Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Armour Skill V Dodging  (Read 1858 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Armour Skill V Dodging
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2012, 01:58:46 am »

Always wondered how you raise "bite" up to legendary in fortress mode. If you have your dwarfs unarmed eventully they will only use their hands in combat negating other skills suck as kicking and biting. Suppose i could modify the raws to make them just as likely to bite as to punch

...Considered just having your Dwarves in actual combat? Dwarves tend to start biting, kicking and scratching when their weapons are lodged in skulls.

Jenniretta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2012, 02:51:58 am »

Always wondered how you raise "bite" up to legendary in fortress mode. If you have your dwarfs unarmed eventully they will only use their hands in combat negating other skills suck as kicking and biting. Suppose i could modify the raws to make them just as likely to bite as to punch

...Considered just having your Dwarves in actual combat? Dwarves tend to start biting, kicking and scratching when their weapons are lodged in skulls.

My dwarves tend to punch when weapons are lodged, if they're trained a bit (untrained dwarves will bite and scratch a lot), but if you want to train biting have them drop a limb or two (eg. send them into a siege with breastplates and no chain mail), the fewer arms they have the more likely they are to bite it seems. Though, personally, I'd rather my dwarves have their limbs available.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2012, 02:58:06 am »

Bah, let nature run its course, the skilled and equipped will survive, the dismembered will bite and the useless will die. It all works out :P

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2012, 03:29:45 am »

If you get an armless dwarf to bite a few times, Runesmith them up to some decent skill level, then make them a militia commander, will they lead a Biting Demonstration?

Nan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2012, 03:38:23 am »

Yah, you can also embark with a biter/teacher to teach the other military how to bite. This is a colossal waste of embark points and military training time, but you can do it if you like.

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2012, 05:03:17 am »

nah dude.
long lasting military is ALL about shield user. No accidentally dodging off cliffs and whatnot.
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2012, 05:07:04 am »

Solution: don't fight near water.

Or precarious ledges.

Or bridges.

Or stairs.

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2012, 05:28:02 am »

I've recently taken to embarking with 3 military dwarves, each with embark maximum teaching skill (proficient? Not looking at it right this second), and giving each a different maxed skill, axedwarf, fighting and dodging, generally.

Once I get some useful migrants, I break them up into three squads, each headed with, generally speaking, a dwarf with good axe, fighting, and dodging skills. I've been cleaning up with this set-up on my latest fortress, even though I have nothing but Galena for metals on map. I was up to five separate axelords by year 4. Normally, I don't get those for a while, and not many at that.

Lost one of my embark militia dwarves though last year. That was a bit of a blow.

Mechatronic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2012, 06:09:33 am »

The best Biter I've trained up was Talented which took about seven years, although I wasn't specifically training for it, it as just from fighting and demonstrations.

I find Shield User to be the most useful against archers while Dodging is most useful against large creatures that can knock soldiers over.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2012, 06:26:56 am »

Weapon skills are the most useful against archers.  Well, maybe not, but nothing beats a good "He bats the flying {silver arrow} out of the air with his +Steel Battle Axe+"

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2012, 08:20:17 am »

So..legendary biter would...?

Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2012, 10:13:48 am »

So..legendary biter would...?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Exactly my thoughts.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o
Pages: 1 [2]