Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Some help with pastures.  (Read 874 times)

killerx243

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Some help with pastures.
« on: December 31, 2011, 02:56:12 pm »

So I am attempting to create a "safe" pasture and have run into some issues. There is a huge area just beside where I am planning to have my fortress that needs little to none terraforming so the plan is to put a wall around it having a double door thing going into the mountain and backing that up with a bridge to block the area during an attack. So anyways the walls are not built, and I tell my dwarves to put the horses my wagon came with in the pasture and I get: Urist McCantWalkHorses canceled job: Pit/Pond Large Creature: Innapropriate Building... Any insight as to how I can make an open field with a cliff on one side less inappropriate?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Some help with pastures.
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2011, 03:00:28 pm »

Did you create a Pasture, or a Pit/Pond zone?
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

killerx243

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2011, 03:04:56 pm »

How did I not see that... Thank you so much... And to think my last fort had all my grazers starve to death because I failed at reading on the same line... I feel really dumb now  :-[

OMGTANGERINES

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2011, 03:23:27 pm »

Make sure you don't accidentally pasture caged goblins. >.>
We were hoping for a constant fort at some point, having players in different time zones so that the fort never actually stopped running.  Come back overnight and find a giant penis has been constructed.  Glory to the penis gods.

killerx243

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2011, 03:40:38 pm »

I'd only pasture them with a couple of big grizzly bears ;)... Anyways I could actually use some more advice, I've moved on to a new fort (not enough dirt inside for farms on my last one) and need to know can I move animals up stairs or do I need to make ramps for them?

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2011, 05:52:43 pm »

You dont need ramps to move about animals, you also don't need dirt--any old soil layer will do.  Finally if you open a cavern all dirt in your fort will be seeded with cavern moss and mushrooms and slowly develop, making indoor pastures and artificial groves in  the first couple of clay and earth levels possible
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?