress Defense is an option if you think some of them are too hard; the Fortress Defense Mod only exists to provide you with what you consider Fun after all ;)

Unfortunately, guaranteeing war between civs is impossible; civs can be made to hate each other, but cannot be forced to go to war short of the workaround that Fortress Defense uses. The best that can be done is to make the ethics of two civs oppose each other diametrically, which is still far from certain to work, and a little complex when you're working with the number of civs in the Fortress Defense Mod.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 02, 2012, 01:14:30 am »

There's also nothing to prevent you from seperating the enemies:

Toward your fort
###D#####D###
#     #     #
#     #     #
#     #     #
#     #     #
#     #     #
###D#####D###
#     #     #
#     #     #
#     #     #
#     #     #
#     #     #
###B#####B###
Toward enemies

D: doors
B: Bridge.
1) Station your army in the top left room
2) Open the left bridge and let some enemies into bottom left room.
3) Close the left bridge, enter bottom left room and engage the enemy
4) Station your army in the top right room, have your haulers clean up the bottom left room.
5) Etc etc.
6) Victory
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

schismatise

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 02, 2012, 01:56:41 pm »

Only problem i have with fortress defense is that when im on my 14th siege and i get 6 squads of tigermen 8 squads of frogs a goblin ambush or 2 and the obvious elven ambush because who likes elves?

Anyway is there anyway to get some of the civs to fight each other. I dont use traps that often(no more then 12 in total) don't use danger rooms.  I mean everybody loves fun now and then, but i feel there should at least be a chance to win.  I had like 60 axedwarves with 6 lords and 20 marksdwarves and got rolled.

Try running your world gen a little longer - most Fortress Defense worlds i've played with any world gen longer than 5 years ends up with at least 2 or 3 wars, especially if you set the number of civs and sites high.

The other thing you could try doing is, as darkflagrance says, turn off some of the civs - or alternatively, if you want to keep the sieges coming often but not so much all at once, you could edit the entity_*.txt files and change some of the ACTIVE_SEASON tags so they don't overlap so much - so you'll get 6 squads of tigers in spring and Then the 4 squads of goblins in summer, for example.

schismatise

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 02, 2012, 01:57:21 pm »

There's also nothing to prevent you from seperating the enemies:

Toward your fort
###D#####D###
#     #     #
#     #     #
#     #     #
#     #     #
#     #     #
###D#####D###
#     #     #
#     #     #
#     #     #
#     #     #
#     #     #
###B#####B###
Toward enemies

D: doors
B: Bridge.
1) Station your army in the top left room
2) Open the left bridge and let some enemies into bottom left room.
3) Close the left bridge, enter bottom left room and engage the enemy
4) Station your army in the top right room, have your haulers clean up the bottom left room.
5) Etc etc.
6) Victory

Bridges are cheating ;)

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 03, 2012, 12:01:35 am »

Icecream and ketchup.
After consulting the rest of my family, we have decided to stick to meat. So make an another suggestion.

Bridges are cheating ;)
Pretty much everything that prevent a frontal charge can be considered cheating in that regard ;)
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

slowpokez

• Bay Watcher
  • B12's Department Head of Arts & Recreation
    • View Profile
    • Cloudsprite
« Reply #50 on: February 03, 2012, 02:40:24 pm »

Icecream and ketchup.
After consulting the rest of my family, we have decided to stick to meat. So make an another suggestion.
I would have loved to be there and see that discussion :D
How i picture it!
Rephikul-Can i give the cat icecream and ketchup?
Family-Wait what!? Why?
Rephikul-Someone from the internetz told me :D
Family-Epic discussion.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 03, 2012, 10:20:44 pm »

You are quite close, the epic discussion following was like this:
Me: Hey you think our cats can eat ketchup
Family: We doubt it, why?
Me: I lost a bet. They want me to feed them ketchup.
Family: What kind of retarded bet was that, that's ridiculous.
Me: Look, what would you prefer, cat food at stake or our bread at stake?
Family: Fine, we dont think our cats will eat ketchup anyway. Tell them to pick something else.

EDIT: I'd implement your creature next week. I still havent finished the animal revision.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 10:23:04 pm by rephikul »

Naros

• Bay Watcher
  • [COVETS_SPOONS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 03, 2012, 10:45:32 pm »

Bridges are cheating ;)
Pretty much everything that prevent a frontal charge can be considered cheating in that regard ;)
[/quote]

Except that Bridges are like a win button, with the game as it is.

Name Lips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 04, 2012, 02:03:44 am »

Dwarves dont need your traditional method cause they know how to make yeast grow on trees stones.

Hey, its your mod, not mine. Was just trying to be helpful. :P

(I actually had to scour 1600s cookbooks from project gutenburg to get the listed breadstarter. Pretty much every modern cookbook says "add active dry yeast" instead.)
All you had to do was a google search for "homemade sourdough starter."  :P

Nowadays, people think of natural yeast as a way of making "sourdough" bread, even though it frequently doesn't really taste sour once its cooked (depending on the species of yeast you have locally).
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]