Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Forgotten Beasts getting syndromes?  (Read 1335 times)

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
Forgotten Beasts getting syndromes?
« on: December 12, 2011, 06:24:23 pm »

So far I've had two forgotten beasts path through the area where my soldiers killed another FB with toxic blood.  Both of these subsequent beasts have gotten "the rot" - the feet rot and start to bleed out after it walks through the blood - which is the syndrome the dead FB blood causes.

I thought FBs were immune to syndromes?
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
Re: Forgotten Beasts getting syndromes?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 07:05:55 pm »

Pictures?
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011, 09:43:24 pm »

Pictures?

Indeed

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I've circled the corpse of Muca Uletsewat, the dead FB with the toxic blood.  Said blood is spattered around the corpse.  You can see the blood trail leading away from it through the water in the cavern left by the bleeding feet of Quothest.  (Who, completely irrelevantly, was a three-legged frog who got rot on all four feet...)

Here is the corpse of Quothest (F) and the living FB Gilafi Arazivathi (G).  Gilafi has rotten feet from having walked through the same blood puddles.  Gilafi didn't leave a blood trail however.

Gilafi's rotten feet.  Quothest stopped bleeding from his feet, but they stayed rotten until my dorfs killed him.  I'm not sure if Gilafi waited until he stopped bleeding to enter the water, or if he resisted that symptom somehow.

But as you can see, I have a couple of FBs who walked through toxic blood and had their feet rot away for their trouble.  They were not like this when they entered the map.  For whatever reason, all the FBs that come through seem to like wandering through roughly the same area (there's another dead FB just off the bottom edge below Muca's corpse), so I'm halfway expecting some more to walk through.  I'll see what happens then.

P.S. Since the letters blink, it took me like 17 tries to get a screen shot with Quothest and Gilafi visible during the "on" blink....
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2011, 09:53:19 pm »

Forgotten Beasts aren't necessarily immune to syndromes, sometimes not even their own. Battlefailed had a weird FB that rotted to death from its own poison. It also created a biotoxin based defense mechanism throughout the fort.
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2011, 10:39:55 pm »

Interesting.  I always thought FBs were immune to syndromes entirely.

It's only too bad this syndrome isn't deadlier than bleeding and rotting from the body parts that come in contact.  I've now had a third FB - "Aril," a giant enemy crab - walk through the blood puddles and get all eight feet infected.  It's currently busy standing in the water bleeding and pouring miasma from its feet.

So far just about every FB that's come up from the depths has followed almost exactly the same path towards my fort.  And behaved almost exactly the same once they get to the 1st cavern level.  They sort of hang about the area where the deadly goo is, meander back and forth a bit, stand around for a while, and eventually get around to knocking down one of my bait doors.  It's quite annoying because they stand around for so long that I often will forget until I get the notice that one of my "bait doors" has been knocked down by so-and-so.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2011, 02:35:18 am »

I distinctly recall reading a thread in the community hall of legends where this was used for defenses.  All invaders, both from above and from below died paralyzed and rotting, within seconds of crossing a particular doorway.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2011, 06:06:30 am »

I distinctly recall reading a thread in the community hall of legends where this was used for defenses.  All invaders, both from above and from below died paralyzed and rotting, within seconds of crossing a particular doorway.

That was the reclamation of Battlefailed, I think.
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2011, 11:02:55 am »

If you look at the forgotten beast raws, you will find that they are only immune to their own syndromes. Forgotten beasts will not attack each other, but one that has "noxious secretions" can potentially infect other beasts - gaseous secretions can hit nearby creatures, and solid/liquid secretions can wash off in water (see the "slime ocean" of Battlefailed/Failcannon) and infect other creatures that swim through it.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2011, 05:14:23 pm »

Epic weaponization time.

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2011, 05:16:37 pm »

is this where we utilise spike traps to create dwarven bioweapon labs, mixing the most virulent syndrome enducing toxins possible and bathing weapons and bolts in the virulent sludge, or sluicing it onto foes while they are channeled through shallow pools, creating a truly deadly and infectious slurry pit of torturous, slow deaths.
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2011, 05:18:01 pm »

is this where we utilise spike traps to create dwarven bioweapon labs, mixing the most virulent syndrome enducing toxins possible and bathing weapons and bolts in the virulent sludge, or sluicing it onto foes while they are channeled through shallow pools, creating a truly deadly and infectious slurry pit of torturous, slow deaths.

Hmph.

Multiple syndromes on one tile...

Multiplied by flowing water...

Pools of syndromes...

Things fall in...

Covered in the stuff....