Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Early Siege Defense?  (Read 4709 times)

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
Re: Early Siege Defense?
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2011, 06:34:38 pm »

An entrance you can lock down easily, some sniping towers and plenty of crossbows. Wooden ones are cheapest to start off with, and free up more of whatever metal you can find in the first couple of years for bolts.

Oh, and unless you've reached the magma or have absolute masses of coal I suggest you don't melt down the goblin weapons and armour until you've beaten the second ambush, even if you got lucky with a mood and have a legendary weaponsmith. You still only get a third of the metal back, and it's probably better to have twenty dwarves equipped with crap weapons and armour than half a dozen with all-masterwork kit.

Wait, since when have dwarves been able to wear goblin made armor?  Weapons I understand but dwarves can wear the armor now?

He means melting it down and making new armor out of the resulting bars.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2011, 06:45:45 pm »

dwarves can wear goblin clothes in 31.25 the [stout] tag does not work/exist, meaning goblins and dwarves are the same size
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2011, 12:03:49 am »

As building-destroyers cant attack something above them, i recommend building an arch of stairs and hatches (with the "security checkpoint" roofed over, of course).  That way all you have to do is lock the outer hatches and nothing can bother your fort.

Roraborialisforealis

• Bay Watcher
  • [HATEBILLION:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2011, 01:48:12 am »

As building-destroyers cant attack something above them, i recommend building an arch of stairs and hatches (with the "security checkpoint" roofed over, of course).  That way all you have to do is lock the outer hatches and nothing can bother your fort.
In fact! You can stop the hidden fun stuff from ever occurring by building a floor on top of the molasses floor! THEN YOU DONT NEED TO CHOOSE BETWEEN THE LOLLY POP AND SURVIVAL!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 2 [3]