Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: DF on Xbox360  (Read 7397 times)

Drago55577

• Bay Watcher
  • Я красивая девушка
    • View Profile
DF on Xbox360
« on: January 25, 2012, 10:31:14 pm »

DF is very good on PC, but it does get laggy sometimes and many people use an Xbox alot, so i thought this would be a good idea.

For mods, Toady (or someone he gives control of the xbox live marketplace additional content thingy?) could upload the mods up onto the Xbox live market place for free downloading (or atleast 1 MS point).

Updates would be automatic.

Graphics pack downloading may also be additional content (i think?).

please tell me what you think :D

Rip goat, more loli
I think I've been sigged more times as a result of my comments in this thread than I have in most of my other activity on these forums. 

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: DF on Xbox360
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 10:32:58 pm »

How in the seven hells would you play DF on a controller?!  :o
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 10:37:41 pm »

And what makes you think that a game that'l laggy on a pc will run better on an xbox?

Xbox os slow as hell.

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 10:47:05 pm »

Methinks the OP didn't think this one through :(.
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 11:05:39 pm »

Most of the power in modern consoles is devoted to processing advanced graphics, including mathematically complex filters, 3D shaders, and so on, to keep pace with the highly touted and ever-growing snowball known as "Next-Gen Graphics". Significantly less of their power is committed to other tasks, such as AI and pathfinding algorithms, etc., and developers of console games and game engines that use these extensively really have to fine-tune their algorithms for efficiency, and forgo a lot of more complex possibilities.

For Dwarf Fortress, which has next to no graphical requirements, almost all of the processing power used to run it is completely tied up in simulation algorithms. Additionally, the controls (though with enough effort they could be redesigned for consoles) currently require just about every key on the keyboard to use.

Long story short, Dwarf Fortress is completely antithetical to Consoles, their User-Input devices, and their general design philosophies.

Drago55577

• Bay Watcher
  • Я красивая девушка
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2012, 11:16:05 pm »

i thought xboxes were just fast :o.

umm thanks for the fast responses.

discussion ends here. unless you wanna discuss more.

Rip goat, more loli
I think I've been sigged more times as a result of my comments in this thread than I have in most of my other activity on these forums. 

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 11:20:31 pm »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2012, 12:51:12 am »

A DF Lite version for consoles would be kinda good for when I'm unable to use my computer to satisfy the cravings, though. :P But then it wouldn't really be DF, would it now?
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2012, 02:18:11 pm »

Terrible, terrible damage.

He he, kidding, but seriously the keyboard controls would make your average xbox player raeghe.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2012, 02:35:33 pm »

Now, what would be pretty amazing is if Toady magically found a way to parallelize DF so that its update steps (or just pathfinding, if it's really the bottleneck) could be run on a graphics card.  Then it might be almost practical to do something like this.

Of course, parallelizing DF on a general purpose CPU is tough enough, and in my experience getting even simple graph search algorithms working on a GPU faster than a CPU is harder than it has any right to be.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2012, 02:58:41 pm »

an xbox 360 is not all that good vs a pc yes it has a fair bit of power in its 3.2ghz cpu,
but that is a 3 core job so it can only use one for df.
like wises its ram is just too small.

Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2012, 08:13:32 pm »

an xbox 360 is not all that good vs a pc yes it has a fair bit of power in its 3.2ghz cpu,
but that is a 3 core job so it can only use one for df.

3.2GHz's nothing to sneeze at. I ran successful long-lived forts on 2.4GHz.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.

Xyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2012, 12:07:41 am »

I dunno, couldn't some different coding be used to make the graphics processing hardware be used to process the physics, ai, and other stuff that is very cpu intensive? I know there are CUDA capable video cards that process work units as well as graphics, I guess it depends on whether a console could do the same thing, and whether all the programming would be worth the effort.  Of course, multiple-core support would be good too, since a lot of processors are no longer going for raw speed but rather multiple cores for better over-all speed running lots of stuff.

ALSO,  the 360 has 3(4 maybe?) USB ports,  you can plug a keyboard into the darn thing, so you wouldn't need to use a controller

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2012, 06:07:49 am »

you can plug a keyboard into the darn thing, so you wouldn't need to use a controller

That's true, but why wouldn't you just play it on the computer in the first place? Toady would have to do a hell of a lot of coding (simply adding in multi-core support would require a rewrite of the entire code), and i'd much rather that he spends his time getting the PC version updated instead of splitting his time between the PC version and the console version which would take as long to get optimized for consoles and up to the current version as it would take for DF to get to version 1.0 on the PC, especially with only half the work being done at a time.

Bottom line, at best we'd have a poor man's DF on consoles, and that's really not worth it.

sockless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2012, 07:14:05 am »

What we need to do is get someone who has *nix/Windows on an ek bok 360 and get them to play DF and then see how that would work out.

My current CPU is something in the realm of 3 GHz, but frequency isn't everything in a processor, which is why my CPU does better than many that have the same frequency.
Iv seen people who haven't had a redheaded person in their family for quite a while, and then out of nowhere two out of three of their children have red hair.
What color was the mailman's hair?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4