Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Problem. Blank screen (Linux)  (Read 4034 times)

Ignatius881

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
Problem. Blank screen (Linux)
« on: January 20, 2012, 07:30:50 am »

Hello.

I don't know where to put this problem, because it didn't occur before, only today. I don't think that it's a bug, but...

Well, my problem is that, when I start Dwarf Fortress, instead of appearing the introductory video and the menu, etc., the window is absolutely blank. I can hear sounds and select the menu options (somehow), but I can't see anything.

This is a screenshot:

At this point, the main menu should be there.

Yesterday the game worked well, and the day before, and so on, but I don't know why not today. I didn't change anything and I didn't do anything. I'm using Arch Linux 64-bit.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 09:28:16 am by Ignatius881 »

Monkeyfacedprickleback

• Bay Watcher
  • Sweet flaming monkey fire WHY are they doing that?
    • View Profile
Re: Problem. Blank screen
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 07:45:25 am »

Alright, Let's get the basic "You should have done this before writing this" IT questions done.
Have you quit and restarted DF?
Have you tried turning your computer OFF and then ON again?
Have you Installed any new software/Hardware since Before it stopped working, especially Software relating to DF?

Once we Have the details on this We'll Know that either you're screwed or that we can help.

Ignatius881

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 07:55:12 am »

Have you quit and restarted DF?

About three or four times.

Have you tried turning your computer OFF and then ON again?

Yes, twice.

Have you Installed any new software/Hardware since Before it stopped working, especially Software relating to DF?

No, I just updated my system. Even I uninstalled and reinstalled Dwarf Fortress three times, and nothing.

tivec

• Bay Watcher
  • !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 08:58:40 am »

No, I just updated my system.

There's probably the error. You're running a linux system, I take it? Would you mind doing:
ldd dwarffortress
and copy the output to the forums? I am guessing one of the libraries got updated and are not properly linked or working as intended.

-Tiv
Urist McDoctor recommends a healthy magma bath to minimize the risk for infection.

In one fort I had war elephants riding camels into battle. I can imagine the war elephants taming them simply by picking them up and dropping them in a coral. I still don't understand how you can fit a few ton elephant onto camel though.

Check out my Let's Play on my Youtube channel: www.youtube.com/thetivec

Ignatius881

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 09:10:47 am »

ldd: ./dwarffortress: No existe el fichero o el directorio

That is: Doesn't exist the file or the directory (more or less).

But I think that that directory didn't exist yesterday either and I could play...

Monkeyfacedprickleback

• Bay Watcher
  • Sweet flaming monkey fire WHY are they doing that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2012, 09:16:01 am »

I use windows so i'll be no further help, since I know nothing about Linux. But I do wish you the best of luck and hope someone can help you. Oh and you may want to edit the title of the first post to say you're running a linux. It'll attract more people who can help you.

tivec

• Bay Watcher
  • !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
Re: Problem. Blank screen (Linux)
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2012, 10:16:42 am »

ldd: ./dwarffortress: No existe el fichero o el directorio

That is: Doesn't exist the file or the directory (more or less).

But I think that that directory didn't exist yesterday either and I could play...

You're going to have to find the binary for dwarffortress. It's probably not in your home directory. Try whereis dwarffortress and use the full path entry in the ldd command (such as ldd /usr/bin/dwarffortress, if that's where it was found).

Urist McDoctor recommends a healthy magma bath to minimize the risk for infection.

In one fort I had war elephants riding camels into battle. I can imagine the war elephants taming them simply by picking them up and dropping them in a coral. I still don't understand how you can fit a few ton elephant onto camel though.

Ignatius881

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2012, 10:19:37 am »

It says: It is not a dynamic executable.

Miuramir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2012, 10:27:27 am »

Well, my problem is that, when I start Dwarf Fortress, instead of appearing the introductory video and the menu, etc., the window is absolutely blank. I can hear sounds and select the menu options (somehow), but I can't see anything.

Yesterday the game worked well, and the day before, and so on, but I don't know why not today. I didn't change anything and I didn't do anything. I'm using Arch Linux 64-bit.

No, I just updated my system. Even I uninstalled and reinstalled Dwarf Fortress three times, and nothing.

The bold statements are contradictory; if you've updated your system, that most certainly is changing all sorts of things.  I'm not a DF on Linux expert, but if you have indeed updated your system, some of the most common issues to look out for:

* 32-bit drivers.  Many 64-bit Linux distributions don't install a full set of 32-bit libraries, which DF needs to run.  Depending on version, automatic dependency checkers may not correctly find them either. 

* OpenGL graphics drivers.  Some distributions have gotten pickier about not including manufacturer-specific drivers; you may need to load them manually, or even specially allow "non free" versions and then load manually.  Given your symptoms, this seems particularly likely.

* Rendering to the wrong window and other X weirdness.  Do you have, or have you had recently, multiple monitors, remote desktop connections, a projector, or any other situation where DF might be trying to render to the wrong window/device/location? 

* DF print modes.  Try using different print modes in DF; it could be that you had a required change in DF settings that got overwritten, or system changes have changed what you need.  Console mode under Linux *may* bypass certain things and get you a display when others don't work, which is at least a starting point for further troubleshooting.  In any case letting us know what mode you are running DF in is probably necessary for any more detailed troubleshooting. 

Ignatius881

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2012, 10:31:56 am »

The bold statements are contradictory; if you've updated your system, that most certainly is changing all sorts of things.  I'm not a DF on Linux expert, but if you have indeed updated your system, some of the most common issues to look out for:

* 32-bit drivers.  Many 64-bit Linux distributions don't install a full set of 32-bit libraries, which DF needs to run.  Depending on version, automatic dependency checkers may not correctly find them either. 

* OpenGL graphics drivers.  Some distributions have gotten pickier about not including manufacturer-specific drivers; you may need to load them manually, or even specially allow "non free" versions and then load manually.  Given your symptoms, this seems particularly likely.

* Rendering to the wrong window and other X weirdness.  Do you have, or have you had recently, multiple monitors, remote desktop connections, a projector, or any other situation where DF might be trying to render to the wrong window/device/location? 

* DF print modes.  Try using different print modes in DF; it could be that you had a required change in DF settings that got overwritten, or system changes have changed what you need.  Console mode under Linux *may* bypass certain things and get you a display when others don't work, which is at least a starting point for further troubleshooting.  In any case letting us know what mode you are running DF in is probably necessary for any more detailed troubleshooting.

When I installed Dwarf Fortress (a week ago), all 32-bit libraries where installed, and they still are installed today. About OpenGL, I don't know, but I haven't problems with other games like GZdoom or ToME. About the rendering, no, I don't have multiple monitors or remote desktop or projector. And about DF print modes, I've tried to change 2D to TEXT, and it works. Of course it's not the same thing, but it works well in text-mode (with a terminal window) instead of using another window, you know :)

tivec

• Bay Watcher
  • !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2012, 10:41:54 am »

<snip>

What he said, really - OpenGL as well as the 32 bit drivers could be the culprit. If you run Ubuntu, you can install the ia32-libs I believe, but it's distribution-specific :)

chuck

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2012, 08:47:18 pm »

I am having the same problem. I haven't as of yet found a solution. As a workaround, I've been setting PRINT_MODE=TEXT in init.txt. It renders the game to the terminal using ncurses.

In case it's relevant, I'm running Archlinux 64-bit, with all the necessary lib32 packages installed. I suspect something broke last time I updated my system.

ldd Dwarf_Fortress (found in df_linux/libs) doesn't reveal anything, I'm not missing any libraries as far as I can tell.

Pierre Monteux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2012, 09:59:57 pm »

Ignatius881 and chuck, could you post which graphics cards and drivers you are using?  Since you're both using arch 64, it might just be a paticular driver is partially broken.

I just installed dwarf fortress on my arch system, with the same results, black dwarf fortress screen.  Waiting for a couple minutes then hitting the up arrow and enter properly quit, so I know it was working underneath.

I have an intel HD graphics card (laptop) and the following driver.

pacman -Q | grep intel
intel-dri 7.11.2-1
lib32-intel-dri 7.11.2-2
xf86-video-intel 2.17.0-2

(If you have a different video card vender, replace intel with the vendor for the current installed driver.  If you have ati I would try both ati and catalyst.).

The first line and the third line were the graphics components that installed when I installed the driver.  I had to manually install lib32-intel-dri for 32 bit graphics support.  Installing dwarf fortress does not pull in the 32 bit libs.  When I installed dwarffortress pacman stated

"optional depenencies for dwarf fortress
lib32-nvidia-utils for nvidia graphics
lib32-catalyst-utils for ati graphics"

This is the only warning that you need to install the 32 bit libs for your graphics card on your own.

However it still isn't working for me. 

TLDR:  Broken with intel graphics drivers.  Never checked if it worked before.  If its broken for you, post up what driver you are using and what kind of graphics card you have.  If it works for you in Arch 64 bit, do the same, along with the last time you did an update. 
I've had Dorf's wh ohave pulled a Monty Python's Black Knight. They've had limbs chopped off and just keep coming. Although most of those are my patented "Spartan Dwarfs."
except in DF, the "I'll bit your legs off" threat is serious.

thewonderidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2012, 10:11:22 pm »

This also started happening in my Arch install after a recent update. Not sure which package caused it though. Is anybody having this problem that's NOT on Arch?

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2012, 12:16:32 am »

I'm running a current version of Gentoo (which I believe Archlinux is derived from), and I am not having any problems.  To get things working for me I had to make sure I had the 32bit library files for SDL installed, however, so my suggestion is to start there.  Reinstall SDL (specifying 32bit if needed) and see if that makes any difference.

You might also want to check the log file for X (in my case its /var/log/Xorg.0.log).  Sometimes it displays error messages that help determine why a particular window is blank, even when the terminal you started the app from doesn't list any error messages.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"
Pages: [1] 2