Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Connecting Siege Engines to Triggers  (Read 3048 times)

astaldaran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Connecting Siege Engines to Triggers
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2011, 10:28:16 pm »

I like the idea of putting them inside weapon traps.
Wait...you want to be able to put 3X3 siege engines inside 1-tile weapon traps?
The mechanism was built so good, that it came with extra dimensional space.  However as it was fired, dark forms with dark intentions, crept in.

simple really..just put the siege engine inside of a cage and the cage in the trap there by taking advantage of 'cagespace' which is already a well documented branch of dwarven physics.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2011, 12:32:35 am »

LOL, Astaldaran, that cracks me up.  This calls for some Cagespace !!SCIENCE!!  Myreka, no, Youreka, no, Myreka!
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2011, 10:50:12 pm »

The mechanism was built so good, that it came with extra dimensional space.  However as it was fired, dark forms with dark intentions, crept in.
...I'm pretty sure you're being sarcastic, so I won't say anything.

The problem I see with the OP's suggestion is it thwarts the players involvement in its operation.  I enjoy toggling its status.  Fire at will, rotate, etc..  I'd hate to lose that ability.
I'm not sure what the difference is. You could always make a water logic system if you wanted to kill everyone that went through a certain corridor...
Being able to set it manually, strokes my fancy.  A trigger pinches my nipples.  That's all I meant.  If I could have both, I'd be ecstatic.  I'd also love me some trajectory choices aswell as two ammo choices.  Miscellaneous Items(MISS), or Ginormous(OUCH).  Dialogue as follows.

"Angle and Vector, Sir?" 
"NNE, 70 MISS, Make it so!"
And now I'm having trouble understanding what makes it different from a normal ballista...except maybe control from a different area...

To my logic, having a straight up trajectory, would be completely something a dwarf might do.
What, so that he'd hit himself?
Yes. Of course.  Or if it was automatic, it could secure a restricted vicinity like a flapping atomizer, without slowing down production or training.  Are siege missiles friend or foe?  Or just always foe?  I haven't the foggiest.  *shrug*  Ya didn't mention if you thought it dwarfy or not?  *frown*  :-*  Couldn't it propel a rock up through a hatch, the hatch would then prevent back splatter?  Or why can't it propel itself, an enterprising young dwarf could turn a catapult over and ride four catapults into battle.  He might need a crutch or two to act like stilts, but it'd work, wouldn't it?  I dunno.
I don't think any of those ideas would work well. Hatches aren't one-way unless you close them after firing; catapults don't have enough force to propel themselves; etc.

Another thing siegecraft needs changed, is to allow catapults to fire anything, not just rock.  Anotherwords, with an automatic catapult, a dwarf could fire himself, back and forth, via two aimed respectfully at each other.
Hm, although this isn't really related...Dwarven ping-pong?
Elevator.  Fire himself across a chasm, to chop some wood.  Fire the wood back.  Shoot up 6 levels a stray cat.  Hatch could prevent it from falling back down.  Fire down onto my mass pitted cages.  It all goes into trajectory.  Although this idea of ping-pong, yes, has to do with improving travel, or safely securing burrowed dwarfs from wingless threats.  And it would be hilarious to watch, those guys flying back and forth, to practice up their skills.  Forcing them to break their legs, to improve crutch walking.  I can see danger room-like applications springing up, but that's the chance Toady would have to take with any change.
[/quote]
Hm...Neat idea! Too bad pathfinding would be spotty at best.

How about a vertically mounted ballista?

Send a Goblin to the Moon (DF worlds have a moon, right?, or multiple? proceedurally generated combinaions of moons/tides?)
Wouldn't work. Even if you could load goblins into ballistae, they couldn't reach the moon. In theory, they might splat on the ceiling.

simple really..just put the siege engine inside of a cage and the cage in the trap there by taking advantage of 'cagespace' which is already a well documented branch of dwarven physics.
...No, just no. Cages shouldn't work like that, nothing else should work like that, and oh you're not serious aren't you. The internet needs some kind of universal sarcasm sign...
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2011, 01:10:15 am »

How about a vertically mounted ballista?

Send a Goblin to the Moon (DF worlds have a moon, right?, or multiple? proceedurally generated combinaions of moons/tides?)
They have no tides at all, so it looks like they have no moons neither suns yet. Apart from this, they have a ceiling some 12z-levels above, so cosmonautics has to wait.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2011, 03:35:18 am »

Yeah.  That's just the thing I wanted to avoid.  I don't want to kill everything in a corridor, effortlessly.  I enjoy calling out, 'Fire!', with the settings being found exclusively in the siege weapon, with the exception of making it autofiring(no dwarf needed), I would prefer to avoid triggers.  Autofiring is different than triggering tho, in that it was simply autoloading and unmanned/undwarfed.

I would feel overpowered if it power of that magnitude was triggered.  I'm not sure how you wouldn't feel the same way.  All the change would do, would create the desire in Toady, down the road, to add more trap-bypassing critters into the mix, to keep the game FUN.  There are plenty enough trap-bypassing critters as things stand currently, from what I can see.

Yes, the scale would have to change on the weapon trap, but I cannot see any reason whatsoever, to not be permitted use siege ammo in them.  Its not like there isn't already worse big eyed bugs in the game.  Catapult ammo, rocks, are already in weapon traps.  They are stone fall traps.  Its just the heavy bolts we are talking about.  Why do you think they couldn't be put in there? 

Seems safe to me.  The heavy bolts hog up space in stockpiles, it would be nice to have a use for the extras.  Woah this is off topic, and I have no idea how I got here, but I am really sorry.  I'll shutup now.

Sincerely,
Knutor

"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2011, 08:21:07 pm »

Actually, that seems on-topic. Having the ability to fire ballista bolts from weapon traps? Just crazy enough to be worth considering!
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.
Pages: 1 [2]