Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Not much metal?  (Read 3703 times)

Faeryx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Not much metal?
« on: December 09, 2011, 12:35:10 pm »

So I have now dug down 34 zlevels including cavern layers and have not found anything except tetrahedrite and galena. I am beginning to worry that I might not find any useful metal. I am assuming this is a bug or something, but if not what exactly am I supposed to do?
Give them a nice trap gauntlet to run, maybe a "dodge-me" trap over a 10-z pit lined with menacing copper spikes, so they explode into greasy goblin gibs on impact and leave the lovely iron bits for your dwarves to collect at leisure.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Not much metal?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2011, 12:47:39 pm »

It happens.  Metal is scarce in the current version and many sites don't have the right ores to make steel or even bronze.

You can trade crafts for metal from trade caravans, but the amount you can get each year is very limited.

You can hold of sieges indefinitely with stone walls and drawbridges.  Once you understand how mechanism and pumps work you can build elaborate mechanical deathtraps to kill off invaders without even needing much of a military.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2011, 01:55:08 pm »

Anvils can be your friend when melted down. Its a little pricey trade for getting a steel/iron bar when its melted down of course.:(. Trade for ores,bars, flux if necessary. Dwarves can use goblin armor if you want to stoop that low. It just adds a extra challenge, so just start creating crafts to trade. Trading with the humans for metal armor/cages/weapons can help for meltable purposes
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

daggaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2011, 02:43:21 pm »

not sure if obvious or not, but..

in world creation, toggle metal abundance upwards (frequent seems to work nicely), and in the embark screen, make sure you pick sites that have both shallow and deep metalS, in PLURAL.  So far, ive not had a hard time finding a newby friendly site, and usually i will restart or die horribly before I even get around to training my metalsmiths up to legendary.

Faeryx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2011, 02:57:49 pm »

I did turn up the frequency to the maximum and I made sure I chose a sight with both shallow and deep metals. In any case, I'm sure I'll be fine caravans will just have to be my friend.
Give them a nice trap gauntlet to run, maybe a "dodge-me" trap over a 10-z pit lined with menacing copper spikes, so they explode into greasy goblin gibs on impact and leave the lovely iron bits for your dwarves to collect at leisure.

Mushroo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2011, 03:24:10 pm »

Magma smelter, goblinite, anvils. :)

Drawde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2011, 03:50:48 pm »

When choosing a site remember to check each biome in the site.  Sometimes that 4x4 site with shallow and deep metals has multiple biomes, and the first one shown is simply one square of the 16.

Also, huge caverns can eat up the metals.  All that empty space may have been ore before it was removed to make the cavern.

Faeryx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2011, 04:17:49 pm »

That really stinks because my caverns are HUGE. I have never seen ones so big before, one level takes up almost an entire zlevel. The thing is though that there aren't even trace amounts of any other ore in the cavern walls. Just galena and tetrahedrite, that is all I have found period.

Drawde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2011, 04:20:39 pm »

Technically galena and tatrahedrite ARE plural, since it's more than one type of ore.

Also, the deep metals may be way down there near the bottom of the magma sea.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2011, 06:08:11 pm »

it happens. I'm the lucky exploiter of a fort sitting currently on top of a galena, tetrahedrite, casserite and native silver mine

At least my blunt weapons will rock
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2011, 06:12:47 pm »

Cassiterite yields tin, tetrahedrite yields copper.  With those you can make bronze.  Bronze isn't as good as steel, but it's decent for edged weapons and armor.  And you can make blunt weapons from silver, of course.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2011, 07:17:19 pm »

Galena and tetrahedrite both yield silver when smelted in large quantities, which is decent for blunt weapons. (1 bar silver per 2 galena OR 5 tetrahedrite, I believe) They're mainly the ores of lead and copper-- copper can be made into weapons or armor, but they're not very good. Lead can't be made into weapons or armor outside of a strange mood (and is soft enough to be worthless for such), but you can always train a metalcrafter on it, and if you have enough galena and tetrahedrite to have lots of leftover silver, a high-end metalcrafter working with silver could probably give you enough income to buy iron (for steel) and tin (for bronze).

Goblin attackers can also be a nice source of iron, cheekily called "goblinite" in some circles. Give them a nice trap gauntlet to run, maybe a "dodge-me" trap over a 10-z pit lined with menacing copper spikes, so they explode into greasy goblin gibs on impact and leave the lovely iron bits for your dwarves to collect at leisure.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2011, 07:22:39 pm »

ah yeah, not cassirite, garnierite
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Faeryx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2011, 11:46:55 am »

Galena and tetrahedrite both yield silver when smelted in large quantities, which is decent for blunt weapons. (1 bar silver per 2 galena OR 5 tetrahedrite, I believe) They're mainly the ores of lead and copper-- copper can be made into weapons or armor, but they're not very good. Lead can't be made into weapons or armor outside of a strange mood (and is soft enough to be worthless for such), but you can always train a metalcrafter on it, and if you have enough galena and tetrahedrite to have lots of leftover silver, a high-end metalcrafter working with silver could probably give you enough income to buy iron (for steel) and tin (for bronze).

Goblin attackers can also be a nice source of iron, cheekily called "goblinite" in some circles. Give them a nice trap gauntlet to run, maybe a "dodge-me" trap over a 10-z pit lined with menacing copper spikes, so they explode into greasy goblin gibs on impact and leave the lovely iron bits for your dwarves to collect at leisure.

Sounds like a solid plan.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2011, 11:48:36 am »

If you have flux and can own goblins (drowning traps, magma, whatever) then you can melt down the iron shit they drop and forge steel. If you go this way, magma is very good because it torches everything but the iron.
Pages: [1] 2