Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Public challenge (completed): Defend against these tigermen  (Read 8211 times)

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
Re: Public challenge (with reward!!): Defend against these tigermen
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2012, 08:44:23 am »

I'd start on the fort now, but the dffd seems to be down. Oh well, I'll try in the morning.
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

slowpokez

• Bay Watcher
  • B12's Department Head of Arts & Recreation
    • View Profile
    • Cloudsprite
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2012, 09:41:57 am »

I'm busy today but if noone has completed it tomorrow i shall claim my price ;)

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2012, 03:30:21 pm »

I'm nearly done with the third year. Killed 21 tigermen so far. Troops are armed with iron armor and iron axes or copper bolts and crossbows.

The danger room workshop in Intensity is highly expensive and bugged (it requires 4 serrated disks in addition to fifty or more other items. It turns out that each serrated disc requires an excessive amount - something like fifty - of iron bars, possibly due to a bug, so I could not use it) and there are no training weapons. Instead, I trained my soldiers the way Toady One intended: pairs of teacher and student and sparring to high levels. One of my soldiers got all the way to Legendary Male Swordwarf simply from training and killing enemies.

The sieges also came strangely; the first siege was tigermen and frogmen, but the tigermen left without engaging my soldiers. Later sieges consisted of frogmen and stranglers. Finally, halfway through the third year, two squads of tigermen attacked me. I lured them into a long trap and sealed them in so that I could kill all of them.

My military consisted of several pairs of elite melee dwarves armed with iron, and marksdwarves armed with quality crossbows and copper bolts, which are the second-best kind.

I sculpted the terrain to my advantage, although in hindsight even my crude defenses were not necessary.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The maze layout I used here was designed primarily to separate the enemy soldiers into single file and prevent them from ever grouping up against my soldiers. They were also exposed to a short burst of fire from the marksdwarves for a small section of the maze. Most of the action took place when the enemy exited the maze in front of my troops while marksdwarves fired at them.

Here, you can see that the marksdwarf platform was connected directly to the barracks, just as the maze was. Enemies had a tendency to fall off the ledge into the pit below, where I had units waiting for them to kill them while they were stunned.

This is the top of the maze. You can just see the down-ramp where the enemy enters. A bridge was able to retract and seal this, not to protect my dwarves, but to trap enemies and ensure that they perished in the darkness.
I found adapting to the differences of the Intensity Mod more taxing than killing the Tigermen.

Edit:
Done
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 03:49:08 pm by darkflagrance »
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
Re: Do you think you can play as well (or better) the the creator of FD mod?
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2012, 03:45:23 pm »

Well, I'm fairly certain that this is the right embark ;p
And here's my embark profile. All my dwarves have no starting skills.
I'll post seasonal updates or something for you guys.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 04:21:56 pm by Crazy Cow »

slowpokez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Cloudsprite
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2012, 05:44:06 pm »

I'm nearly done with the third year. Killed 21 tigermen so far.
Does this mean it's over? :(

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
Re: Do you think you can play as well (or better) the the creator of FD mod?
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2012, 06:49:00 pm »

-snip-
Dwarves dont eat organ chops... those are dog chows.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2012, 07:40:26 pm »

Crap. This is what I get for waking up at 11AM.
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2012, 09:29:41 pm »

Crap. This is what I get for waking up at 11AM.
Dark's challenge has no award ;p
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Nan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2012, 09:37:14 pm »

For some reason I'm unable to generate the exact world as is shown. The generated world itself is the same, but the civilizations are not, I have "The Wheel of Prophecy" and "The Relic of Crevices" to choose from. This is using the prepackaged IM version and the given world gen, to eliminate any possible contamination. Anyway, there are tigermen in the world, so I guess I will proceed.

daggaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2012, 09:51:26 pm »

+ Survive the provided embark without reclaiming until year 3 or kill 10 tigermen using dwaves, whichever come later.

A better way to write this type of logic is "Survive the provided embark without reclaiming until at least year 3 and kill 10 tigermen."

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2012, 09:58:52 pm »

+ Survive the provided embark without reclaiming until year 3 or kill 10 tigermen using dwaves, whichever come later.

A better way to write this type of logic is "Survive the provided embark without reclaiming until at least year 3 and kill 10 tigermen."
That sounds like by year 3 you must have killed 10 tigermen.

slowpokez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Cloudsprite
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2012, 04:03:51 pm »

I finally did it!  :D
I've slaughtered by strange abaddons, I've been crushed by hordes of ogres, I've been massacred by unicorns and I've been forced to endure the pain of seeing my dwarves kill eachother because we didn't have any booze :'( Also alligators.

Proof. 8). +tactics Used 10meeledwarves in iron.10 marksdwarfs and 10 naked immigrants armed with excess weapons.
My "fort". Focused all on military so the rest of the fort suffered. :P
This guy and the marksdorfs did most of the killing. :)

Btw I have some questions about this mod...
How do i make alcohol? ??? I cant make it, I cant bring it with me on embark and I cant even buy it...
I dropped an abaddon in my well and after that all dwarves started sleeping alot ALOT more. Why?
I understand that the mod is supposed to simplify things but I personally thinks that if the dwarves can't increase their skills they lose alot of their induviduallity and you lose abit of the Df-feeling. I ended up giving all dwarves all labors because it didn't really seem to matter that much :( (sry if i'm being to critical, I'd say that apart for some flaws this is a really good mod :D)
P.S- There might be some typos in there ;D

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2012, 09:35:38 pm »

I finally did it!  :D
Great, please upload your save somewhere and I'd verify it (and take a look at your layout)

Also alligators.
Odd, I dont remember these guys capable of crossing into forests or shrublands

How do i make alcohol? ??? I cant make it, I cant bring it with me on embark and I cant even buy it...
You need to embark with/buy moldy stones (it's classified as powder). They are automatically processed for yeast by a plant processing dwarf at the kitchen, yielding 5 yeast pouches per stone bag. You need one pouch per brewing attempt, regardless of plant stack size. Ya I know it's convoluted and am trying to find a better solution.

I dropped an abaddon in my well and after that all dwarves started sleeping alot ALOT more. Why?
Abaddons make its enemies falling asleep so they can run away. On the other hand, that's pretty much the only thing they do to other creatures. Cant say the same about your bridges and doors.

I understand that the mod is supposed to simplify things but I personally thinks that if the dwarves can't increase their skills they lose alot of their induviduallity and you lose abit of the Df-feeling. I ended up giving all dwarves all labors because it didn't really seem to matter that much :( (sry if i'm being to critical, I'd say that apart for some flaws this is a really good mod :D)
There's a list of skills affinity here. From my point of view, skills dwarves cannot train are either stuff no one care about or stuff too difficult to balance against without. As a bonus, immigrants only bring interesting skills so I'd say, if anything, this create more personality. Speaking of personality: brokers, commanders, and every captains make mandates; hunchbacks make friends quickly and die of old age just as quick; it's quite rare to see a dwarf who enjoy helping others and just as rare one that doesnt mind nobles; and you definitely do not want an engraver who like purple snows. The last bit has happened to me before... that was a depressing fort. I'm sure that's enough stuff to consider about each and every dwarves.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 09:38:00 pm by rephikul »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2012, 01:09:53 am »

*edit!*
The following shpeel is here since you seem to be creating this mod yourself, and seem unaware of how to culture yeast. The information is not terribly easy to find, and very few if any people still produce and maintain a "bread sponge" for making bread everyday in this modern age. I have put it here for your convenience. Use, or ignore at your leasure.

The traditonal method of culturing yeast is to mix starch, flour, and water together into a watery slurry, then place it in a warm and dark place.

For instance, a simple bread starter can be created from 8oz of potato water (water that has had several freshly sliced potatoes washed in it) mixed with 1 tablespoon of flour.

When it starts to foam, it is stirred and divided, and used to make bread. The initial starter takes about 2 to 3 days. If at any time it smells rancid instead of fermented, discard and try again.

For alcohol, you allow it to ferment. (You want a different yeast for alcohol than you want for bread. The fermentation creates alcohol that kills the codeveloped bacteria and bread yeasts. The brewer's yeasts will survive up until 2% alcohol.) When it ferments, you filter, then use to innoculate decontaminated starter pots. The heat sterilized starter is innoculated with the alcoholic fermentations of the initial culture, and the disproportionate brewers yeast will take firm hold and outcompete the other yeasts.

Other sources of yeasts include berry skins, such as grapes.  The white blush on grapes is actually live yeast living on exuded sugars from the grape itself. Yeast also grows on several species of berry, including raspberries, and gooseberries. (This means that wines should not require a yeast culture. The fruit comes with one already, unless you are obscessive about washing it before juicing.)

You could harvest a kind of brewers yeast culture from a previously produced alcoholic beverage, such as a first stage bottle of wine. The yeast would have to be gently cultured to avoid having a nasty flavored brew though. (Wine yeast is different from cereal yeasts.)

Regardless, sourcing yeast from mouldy rocks is incorrect. :P

(Is kind of a bizzare freak for preserving old folk knowledge and lost arts.)
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 01:23:15 am by wierd »

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2012, 01:21:24 am »

Dwarves dont need your traditional method cause they know how to make yeast grow on trees stones.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4