Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fuel Problem  (Read 730 times)

Faeryx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fuel Problem
« on: November 13, 2011, 01:00:29 pm »

I just checked my stocks of bars to make sure I have coke or charcoal. I have 15 charcoal and 5 coke. I go to the furnace because I wish to make some more, but it tells me that I can't do anything from the furnace, melt object, smelt ore, or make coke from lignite/bituminous coal. Any explanations?
Give them a nice trap gauntlet to run, maybe a "dodge-me" trap over a 10-z pit lined with menacing copper spikes, so they explode into greasy goblin gibs on impact and leave the lovely iron bits for your dwarves to collect at leisure.

PotatoLord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fuel Problem
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2011, 01:06:15 pm »

It's possible that all of your fuel is being hauled, which would make it unusable until it reaches the stockpile. Other than that, I can't think of anything.
Dude, you've created a Yeti with nothing to lose.

You've created Yeti Batman.

Frying Doby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2011, 01:08:13 pm »

Had this problem once.
Had enough fuel to start operations but all options at the smelter were red....you mean the smelter do you? The wood furnace canīt do that fancy metal smelting stuff. I built another smelter, which functioned as normal. I removed the old smelter and rebuilt it at the same place and no problem after that.
Ordering stuff via the manager worked too.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2011, 02:52:09 pm »

all items claimed by existing jobs?
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2011, 04:46:02 pm »

They could be forbiden, probaly from a dead caravan.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2011, 07:14:22 pm »

Smelters in burrow-assigned areas sometimes act funny.

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2011, 09:33:58 pm »

Smelters in burrow-assigned areas sometimes act funny.

Happens with other "custom" workshops(smelters use reactions in the raws). I'd been wondering for a couple of days why my wood painting workshop and the butter churn had all the options redded out, saw this, cut a hole in the burrows and now everything's awesome. Thanks.

Another thing to check is doors and general materials access. Try building a wall of coke next to the smelter, if you don't have the option to, something's blocking the path from the smelter to the fuel.

Faeryx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2011, 06:59:22 am »

Well I checked and none of it is being hauled, none of my burrows are active, and I haven't forbidden any of it. It is just sitting there in the stockpile. So I will rebuild my three smelters and see what happens.
Give them a nice trap gauntlet to run, maybe a "dodge-me" trap over a 10-z pit lined with menacing copper spikes, so they explode into greasy goblin gibs on impact and leave the lovely iron bits for your dwarves to collect at leisure.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2011, 02:09:10 pm »

The burrows don't have to be active. Mine rarely are.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2011, 02:58:26 am »

Maybe moving charcoal closer to smelter will fix it?
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Sunkwell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2011, 11:01:53 am »

Introducing Magma will solve the problem just as well.
He took joy in slaughter lately.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2011, 11:04:38 am »

I'd suggest clearing out burrows from the 3x3 space of the smelter. Else wise try queuing up the jobs in the manager, many people have reported that that will fix the problem for the queued jobs.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.