Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Problem. Blank screen (Linux)  (Read 4040 times)

thewonderidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Problem. Blank screen (Linux)
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2012, 12:33:10 am »

I'm running a current version of Gentoo (which I believe Archlinux is derived from), and I am not having any problems.  To get things working for me I had to make sure I had the 32bit library files for SDL installed, however, so my suggestion is to start there.  Reinstall SDL (specifying 32bit if needed) and see if that makes any difference.

You might also want to check the log file for X (in my case its /var/log/Xorg.0.log).  Sometimes it displays error messages that help determine why a particular window is blank, even when the terminal you started the app from doesn't list any error messages.

Nah, Arch and Gentoo are two very different beasts. I don't think they have anything to do with each other. AFAIK the only popular distro derived from Gentoo is Sabayon. I've got all of the 32-bit libs installed, and reinstalled all of them after it started happening just to be sure. Haven't looked into the X log file yet, that's a good idea, I'll take a peak into it on Monday when I get access to that computer again.

EDIT: Moreover, this might be confined to Arch 64. Anybody with pure 32-bit Arch have the same issue? (Also, by the way, I'm using the official nVidia drivers, so if the Intel drivers also have the issue, I don't think video card drivers are the issue).
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 12:37:22 am by thewonderidiot »

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2012, 12:56:42 am »

I'm running a current version of Gentoo (which I believe Archlinux is derived from), and I am not having any problems.  To get things working for me I had to make sure I had the 32bit library files for SDL installed, however, so my suggestion is to start there.  Reinstall SDL (specifying 32bit if needed) and see if that makes any difference.

You might also want to check the log file for X (in my case its /var/log/Xorg.0.log).  Sometimes it displays error messages that help determine why a particular window is blank, even when the terminal you started the app from doesn't list any error messages.

Nah, Arch and Gentoo are two very different beasts. I don't think they have anything to do with each other. AFAIK the only popular distro derived from Gentoo is Sabayon. I've got all of the 32-bit libs installed, and reinstalled all of them after it started happening just to be sure. Haven't looked into the X log file yet, that's a good idea, I'll take a peak into it on Monday when I get access to that computer again.
Ah, okay.  When I was googling for X/xorg-driver fixes (updated, and needed to recompile some of the drivers) I kept getting Archlinux hits that fit my problem and the steps/questions implied a very close similarity between the two flavors of linux. ;)

EDIT: Moreover, this might be confined to Arch 64. Anybody with pure 32-bit Arch have the same issue? (Also, by the way, I'm using the official nVidia drivers, so if the Intel drivers also have the issue, I don't think video card drivers are the issue).
I'm also using nVidia drivers (290.10), so I don't think thats the issue though it is still possible.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

thewonderidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2012, 01:19:13 am »

Ah, okay.  When I was googling for X/xorg-driver fixes (updated, and needed to recompile some of the drivers) I kept getting Archlinux hits that fit my problem and the steps/questions implied a very close similarity between the two flavors of linux. ;)

I'm also using nVidia drivers (290.10), so I don't think thats the issue though it is still possible.

Well, to be fair, Arch and Gentoo are similar in that they both give the user a large amount of control over the system, and mostly deal directly with config files rather than any sort of utilities, so a lot of ideas carry over well. I only recently switched from Gentoo to Arch, and still found myself pretty much at home right away. ;)

Do you really think (what I would assume to be) an SDL problem like this would get reported in an X log?

(Also, I said a 'issue' a lot of times in that edit. I need to expand my vocabulary, or proofread what I write  :-\)

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2012, 01:39:47 am »

Not sure if its SDL or not.  I just know the X log can list useful messages even when other stuff doesn't.  I think the only other thing I had to make sure was installed was either upgrading or getting 32bit libs for readline installed.  Its been quite a while, however, so I don't remember for sure.

If I can find the time to get X working on the new system (nVidia driver/KMS issue corrupting video when/just after xdm starts) I'll have to go through the steps again, so I could note them.  Its not worth anyone using this thread now for fix ideas waiting on that, however.  I've no idea how long until I'll have the time.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

chuck

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2012, 01:48:34 pm »

Ignatius881 and chuck, could you post which graphics cards and drivers you are using?

If its broken for you, post up what driver you are using and what kind of graphics card you have.  If it works for you in Arch 64 bit, do the same, along with the last time you did an update.

I've got an ATI graphics card, on my Arch-64 system:

pacman -Q | grep ati
ati-dri 7.11.2-1
lib32-ati-dri 7.11.2-2
xf86-video-ati 6.14.3-1

I suspect it might be SDL. In particular, lib32-sdl_image and lib32-sdl_ttf were upgraded in the repos on Jan 18. This is suspiciously close to the time that it stopped working for me. I'm going to try downgrading the two packages and see if that fixes it.

chuck

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2012, 01:50:52 pm »

Success! Downgrading lib32-sdl_image to version 1.2.10-3 and lib32-sdl_ttf to version 2.0.10-3 fixed it.

I don't know what the actual bug is, but this is a pretty good temporary solution...

EDIT: the latest upgrade to sdl 1.2.15-1 fixes the problem too. No need to downgrade the above packages.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 06:27:14 pm by chuck »
Pages: 1 [2]