Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Blood, it just doesn't go away  (Read 1745 times)

CaptainBadwheel

• Bay Watcher
  • Either a Doomsday Device or an Ice Cream maker.
    • View Profile
Blood, it just doesn't go away
« on: January 25, 2012, 01:37:36 am »

So in the next version of this wonderful addiction there will be occasional rains of blood in evil areas. I wonder how much difference that will actually make, because it already seems to do that in every area I've set up in. Well right after the first siege hits my weapons traps, or after they tangle it up with my battledorfs, or after the Mayor stubs his toe and bleeds all the way to the clinic. Someone walks through a trail of it and its suddenly in my well, in the river, in my theraputic carp pond. I see trails of blood from the current siege crossing the ones from the siege 5 years and an age ago. Childeren coated in nothing but layers upon layers of Stozu, Urist, cat, and Cutebold blood. A list of injuries and conflicts splattred on the walls in glorious red and blue.
I guess the point is, considering how persistant blood is now, what is going to happen when it starts falling out of the sky? Is the blood spreading going to be fixed or toned down somehow? It monsoons regularly in my current fortress and it just will not go away.

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
Re: Blood, it just doesn't go away
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 01:40:44 am »

DFhack Clean map cleans up blood, vomit etc etc. Without using it...FPS may eventually start getting buggered. Unless it eventually decays
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

CaptainBadwheel

• Bay Watcher
  • Either a Doomsday Device or an Ice Cream maker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 02:03:38 am »

Whoa, that even got rid of all the broken arrows. Never used this function of DFhack before, not sure how I feel about his.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 03:01:21 am »

My dwarves clean up too much blood. I want the arena to have a nice coat of blood for the color but they keep swabbing it up.

Outside, rain or freezing/cold temperatures always seem to clean blood on the ground in my forts.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 03:04:07 am »

Whoa, that even got rid of all the broken arrows. Never used this function of DFhack before, not sure how I feel about his.

Yer welcome
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2012, 05:24:50 am »

I usually use dfhack to clean blood, since the spreading is a bit bugged, so you can end up with everyone literally spreading blood everywhere. Also, it never seems to rain on my map (warm, moist tropical broadleaf forest)
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

MagmaSolutionsInc

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes elves for their screaming, bubbling noises.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 06:39:10 am »

I used to use DFHack, but then I took a ...

No, sorry. Can't do it. DFHack is awesome. I also use it to dump stone into a pile since it takes an eternity to haul to dump.
stopped zombie cats from adopting dwarves

... with magma.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2012, 08:56:26 am »

That actually does raise a question about raining blood, if the blood rain behaves like regular rain then it's not a problem but outside messes sit there forever until you use hax.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2012, 09:56:36 am »

that is probably one of the things that will be adressed in the new version
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2012, 11:42:53 am »

There is a setting in d_init.txt that can turn on or off blood spreading everywhere.

[WALKING_SPREADS_SPATTER_DWF:NO]

It's a toggle though, so if you want some blood to get tracked around, like say only outside, you're kind of SOL.  I prefer "NO" though, since you will still get blood splats where appropriate, but it won't get tracked everywhere.
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0