Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: What do you think the maximum ages should be?  (Read 1824 times)

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
Re: What do you think the maximum ages should be?
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2011, 12:13:34 am »

Hello there!

I was looking through the RAWs and found the max ages on the different major races.

Dwaves-150/170
Humans-60/120
Kobolds-150/170
Goblins-none
Elves-none

I thought these ages were interesting and decided to share them with you.

What do you guys think the maximum ages should be.
humans seem about right.
dwarves 300/500
elves 800/1200
kobolds 10/20 (but they should breed like rabbits)
goblins 30/40

in my opinion
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

Lovecraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2011, 12:32:53 am »

humans seem about right.
dwarves 300/500
elves 800/1200
kobolds 10/20 (but they should breed like rabbits)
goblins 30/40

in my opinion
I was thinking something more along the lines of this.

Dwarves 250/300
Kobold 20/30 (but large litters)
Goblins 50/70
Elves Ageless

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2011, 12:37:52 am »

Elves/goblins and dwarves/kobolds are mirror images of each other so the respective pairs having similar lifespans makes sense. Dwarves create, kobolds steal, elves live in harmony with nature, goblins live for destruction, and so on.

Really though, elves and goblins having unlimited lifespans is probably just a carryover from Tolkien more than anything else while the dwarven lifespan is somewhat less. On the other hand, giving dwarves a 250-300 year lifespan is going to result in a lot more domination of the world by dwarves.

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2011, 12:46:39 am »

Elves/goblins and dwarves/kobolds are mirror images of each other so the respective pairs having similar lifespans makes sense. Dwarves create, kobolds steal, elves live in harmony with nature, goblins live for destruction, and so on.

Really though, elves and goblins having unlimited lifespans is probably just a carryover from Tolkien more than anything else while the dwarven lifespan is somewhat less. On the other hand, giving dwarves a 250-300 year lifespan is going to result in a lot more domination of the world by dwarves.
agreed, then longer lifespans should result in unfavorably slanted birth rates to over-compensate.
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

Lovecraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2011, 12:56:12 am »

agreed, then longer lifespans should result in unfavorably slanted birth rates to over-compensate.
Or different adulthood ages. For example.

Elves 20
Dwarves 13
Humans 10
Kobolds 4
Goblins 7

Mapleguy555

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2011, 12:58:30 am »

With Kobolds;

Dwarves: 80 - 200
Humans: 80 - 120
Elves: 100 - 10000
Goblins: TROLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLL. 100000 - 10000000.
Kobolds: 5 - 20; Super Breeder Trait.

Without Kobolds;

Dwarves: 100 - 250
Humans: 90 - 140
Elves: 9001+
Goblins: 9000.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2011, 01:01:01 am »

It would make sense that longer-lived species are "children" longer...

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2011, 01:30:49 am »

If kobolds and goblins reached adulthood faster than the other races, then they'd easily swarm the planet by sheer numbers while extending childhood for elves would likely result in their quick extinction since any losses are going to take twice as long to recover from.

There's no real need to change the lifespans since they do a pretty good job of maintaining parity between the various groups.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2011, 12:20:05 pm »

It's actually more messed up than that right now. There is a hard-coded limit of "a couple can only produce 10 children ever" and "married individuals may never re-marry". The adolescents are sent to war over and over while the married adults stay at home working on farms and such. So wars with elves involve a lot of 12 year olds dying and if the elves haven't been conquered after a long time, they become a sterile race.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2011, 01:36:17 pm »

You sure about that ten-child-per-couple limit? My mayor has 11 children. Though I may have misinterpreted, and the ten-child thing is only for elves.
くコ:彡

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2011, 01:56:14 pm »

You sure about that ten-child-per-couple limit? My mayor has 11 children. Though I may have misinterpreted, and the ten-child thing is only for elves.
It might be just for worldgen. Flarechannels certainly had ridiculously huge family trees now that I think about it.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.
Pages: 1 [2]