Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lost my second Fortress due to Animal/Monster Probelms  (Read 384 times)

Simply a legend

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Lost my second Fortress due to Animal/Monster Probelms
« on: December 01, 2011, 12:25:58 pm »

Hey,

ive recently started playing DF with the help of some Tutorials and Guides. But today i lost my second Fortress due to a Giant Earthworm disturbing all works. The first time a naked mole dog did the same. It happens round about at autuum of the first year, shortly before the 2rd immigration wave appears. Those monsters or whatever they are  simply walk through my fortress causing all workers to cancel their work and drop items in the hallways >.> It simply kills my economy, making me unable to brew, cook or build new stuff.
What can i do, to get rid of them? I dont know how they enter my fortress, maybe due to caves i explored while digin down, but i reall took care not too strike the caves/build walls.

greetings,

SaL

WolfeyS

• Bay Watcher
  • My wife just died. Oh, damn nice door that one is.
    • View Profile
Re: Lost my second Fortress due to Animal/Monster Probelms
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 12:28:50 pm »

Place doors up, or station military upfront. Doors are definitely the easiest way to keep random beings out. Later put up cage traps and use the monsters in arenas!
My Steam Account

You just know you're screwed when a dwarf dies of old age.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 12:29:01 pm »

You could always, you know, kill them.

WolfeyS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, 12:32:11 pm »

Yeah I'm pretty sure just random miners drafted into the military could kill them. Cage traps are best though.
My Steam Account

Simply a legend

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2011, 12:38:00 pm »

Well, they walked through my doors, is there any way i can lock them? And well, military is kind of far away xD I havent even tried to smelt metal, because the to times i was about to go and dig for metals that shit happend. So should i really try to use my miners with their pickaxes?
But ill try the cagetrap too, sounds much easier and not too risk for my dwarfs

WolfeyS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2011, 12:46:39 pm »

You could probably just get a 'military' together, and let them punch the things to death. It works too.
Press Q and go over a door to 'lock' it, some monsters and beings can break/open them anyways.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 12:54:52 pm by WolfeyS »
My Steam Account

h45hc0d3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2011, 01:47:13 pm »

Yeah I'm pretty sure just random miners drafted into the military could kill them. Cage traps are best though.

Random miners are amazing at attacking anything unarmored. I had a moody dwarf go crazy (I forbid and then unforbid one of his tasked items to see what it would do), and he was chasing everyone around. He killed four of my war dogs, and started chasing a miner. So I drafted the miner, set a kill order, and watched as his first swing completely decapitated the berserk dwarf. A bunch of my engravers have decided "that's what Toolpeak will be famous for." It's one of their most popular engravings.