Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Longest Lasting Dwarf Fortress (?)  (Read 15019 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Longest Lasting Dwarf Fortress (?)
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2012, 04:50:14 pm »

It's obvious we must create a fortress that lasts a thousand years.
Well, there is a succession world that has a good chance of lasting that long.

The individual fortresses are no doubt going to become adventurer death traps, however.

not intentionally!
wait, yes, intntionally

Probably both, by accident.

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2012, 10:28:37 pm »

How are you guys getting yours to last 50 years? Mine always slow to a crawl within twenty or so.

SRD

• Bay Watcher
  • Who the hell do you think I think you are?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2012, 01:54:12 am »

The individual fortresses are no doubt going to become adventurer death traps, however.

not intentionally!
wait, yes, intntionally

Project armok?
Quote from: LoneTophat
EDIT: HOW DO I STOP THE BLEEDING!
SUPEREDIT: Nevermind. Bled to death ._.

Elifre

• Bay Watcher
  • Elifre mutters "Project A.R.M.O.K. needs dorfs..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2012, 03:28:19 am »

not intentionally!
wait, yes, intntionally

Project armok?
You mean Project A.R.M.O.K.? :P
All hail the mighty Project A.R.M.O.K.!
Applejack is the worst pony, Loud Whispers.
Quote from: Elifre
Fear the mighty lungfish!
DEAR ARMOK THE TURKEYS ARE HATCHING!
There is no problem that cannot be solved with the liberal application of magma.
FOR !!SCIENCE!!

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2012, 05:16:42 am »

There are a bunch of ways to reduce item clutter though like with worn clothing.
It's sort of a plus on that aspect that dorfs right now don't claim new clothing on their own(although I remember one guy reporting that happening haphazardly, with the dorfs even putting on the clothes, no idea how that happened since it never has for me in 2012 except with army outfit orders for civilians to wear clothing).

For trade goods you could always just crank out some metal goods, they're a lot more valuable most of the time than rock crafts, unless you have a spiffy decoration business going on but that'd work even better on metal crafts. A dozen gold goblets is worth a lot in crappy -basalt toy boats- and so on.

There are utilities too for mass destruction on crap items, worn clothing, stone and so on. Traffic assignments work somewhat too to save your FPS and burrow designations make it easy to keep everyone in one area, you just have to deal with clutter outside the burrows then, like forbid/destroy them.

Temp calculations eat a lot of FPS too, which is sad because magma deathtraps require temp to work like intended. At least dumping stuff in volcanoes/magma sea removes the crap permanently.

However, there's one thing that'll keep piling up on its own no matter what you do and it's the list of dead critters that have been killed in your fort area. Does that cause any FPS drain though? It makes a looong list sooner or later but yeah.

I figure it's possible to have a fort that's 1k years old if you have a good enough computer to handle all the traffic, I had a fort of 30 years with 200 dorfs going at 25 FPS or so, not nearly enough in years to compare to a 1k year fort but still, it's possible that keeping a pop cap of 100 would help a lot on FPS too.

The only problems I can see with a 1k year fort in 2012 is that unless you have some way to dispose of all the nastier FB's and titans that visit without pools of deadly blood that rot ALL BODY PARTS INSTANTLY and so on, you're going to have a lot of 'em wandering about the sealed parts of the map. They act like normal creatures too at that point and just mill about so I've never seen FPS being impacted by their presence.

Breaching the tube though kills your FPS no matter how big/small your fort is. I wish that mechanism would get changed a bit, it's tiring whenever it happens, planned or not.

Anyway, for a 1k year fort experiment I'd go with a 2x2 embark, the smaller the embark is the better FPS you'll have. You'll have to build everything pretty compact though and accept that megaprojects would probably add to the FPS drain. The only thing I can think of that wouldn't cause FPS drain permanently would be obsidian-casting a tower, hollowing it out and dumping all the excess obsidian. The walls wouldn't be built then but sort of natural and I don't think the game freaks out and starts tracking 'em in that case, unlike with built walls the game tracks the boulders used to build 'em. I think.

Not really sure how built floors and walls impact calculations either. The 30 year old fort I had had thousands of floor and wall pieces, small huts for the lesser castes of dorfs in the cavern floors with large parts of the cavern sealed off for the dorf city underground. It MIGHT have been better for the FPS to carve housing on the stone pillars, but ehh. Another possibility, using an utility to make obsidian blocks large enough to house a dorf.

As far as food clutter goes, the prime option would be to use potash on fields to maximize crop output, a stack of 10 plump helmets is better than 5 stacks of 2 plump helmets as far as tracking goes. Same goes for meat, huge piles of it cause less tracking than multiple small stacks, and dorfs just go and grab from that one huge pile then unlike with barrels where they keep drinking from one while others have to wait for a free barrel.

Unless you give everyone flasks or leather skins. They're instant thirst-quellers as far as I've noticed.
Pages: 1 [2]