Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: DF on Xbox360  (Read 7392 times)

Maxmurder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF on Xbox360
« Reply #45 on: January 31, 2012, 08:27:06 pm »

I loled when i saw this thread....
Playing df on xbox... what a larf!

And xbox has 512mb of ram...
The Sponge has become enraged!
Without a nervous system...
The only thing they can feel...
IS ANGER.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 31, 2012, 08:34:29 pm »

That is probably a much larger bottleneck than processor power on the XBox 360.  Of course, 99% of that is available to the game, unlike a PC, but it's still probably not enough for anything but the smallest of embarks.

And no demand paging, so when you run out of memery, that's that.  Or, well, I really doubt the hardware supports paging memory to disk.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 01, 2012, 05:17:34 am »

And there is another problem, the controls. How you would play DF on a Xbox controller?
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

klingon13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mongols are cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 01, 2012, 08:35:57 am »

Let's speculate: What about the next gen Xbox? (We'll call it the 720 for the sake of discussion). How well would that run, assuming that controls weren't an issue?
By creating a gobstopper that never loses its flavor he broke thermodynamics
Maybe it's parasitic. It never loses its flavor because you eventually die from having your nutrients stolen by it.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 01, 2012, 08:38:27 am »

Probably a fair bit better than a 360, but I suspect most of the improvements between the 360 and its successor will be graphical hardware improvements that DF won't benefit from at all.

The processor will be better, certainly, but it will probably end up with more cores moreso than architectural enhancements, which is again something that DF won't benefit from.  The new console will probably have a lot more RAM though, maybe 2GB or more.  That would help a lot.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

aepurniet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 01, 2012, 11:24:29 am »

can we kill this thread? it will never ever happen. ever. on the 720, the 1080, or the 1440. the irony of me posting is not lost on me.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 01, 2012, 02:07:09 pm »

can we kill this thread? it will never ever happen. ever. on the 720, the 1080, or the 1440. the irony of me posting is not lost on me.

All the op wanted was to run it on his xbox because the pc was laggy. Assuming his xbox is more powerful this is reasonable.
Sure a native port and so the market place part of his request is not going to happen but there is no reason he can't current run it on a modded box. In fact I'm fairly confident it would with the current version.

Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Maxmurder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 01, 2012, 03:34:33 pm »

Shure you could hack run it on an xbox. But even low spec pcs are more powerful than an xbox. So lag would likely be far worse. The xbox's "power" is an illusion, all games are set to low graphics settings so the system can actually handle it. Try running skyrim on an xbox and on a pc at mid graphics level you will se the difference immediatly.
The Sponge has become enraged!
Without a nervous system...
The only thing they can feel...
IS ANGER.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 02, 2012, 03:47:19 am »

Shure you could hack run it on an xbox. But even low spec pcs are more powerful than an xbox. So lag would likely be far worse. The xbox's "power" is an illusion, all games are set to low graphics settings so the system can actually handle it. Try running skyrim on an xbox and on a pc at mid graphics level you will se the difference immediatly.

Which is why I said assuming his xbox is more powerful :)
As long as his pc is older than his xbox there is a fair chance the xbox is better, otherwise it's unlikely.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]