Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Armour Skill V Dodging  (Read 1860 times)

Nerserus

• Bay Watcher
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
Armour Skill V Dodging
« on: December 31, 2011, 07:21:18 am »

Recently I lost a legendary armour skill unit to a small skirmish squad, whilst the talented dodger companion survived for about ten times longer, even when knocked to the ground several times.

I've also noted that I always pick high dodging with adventurers; I've never seen my armour deflect much more than a punch or two, dodging has always saved my life a hundred more times than armour skill ever has.

I'm curious though, has anyone here ever saw a time where armour skill did better than dodging, or do you guys believe its worthless like I do?
stack of 10 prepared dragonfly brains - I'm trying to imagine what's more funny: a dwarf popping a tiny dragonfly brain into his mouth for a snack, the butcher who actually prepared this feast, or the brave hunter who ventured out into the wilderness and returned with this bounty.

Dishwater

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: Armour Skill V Dodging
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2011, 07:28:36 am »

Armour User skill determines how much armour slows you down not how well it protects you
if its dabbling armour slows you down a lot matters how much you wear but if its legendary
it weights nothing.

Dodge skill is how well you jump from attacks.So they are almost opposites really

Nerserus

• Bay Watcher
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2011, 07:45:04 am »

Huh, really? I never knew. I assumed it effected it because of other games like Elder Scrolls effecting defense with "Armour Skill" as much as that doesn't really make sense.
stack of 10 prepared dragonfly brains - I'm trying to imagine what's more funny: a dwarf popping a tiny dragonfly brain into his mouth for a snack, the butcher who actually prepared this feast, or the brave hunter who ventured out into the wilderness and returned with this bounty.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2011, 08:31:15 am »

Believe it or not having a high armour skill is really only good for offense since your dwarf moves faster he can attack more often, ironically weapons skills are some of the best for defense since you'll get more parries.

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2011, 08:52:09 am »

However, armor-user skill will never send you sailing off a bridge into the river/spike pit in a fit of voluntary retarded dodging.
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2011, 09:17:09 am »

Armour: Ability to be useful in combat effectively and otherwise turn away blows that land

Dodgy: Fucker don't know about my ninja skills. Can't hit whats already moved!
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2011, 10:15:38 am »

Legendary weapon skill - hitting arrows out of the air.
Legendary armour user - Is this made out of lead? Barely noticed.
Legendary dodger - Matrix... Into the magma.
Legendary biter - OH GOD THE TEETH THE TEETH HAVE TENTACLEES

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2011, 10:53:10 am »

The Fighter skill also affects one's ability to avoid damage. A legendary fighter (even with no dodgin' skill) pitted against a bunch of novice mooks will parry everything. But I value the dodging skill more because it is much, much harder to raise.
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2011, 05:07:04 pm »

Dodging is the holy-grail of combat skills, bar none.  Agility is the ultimate stat, by comparison.  If you've got a dwarf in copper and leather, with great ability and dodge, he'll run circles around goblins, striking 3 times for every 1 they lash out, and dodging their blows with ease.  Even with no weapon or fighter skills, that dodge and agility go so far towards safety it's not even funny.

katana

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERY TIME I POST PEOPLE RUN AWAY
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2011, 06:46:53 pm »

Until they get stunned. Then they're screwed.
AND IF THIS FAILS MY IDENTICAL TWIN BROTHER WHO WILL APPEAR IN THE MIGRANT WAVE THAT ARRIVES AFTER MY DEMISE WILL REPLACE ME.
(Tldr: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FRIENDLY FIRE SALT)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2011, 06:48:36 pm »

Until they get stunned. Then they're screwed.

Everything that gets stunned is screwed :|

It's a good thing Dwarves don't spontaneously fall asleep whilst on duty... For now.

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2011, 08:25:42 pm »

Noodly shoggoth death. With more beard
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2011, 08:30:10 pm »

Noodly shoggoth death. With more beard

Urist McTeeth's teeth are tangled.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2012, 12:09:15 am »

I've always associated the Armor User skill to that in the RPG Role Master (or, as my group called it, Chart Master).  The higher the skill, the less movement and maneuver penalties you had when wearing heavier armor.

Dodging is the holy-grail of combat skills, bar none.  Agility is the ultimate stat, by comparison.  If you've got a dwarf in copper and leather, with great ability and dodge, he'll run circles around goblins, striking 3 times for every 1 they lash out, and dodging their blows with ease.  Even with no weapon or fighter skills, that dodge and agility go so far towards safety it's not even funny.
I can confirm this, since one of my militia captains managed to dodge a giant eagle for about two dozen attacks after having her weapon arm broken (made her drop her spear) while waiting for the other seven speardwarves to get to her location.  The eagle could charge and bowl her over, but couldn't land more than two weak attacks after the first disarmed her.  (Oddly enough, it was able to put her in a leg lock with its left wing ... I wasn't aware giant eagles had wrestling skills, but apparently they do; yet another reason I wish I'd had crossbows available at the time.)
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

mikelon

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2012, 01:45:27 am »

Always wondered how you raise "bite" up to legendary in fortress mode. If you have your dwarfs unarmed eventully they will only use their hands in combat negating other skills suck as kicking and biting. Suppose i could modify the raws to make them just as likely to bite as to punch
Pages: [1] 2